PoC

Site Upgrades

PoC

Yes a hopeful title, but here we go. :)

After seven years we're actively looking at upgrading/updating "Old Yoggie". We have some ideas in mind but are keen to hear what things you'd be interested in seeing (and/or perhaps not seeing).

What changes/advancements do you think would be advantageous (also what do you already like on the site)? While we can't guarantee to implement them all, we'd love to hear your ideas & suggestions.

Thanks!

Paul

Newbunkle

Report buttons so we can easily alert moderators to problem posts or advertising.

DrummerDave

Things I like already:

- Scrolling Forum posts in left nav

- Overall forum structure

- One-click yog radio on left nav

- Actually, now that I look at it, I really like all of the left nav, from the scrolling forum posts to the latest journal entries

Things I would like to see:

- Product database with forum integration (ala BGG) - this could offer not only the opportunity to build collections and have review integration, but also allow people to build lists from the db, displaying what books they used on a campaign, what books offer similar narratives/stories, or even link them to particular authors (i.e. here are all the books with SDA-written scenarios in them)

- Cleaner journal integration - aside from the left nav links, it's really hard to see/find people's journals and understand what is available. Could journals just be another type of forum? the forums are so easy to find and use, but it seems journals are fairly hidden from view

- On that thought, with expanding journal functions, it would be great to see how many people view journals, which is something already available in the forums

Thanks for reaching out Paul!

nickedwardscru

I'd second a greater ability to manage collections with comprehensive database; plus some kind of index of scenarios and products by authors, monsters, basic plots. I'm not sure how you would manage spoilers with the latter but i would like the ability to find a, for instance, 'Classic-era one shot with mi-go', or 'modern-era in Africa'...

...and if i could also quickly see from the database if something i didnt own was for sale.trade by another member that would be great too....

MechSpike

I agree, the biggest change I would like to see personally, is a search system for the Reviews, or some way of seeing a top 10 list, or even be able to just organize all the reviews in different ways (by author or rating etc)

I second the left nav bar. I love the scrolling forum posts.

Khelbiros

Hmm, I'd definitely like the journals to work like modern blog software. Maybe themes/skins for the site? The current look and feel of the site feels a bit dated to me.

Newbunkle

Oh yeah, enhanced journals would be great. I find them a bit hard to read, but I like reading people's actual plays.

nickedwardscru

there might be a variation on the journals which encourages people to post much shorter playthroughs/tips of scenarios even if they dont want to keep a full journal. I find it useful to choose something to run and be able to see a collated batch of 'what happened when i ran it'.

...also I'm surprised there isnt more of a market for actual pbem....the site you link to seems pretty quiet and perhaps having the ability to actually run games on ysdc would encourage use. I use rpol but i am less confident of getting good players there....

PoC

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions so far. We've put them on a list. :)

I'm hoping that among the site updates some will include the likes of: post reporting, topic merging, forum file attachments, personal forum avatars and further flexibility in the RSS feeds.

On a more immediate timescale, there may be some downtime tomorrow (20 Jan 0800 GMT) as the underlying server software gets an upgrade.

Paul

jorune

I wonder if there are any options to improve the chat room.

1) If someone puts a url in their chat message then all the chat text becomes underlined. Quick fix, logout and then log back in.

2) As you move your mouse around the chat window the windows occasionally flicker.

How much choice do you get for Chat room software? If you wanted to switch or upgrade how much flexibility are you allowed from the web company you are hosting the site on?

PoC

1) I've tried the URL thing in the chatroom, but couldn't replicate it just now. I wonder if there's a more complex trigger? - Which browser do you normally use?

We have freedom to choose the chatroom software. We use this one as it integrates with the current site's login information and is fairly easy to use. There are upgrades to it now available, which we will try when we get chance.

While we updated the server software without much interruption to the main site, we're currently trying to resolve a couple of issues relating to the Wiki and Innsmouth House. Hopefully it won't take too long!

Paul

knas

An update to the forum model would be nice. Most forums are able to post youtube clips / wikipedia links with the simple use of tags now a days.

Also I love the fact that the site is so bright, many cthulhu / horror forums use black backgrounds, which is useless! Nothing more tiring for the eye.

Badger

Two things for me:

I really really really wish there was a top level search function on the home page. One text field, and a drop down menu that would allow me to focus the search on News, Forums, Product Database, Reviews, and maybe a couple more. Just having news search on the home page, then then forum search buried in smaller font on the forums page, is still pretty clunky.

I also wish there were *less* elements on the home page right and left navs. There are so many items, the sections towards the bottom get lost in the shuffle. I had no idea (or had forgotten, at least) that there's a calendar at the bottom right. But there are three links for becoming a Patron on the home page. Does there need to be that many? And while i appreciate the PoC on Twitter section, it does take a good chunk of real estate.

Cheers,

-=badger

p.s. Oh, and because Tom won't let me live it down if i don't bring it up...Papyrus!!!

PoC

Some excellent points!

For immediate effect, I've reduced the Twitter box to just a single entry (which should save some column length). The Patron scheme is alas, vital to the site's continued existence. Tell you what, if you become one, I'll see about reducing the number of links. ;)

The Patron links are hopefully not too obtrusive (worth a comparison with EN World)? - but it does raise an interesting point on how people find out about Patronage and whether it's of interest. I think I'll start another thread on that...

- and yes, the Papyrus font text logo will be changing. :)

Cheers.

Please keep the comments & ideas coming, thank you!

Paul

christian

I'd love a better presnetation of the journals, and the ability to include pictures, drawings or photographs

glyph

A scenario/campaign database sounds like a good idea, with searchable terms and links to products, reviews and advice (or at least somewhere to marshall the volumes of information on 'The Haunting' that have been written).

jorune
1) I've tried the URL thing in the chatroom, but couldn't replicate it just now. I wonder if there's a more complex trigger? - Which browser do you normally use?

We have freedom to choose the chatroom software. We use this one as it integrates with the current site's login information and is fairly easy to use. There are upgrades to it now available, which we will try when we get chance.

While we updated the server software without much interruption to the main site, we're currently trying to resolve a couple of issues relating to the Wiki and Innsmouth House. Hopefully it won't take too long!

Paul

I use Firefox 3.5 on xp, fully patched. I tried to recreate the problem on my own as well but could not. I would be intrigued to look at the release notes for the upgrades to see if they mention it as a bug fix. Helen is familiar with how the problem manifests itself. Why not recreating the problem with multiple users, you could ask the regular chatters on Sunday night for their assistance?

PoC

Excellent idea. Hope to see people in the Yoggie chat room tomorrow evening!

Paul

Badger
Some excellent points!

For immediate effect, I've reduced the Twitter box to just a single entry (which should save some column length). The Patron scheme is alas, vital to the site's continued existence. Tell you what, if you become one, I'll see about reducing the number of links. ;)

Oh, i totally understand the necessity of the patronage. It just felt that having three links for it on one page was a bit much, that's all.

And blackmail will get you everywhere! ;)

The Patron links are hopefully not too obtrusive (worth a comparison with EN World)?

Gaahh, i see what you mean! And the top article about a possible Gamma World 4e doesn't help, either!!

-=b

darryll
Hmm, I'd definitely like the journals to work like modern blog software. Maybe themes/skins for the site? The current look and feel of the site feels a bit dated to me.

I really, really like the look and feel of the site. If there is one thing I do not want to see change is the visual look.

One of the reasons (among many) I have this site as my homepage is it's mellow color scheme and easy to read format. A nice breather before striking out into the visual noise of the intra-nets.

I would, however, like to raise a hand for better navigation of the journals. I enjoy reading them but they are a bit of a pain to access.

DiscountNinja

I have to admit, I really like the visual feel of the site. It's a very comfortable, familiar, soft style that makes for easy reading. I feel that it mixes the red/black coloured text very well too - too much red and it would be a strain to read, but too much black and it would look boring, I think the balance is just right.

I enjoy the scrolling forum posts box too, makes it easy to jump into a dicussion of interest and the twitter box a nice touch.

I don't know if anything can be done to improve the "Find Players" section, as it doesn't seem to be particularly sucessful ... (Perhaps at the very least a way to tell how old an entry is?)

Krypter

Large, customizable avatars. Larger fonts. Top 10 lists of best sourcebooks, supplements, etc. voted on by members; that kind of info is invaluable to newbies.

I had no idea there were journals around.

And is it me or is the Sections section completely empty?

A simpler integrated menu system would be much easier on the eyes. Right now I'm looking at 3.5 menus on my screen (left, top, middle, sub-middle forum nav).

Site logo could use a reboot too. Hm, maybe I can work on something there...

tlynch999
p.s. Oh, and because Tom won't let me live it down if i don't bring it up...Papyrus!!!

I actually had to go and sift thru this thread to make sure Badger mentioned this, only cuz he gave me *such* a hard time when he saw it on OLoS! It's all good tho'. I got him back when I paid him with a check wrapped in a toilet paper wrapper...whose brand was written in *Papyrus*. The irony of using "Papyrus" on toilet paper...

Anyway...

It's been touched on, but I'd like to see a search that works. I have a hard time finding things if I know something's mentioned. Keywords seem to return anything and everything. Sir PoC, I'm not sure if it's cost prohibitive, but Google's site search works wonders...you can even test it out by putting the YSDC domain in there and give it a whirl: http://www.google.com/sitesearch/

Krypter

And here I thought using the Papyrus typeface was considered a crime against humanity in graphic design circles...

reemul
And here I thought using the Papyrus typeface was considered a crime against humanity in graphic design circles...
Well, yes, but maybe that's what the webmaster's secret masters demand. I'm just glad no Elder God has attempted to bring back the <blink> tag.