Sign in to follow this  
neorxnawang

!@#$%^ - The Cost of International Postage

neorxnawang

I HATE sending things across the pond. Tried to Itunes it....nope, can't get there from here. Tried to eAmazon it....nope, can't get there from here. Go down to the local store and calculate the postage--total joke. Finally I got amazon.co.uk to cooperate, and then I got wind of the current dollar/pound exchange rate. GAHHHHHH!!!!!

Those of you who have been complaining about monograph postage....now I TRULY get it. :roll:

sasori

What are you trying to get sent?

neorxnawang

digital media. The cost to mail it in a reasonably safe and prompt way approached the cost of the media itself. One of the things that I thought I liked about Itunes was that if you wanted to gift a movie to someone, its click click click if they are computer literate. Nope. Itunes won't let you do it. And then I figured out why. The thing that was $15 on Itunes US was 35 GBP on Itunes UK 8O . Of course, it was $25 converted on amazon.co.uk if I sent it hard copy, which is the same as it would have been to download it....if amazon.com had let me for someone across the pond. I think it's a dark conspiracy of some sort :D

Karloff

O it is, I assure you. ;)

Is import/export duty a factor? That might be pushing the price up - tho I'd have thought that wouldn't apply to a download.

neorxnawang

I have no idea. I don't want to specify the item in question b/c of Secret Shoggoth issues. But I can tell you that it was $30-$40 US when it came out a few years ago, was a bad print then, got redone, is better now, and the price has been driven down stateside to $15-$20 depending on where you look and nonetheless Itunes wanted 35 GBP for a !@#$%$%^ download. And it locked me out of either sending from US to UK, or setting up a UK account without a physical UK address. So I couldnt GIFT it at ANY price! (I suppose I could have put myself in the middle of the Thames or something, but that wouldn't have worked when we got around to the credit card). RIDIKULUS!

Tigger_MK4

I sympathise... here in the UK we have noticed we are frquently charged "pounds instead of dollars" or even more, despite favourable exchange rates.

We use the phrase "rip-off Britain".

The only real solution seems to be sending/buying in bulk (in the US) and then senidng it en-mass to minimise postage..

GBSteve

That's weird, there are envelopes that I get from the US that are pretty cheap, you know $4-$6.

Fallorn

Last year the individual I drew for Secret Shoggoth lived in Bermuda.

I took my package down to the local US Postal Service Alternative. (I forget if it was UPS or Fedex.. I think Fedex) and they wanted $90 to ship it.

USPS was much more reasonable... it only cost $20 to ship the item. (Trick was to make sure it was listed as a book, don't know why, but books get a much better rate)

Still pricey, but a bit better.

Be Seeing You,

Fallorn

sasori

Can you buy the item, and send it thought yousendit.com or the like?

Karloff
don't know why, but books get a much better rate

Speakin' as the recipient (and thanks again, BTW ;)) I'd say that's because books are duty free. Which is why I raised the point earlier, 'cos having lived in Bermuda (where everything has to be imported) I've become very sensitive to shipping costs. Usually electronic goods are hard hit, which is why it was often more sensible to get on a plane to NYC or New Jersey if you *really* wanted that particular toy. You had the advantage of cheaper costs at the purchase point, plus (if it was small enough) the option of dodging duty.

Not, of course, that I would condone wrongdoing . . . :D

Now, I wouldn't have thought a download would get caught in the same way, but then taxes are imposed by governments, who aren't always logical but are always hungry for money. Maybe duty is a factor; who knows?

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this