Sign in to follow this  
Gol-Goroth

The Legacy of Arrius Lurco - updates

Eugene
We are entering a very exciting stage of this project's development. I am no longer the only person working on this, in fact, others are much more busy than I am with it.

Art, Editing, Maps, and soon layout... As an author and publisher, it's thrilling.

Any updates on this project?

Gol-Goroth
Any updates on this project?

Sure...

UPDATED JUNE 18th, 2010

With the release of More Adventures in Arkham Country sort of dragging itself out, The Legacy of Arrius Lurco was put on the back burner.

But with that book due to go to the printer in the next three weeks, Tom and I are going to be getting to work on this again in July. Our plan it to rework some of the manuscript to make it a little less rail roadish and a little more of a sandbox. We're replacing one monster with something brand new, adding a scene here and there to make things a little longer and fuller. The inital round of editing is done, this is now the final round of polishing up. Scott Aniolowski has agreed to join Tom and I for the final round of revisions. Our hope is that over the next six to eight weeks a much improved manuscript will be ready for layout.

Layout is standing by for the final manuscript.

Interior art is 100% in house.

Maps - Some are in house, a second round of map assignments will be going out in the next few weeks.

There's been no reason to rush this because of the project ahead of it. But as soon as that project is out The Legacy of Arrius Lurco becomes our top priority.

StephanieMcAlea
Maps - Some are in house, a second round of map assignments will be going out in the next few weeks.

These going to me?

tlynch999
These going to me?

Well, MRP *does* have a cartographer. I think we'll use him...

Gol-Goroth

July 17th Update - Progress is slow, but steady, on this project.

I am in the process of re-working the manuscript, to reflect play test and editorial suggestions. The result is that this is becoming a much more interesting, colorful, dynamic and dangerous campaign. Like new monsters? We’ll have at least three now! The eternal struggle between railroad and sandbox continues… Is it possible to put a sandbox ON a railroad car? We’ll see. I think so… Our cartographer is now working on a map of the city of Rome, showing the hills and neighborhoods, to make running a game in this urban center easier and more interesting for players. We also have a WONDERFUL fellow providing MRP with spot on Latin translations (Take THAT haters!).

Currently I am adding further options for keepers in the 2nd scenario. We’re not rushing this, as More Adventures in Arkham Country is due out any day now, and we’d want a few months between releases either way. We DO hope to have this out in the fall of 2010.

That’s all for now…

Tigger_MK4

Sounds good, look forward to seeing the book, Osk !

p.s. I loved the conceit of the white mice in "Tales of Death and Darkness" by the way.

Gol-Goroth

If you're going to do something fanciful anywhere in the mythos, a Bed and Breakfast in Kingsport would be the place to do it. Glad you liked that, and hell, glad you even read "Tales of Death and Darkness".

Ballyon

Is this resource flexible as to time period or is it fixed during the reign of a particular emperor or something similar? I was hoping to have the book in hand before beginning my new Cthulhu Invictus campaign, but with a projected release date of Fall 2010 that won't be possible. I'm trying to start the game in A.D. 79 and was wondering if that date would be feasible to use with this campaign.

Gol-Goroth

The campaign is set late in the reign of Hadrian, so it's later than 79. HOWEVER, it does not need to be set in any specific time. You can easily place it earlier as it touches on no specific historical events.

StephanieMcAlea

Hi Ballyon, my Cthulhu Invictus scenarios are also set in AD79 (the year my home town was "founded" as a Roman Garrison for the XXth legion) and having done a couple of maps for the book I can reassure you that I will find it equally as useful for my players (by possibly having either time gate knowledge or my characters sons carry on their mythos fighting legacy). I think the issue for me is more of a distance as 'TLoAL' takes place a little way from my usual games set in Britannia.

...and of course as Osk has said... I didn't get the impression from my brief notes that TLoAL was time-tied or era specific.

:)

Dr_Locrian

OK, now that More Adventures is in the bag, the poking and pestering about TLoAL can begin again! Er, any updates on this puppy coming in the near future? This book definitely tops my wish list for the rest of the year, along with Bookhounds of London.

tlynch999

We at MRP just looooooove fans like you. :D

Osk is working on edits now, and Steff is working on some more maps. We may or may not be adding a couple pieces of art, but we hope to get this seriously underway in the coming months...while we work on our scenarios for the *next* book. ;)

Gol-Goroth

Update from Author…

Hey there everyone.

Well I am hard at work on rewriting / editing “The Legacy of Arrius Lurco”. The project is becoming bigger, better, more detailed and gaining a lot more depth. New monsters, spells and encounters are being added, to reflect our first editor’s comments and player feedback from one and a half playtests (the 2nd group is half way through the campaign).

I am on the edits / rewrites of the first section of the final scenario. I have at this point 51 pages left to go, but that might change as the length of the book grows. A sandbox requires more words than a railroad after all. Currently the book is a tad bit more than 80% edited / rewritten.

Once I am done it gets a coupled of read throughs, a formal final copy edit, layout and some proof reads. This post writing production period is a lot longer than most people realize, myself included until a few short months ago. At best from the final version of the manuscript being done until we go to print could be 5 months. Yeah, seriously, it will probably be five months. Who knew?

Our best estimate, our most hopeful guess, is that “The Legacy of Arrius Lurco” will be released in February 2011. Yeah, I know, that sort of blows, but that’s the best we can do. Honestly, for a small company like MRP that’s actually not bad at all. We have a great team who will be working very hard on this as soon as the manuscript hits their desks.

MY hope is to have the edits / rewrites done before midnight August 16th, but that’ll be tough to do. I’m going to do my best.

Tigger_MK4

Thats not so bad...after all we do have MA(N)iAC (and Maulm and so on) to keep us busy until then, and the timings good for me : My sunday night group will be playing D&D 4e (meh) until then.

:-)

Gol-Goroth
Thats not so bad...after all we do have MA(N)iAC (and Maulm and so on) to keep us busy until then, and the timings good for me : My sunday night group will be playing D&D 4e (meh) until then.

:-)

Chaosium should have the monograph from the Cthulhu Invictus scenario contest out before too long. I'll probably have a scenario in that one called "Blood and Glory".

Tigger_MK4
Chaosium should have the monograph from the Cthulhu Invictus scenario contest out before too long. I'll probably have a scenario in that one called "Blood and Glory".

Excellent - I'd forgotten about that.

I'm a campaign kind-a guy...single adventures are all very well, but gimme a campaign every time...but always nice to see stuff coming out.

Although there are a few titles I wouldnt want to see from MRP...say for example these which I came up with while doing some stuff for Tom....

Gol-Goroth
.say for example these which I came up..

Oh Man! LOL

Gol-Goroth

Author Update -

Plugging away at this guys, trying to get the manuscript edited and re-written before the final editorial passes. I've been hitting this hard but it's going well. Quite well pleased with my progress. I found a nice online percentage calculator to help me keep track of my progress and motivate me. The TLoAL edits / re-write are now 91.5% complete. I'm on page 250 of 273, just 23 odd pages left to go.

My goals is to have this complete by Sunday night, spend a few days cleaning it up, and then send it to Tom and SDA for a good, critical once over.

Maps are being worked on by MRP's Cartographer, who rocks.

Will be sending out more phrases for Latin Translation this week now that he's back from Gencon.

Badger is doing some research, looking into ideas for artistic boards, headers and that sort of thing. I guess that means the project is sort of in Pre-Layout. How cool is that. @Badger - You also rock.

Gol-Goroth

Author Update -

Roughly 18 weeks of edits, revisions, corrections, additions, new content and stress is now complete. The Legacy of Arrius Lurco, 2nd edition is now complete. It’s been a very long road for me, a difficult road, but the project and the fans are worth it. A long and dangerous campaign is now longer, more detailed and contains a lot more ways for the investigators to die.

Now starts the next phases of the project. Proof reading, copyediting, and layout, getting the last few maps, tweaking the cover design and designing the back cover. We figure five months…twenty weeks… and then we’ll go to print. 1 million things can still go wrong, it could be a long longer than twenty weeks, but that’s fate.

Accept the things to which fate binds you, and love the people with whom fate brings you together, but do so with all your heart.

Marcus Aurelius

Gol-Goroth

Latest version of the manuscript is spell checked. Now I just need to give it a quick read through before sending "into the office" for review.

Gol-Goroth

Just hit send on the e-mail which hands off TLoAL to MRP offices for review before it's final round of editing. Did some checking and discovered I've been working on this since November 30th, 2008.

Cthulhudude

Very big grats, Osk. Now don't you have other things to dive right into? :)

Pookie

Of course, it is time that DaveL and I took a look at Cthulhu Invictus, otherwise we will never be prepared for this...

Gol-Goroth
Very big grats, Osk. Now don't you have other things to dive right into? :)

I do, two things in fact. I'll be taking it easy for a few days before getting back to it. Let the batteries recharge and some of the wounds to heal. But I'll be moving swiftly on before too long.

Gol-Goroth

The very extensive re-working of The Legacy of Arrius Lurco is now complete. For most of the spring and all of the summer I’ve been working on this. For the last two weeks my publishers have been reviewing it. They’ve given it their stamp of approval and pointed out a handful of minor corrections that needed to be made. Tomorrow the manuscript goes back to the editor for the final round of editing.

There is still a lot of work to do. The last few maps are being made. Layout needs to be done. But lots of things are already done. Cover art is in. Cover’s been designed. Probably all of the internal art is in house.

For me, the author, my job is sort of done. Now comes the next phase of the project. This is where my partner Tom shines. He’ll work hard at coordinating the efforts of many highly talented people to turn the words I’ve written into a real book. From me emailing him the files to the book hitting game store shelves, that’s pretty much all Tom.

This will be Miskatonic River Press’s very first full-length campaign. I do mean full length; currently it’s over 90 thousand words long! This is a group effort, a team effort and I am deeply grateful for everyone’s participation.

Today is the last day of August. Autumn is right around the corner. As the nights grow longer The Legacy of Arrius Lurco will pass through many hands. With luck before Valentine’s Day it’ll be in a game shop near you.

Osk