PoC

Site Upgrades

PoC

Please expect some downtime on Wednesday (c. 1pm onwards EST, 6pm UK) and Friday (c. 4am onwards  EST, 9am UK) as we undergo some server upgrades and modifications.

PoC
  • Step 1 (Wednesday's work) is now complete.
  • Step 2 will take place tomorrow (Friday, 24th July) during the early hours.

If you visit during that time and get a mass of weird errors and strange results please don't be too alarmed! (A little alarmed is fine though. ;-))

PoC

The server updates have now been completed.

Nothing should look any different on the site, but it should behave a little differently (hopefully speedier).

The only other difference is that "Olde Yoggie" now costs an extra $1,000 a year more to run. Hey ho.

PoC

Did I say the only difference?

There is one more.

To save a few extra resources, Yoggie now archives forum threads that have received no replies in 10 years. Archiving means that the threads are still readable but you can no longer post to them (saves some processing). Such threads/topics can be manually "un-archived" and made postable again if necessary.

TheHistorian

y-s has been and still is dog slow for me of late (last few weeks).  I'm not having this issue on any other sites.

PoC

I know a few people recently (including us) have had issues due to their router/modem/ISP.

We sorted our connection speed issue by switching off the router/modem for a couple of hours.

Right now it seems quite speedy for us.

yockenthwaite

I know a few people recently (including us) have had issues due to their router/modem/ISP.

We sorted our connection speed issue by switching off the router/modem for a couple of hours.

Right now it seems quite speedy for us.

I tried that switch off technique in the middle of last night Paul. Didn't solve my problem. I can only connect to Yoggie via very slow university VPN or very expensive PAYG 3G on iPad. My normal home including Wifi access won't work on tons of devices.

Has there been a DNS change because of the upgrade? Because that could explain the problems some of us are having. It may also mean it takes days for the problem to go away, as the DNS changes are slowly propagated around the Internet, including to ISPs.

I also tried changing my router to use Google DNS and Open DNS, but it still couldn't find Yoggie, including pings timing out.

I've been having huge problems accessing the site ever since the upgrades started this week. It's astonishing I managed to post another Lovecraftathon blog post in the middle of it all ;)

Now to turn off my expensive PAYG 3G again. I'll be back here maybe tomorrow.

Azimuth

I'm wondering whether it's anything to do with MTU size; in my experience the weirdest network problems (where some people experience really slow or unavailable sites, but others can access them just fine) have tended to be MTU-related. In a recent work-related issue with MTU, we discovered blocking ICMP traffic (ie. through an overzealous firewall config) actually messes up automatic MTU detection. That might mean something to someone, or it might in this case be a very red herring :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Path_MTU_Discovery

Alternatively, it might be IPv4 vs. IPv6 issues raising their ugly heads...

(Personally, the site seems quite speedy for me too - both at home and in the office)

Tony Williams

This is way out of my depth but I read that BT are trying out IP6 conversion trials in various areas - are you with BT for your internet on the slow connection yockenthwaite ?

If so, I'd suggest doing a Google for this IP6 stuff BT are doing and seeing if that is a valid lead.

PoC

We're looking into this further. Helen & I are still having similar issues.

Strangely some people can overcome access/speed problems by switching their IP addresses.

yockenthwaite

This is way out of my depth but I read that BT are trying out IP6 conversion trials in various areas - are you with BT for your internet on the slow connection yockenthwaite ?

No I'm not with BT, and my Internet is generally very fast, except when I go through VPN, which tends to slow things a lot.

But I can't reach Yoggie at all through my ISP (Zen) - its DNS won't find it, nor will Google DNS.

Azimuth

No I'm not with BT, and my Internet is generally very fast, except when I go through VPN, which tends to slow things a lot.

But I can't reach Yoggie at all through my ISP (Zen) - its DNS won't find it, nor will Google DNS.

That's interesting - I'm with Zen too (have been for years), and I've not noticed any problems. I have an FTTC connection through a BT FTTC modem and an Apple Airport Extreme. www.yog-sothoth.com is currently resolving for me to the IPv4 address of 66.7.203.134. Might be worth trying to ping that address or set up a local /etc/hosts entry (or your operating system's equivalent) to see whether bypassing DNS helps at all. It's certainly an odd state of affairs - fingers crossed there's a resolution soon!

yockenthwaite

That's interesting - I'm with Zen too (have been for years), and I've not noticed any problems. I have an FTTC connection through a BT FTTC modem and an Apple Airport Extreme. www.yog-sothoth.com is currently resolving for me to the IPv4 address of 66.7.203.134. Might be worth trying to ping that address or set up a local /etc/hosts entry (or your operating system's equivalent) to see whether bypassing DNS helps at all. It's certainly an odd state of affairs - fingers crossed there's a resolution soon!

Update: DNS is working for me, giving the right IP address, but Yoggie is still unreachable. Pinging Yoggie which I'd already tried early on still times out through Zen. If I fire up the uni VPN (as now) ping works fine.

And I can't reach the direct IP address + port combo through Zen, unless going through the VPN. Pinging the direct IP address only works if my VPN is fired up, not through Zen. Paul is looking into this further for me.

We don't have fibre yet. It was finally added to our street about 9 months ago and we're still getting around to switching to it. Meanwhile we have an ADSL contract. We've been with Zen since 2004.

trevlix

We have found some issues with traffic flooding protection that we are working on alleviating. Basically the setting is such that if you hit the site X number of times in Y seconds, you'll temporarily get blocked. The numbers are too low, so we will be increasing them to see if that fixes some of the issues.

This is likely the cause of many of the issues some of you are seeing. (I was getting stopped by it too)

Thanks for everyone's patience as we work through these issues!

PoC

To help overcome some of the remaining issues, and after discussion with experts, we're going nuclear.

The morning of Thursday, 30th July will see a complete software and hardware rebuild of "Olde Yoggie" - root and branch - and a move to RAID 10. This means in the space of a week YSDC will have physically expanded by a factor of about seven.

Downtime is expected to be a few hours as most of the rebuild/new server is being done offline before being moved into place.

Good thing those MoNC monies are expected soon!

carpocratian

I'm finding it harder and harder to read the forums these days.  At least 75% of the time that I go to the forums and try to pull up individual discussions, they just keep loading and eventually time out.  I have a fast connection and a fast computer and am not having this problem anywhere else.  Is anyone else experiencing this?

carpocratian

We have found some issues with traffic flooding protection that we are working on alleviating. Basically the setting is such that if you hit the site X number of times in Y seconds, you'll temporarily get blocked. The numbers are too low, so we will be increasing them to see if that fixes some of the issues.

This is likely the cause of many of the issues some of you are seeing. (I was getting stopped by it too)

Thanks for everyone's patience as we work through these issues!

That would explain the issue I was having.  I tend to go through discussion boards and open the posts I want to read in separate tabs before going through them.

trevlix

That would explain the issue I was having.  I tend to go through discussion boards and open the posts I want to read in separate tabs before going through them.

I do that too, and I was getting blocked as well. We are increasing the amount of hits before you get blocked so this should alleviate some of it.

yockenthwaite

Yay! I can get back into Yoggie on wifi, both through a web browser, and in Tapatalk on my iOS devices. Thank you for tweaking things :)

trevlix

No problem. Understand that if you open up a bunch o threads at once there's still a chance you'll get blocked (I've seen a few get blocked today). But this should stem the tide for now.

yockenthwaite

No problem. Understand that if you open up a bunch o threads at once there's still a chance you'll get blocked (I've seen a few get blocked today). But this should stem the tide for now.

I don't usually use the web browser. I mainly use Tapatalk, and wonder if that might be a factor. It's possible to read threads quite quickly on there. But I shall try to read more slowly, just in case :)

Boris

Woohoo! I can get back on the site! Thanks to all those tweaking the workings in the background.

Graham

I've been having intermittent problems accessing the files sections, every so often I get messages saying that yog-sothoth.com is timing out.

TheHistorian

I do that too, and I was getting blocked as well. We are increasing the amount of hits before you get blocked so this should alleviate some of it.

I was going to post basically the same thing.

It seems better today.  Out of curiosity, does the site get enough traffic to need that sort of throttling, or is it just relative versus hardware limits?

MrHandy

I've been experiencing that too for the last week or so. Hopefully the site upgrades in a couple of days will fix that.

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now