Sign in to follow this  
tlynch999

Goatswood Revisited?

A New Goatswood Book from Miskatonic River Press would be:  

455 members have voted

1. 1. A New Goatswood Book from Miskatonic River Press would be:

• A Modern Lovecraft-Country-esque book.
    • A Classic Era (1920's) Lovecraft-Country-esque book.
    • Of absolutely no interest to me. I have the other book and that's enough!
    • Something Else Entirely (I'll Post My Thoughts)

jasonw1239
(...)would people be okay with a classic period book followed up with a smaller modern companion book?(...)
Definitely!!

A core book and possible add-ons seems like a fine solution!

sda
(...)would people be okay with a classic period book followed up with a smaller modern companion book?(...)
Definitely!!

A core book and possible add-ons seems like a fine solution!

Good. I think that's the direction I'm going to go.

Badger

I'm not sure if/how you'd be able to pull this off, but it would be nifty to have scenarios in both the Classic era book and the Modern era book that are interlinked somehow.

-=b

sda
I'm not sure if/how you'd be able to pull this off, but it would be nifty to have scenarios in both the Classic era book and the Modern era book that are interlinked somehow.

-=b

That sounds like a tournament thing....

sda
Perhaps Mr. Campbell has some suggestions as to how to transfer 'Campbell Country' back into the 1920s.

Definitely!!

Perhaps. I don't think he has ever thought about it.

HomoLupusDomesticus
Perhaps Mr. Campbell has some suggestions as to how to transfer 'Campbell Country' back into the 1920s.

Definitely!!

It can't hurt asking, I guess.

sda

Definitely!!

It can't hurt asking, I guess.

Yeah, I mean, he's not a gamer and I don't know as he knows or understands a whole lot about the mechanics of CoC. So I guess he'd have no reason to really think about it for the 1920's. I'll ask him and see what he thinks, though.

sda

I told Ramsey about my proposed return visit to his Severn Valley sites for CoC and he was excited about it:

Me: "The first is that I'm revisiting Goatswood and environs again for the Call of Cthulhu game. This time it is to be a sourcebook detailing characters and sites from the stories, instead of game scenarios. A lot of people have been asking for such a thing so I thought it time I delivered. The only hook is that I have to do it from the 1920's era, so I have to work backwards from your stories (and the stories of pretty much everyone else who has used your Severn Valley settings)."

Ramsey: "I look forward to it, Scott!"

So I have his official blessings (which I never doubted, but its always nice to hear). Onward and upward now....

FunGuyfromYuggoth

Yaaay!

tlynch999

Wow...that's fantastic news. Thanks for sharing, Scott. Now, if we can get him to write something for the book... 8)

Evans

Wow...that's fantastic news. Thanks for sharing, Scott. Now, if we can get him to write something for the book... 8)

Interesting you should mention that Tlynch...

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.horror.cthulhu/browse_thread/thread/a82077879dd0d7fb#

Some of Ramsey's remarks towards the end of the thread suggest this might be fortuitus timing...

sda

We probably can. I haven't asked him yet. Once the book is nearing completion I'll ask him.

ProfSpender

Getting Campbell right is a necessary first step, but what about the connections to Goatswood in other CoC scenarios? There should be mention of the Ives family (from "Fade to Gray"), of Hillary Quarrie and Wilfred Gresty (from Tatters of the King) and of Terry Bloom (from "Dark Havest"), and probably of several others I've forgotten. (Does anyone have a complete list of all Goatswood related stuff in CoC books?) It's just annoying when NPCs that are important in a scenario related to the place aren't even mentioned in the sourcebook.

sda
Getting Campbell right is a necessary first step, but what about the connections to Goatswood in other CoC scenarios? There should be mention of the Ives family (from "Fade to Gray"), of Hillary Quarrie and Wilfred Gresty (from Tatters of the King) and of Terry Bloom (from "Dark Havest"), and probably of several others I've forgotten. (Does anyone have a complete list of all Goatswood related stuff in CoC books?) It's just annoying when NPCs that are important in a scenario related to the place aren't even mentioned in the sourcebook.

That's the plan.

HomoLupusDomesticus
(...)Ramsey: "I look forward to it, Scott!"

So I have his official blessings (which I never doubted, but its always nice to hear). Onward and upward now....

It's great that you have his blessings of course, but didn't he say anything else except that he looks forward to it? Oh well, I suppose taking his Severn Valley setting back to the 1920s is not exactly something he's ever thought of.

Well, I also look forward to the final result!

sda
(...)Ramsey: "I look forward to it, Scott!"

It's great that you have his blessings of course, but didn't he say anything else except that he looks forward to it? Oh well, I suppose taking his Severn Valley setting back to the 1920s is not exactly something he's ever thought of.

Well, I also look forward to the final result!

No, again he's not a gamer and probably knows next to nothing about RPGs and CoC. I didn't expect any feedback from him as far as content goes. He wasn't personally involved in the first Goatswood book beyond the introduction he so graciously did for me.

paladin2769

I realize I am really late to this conversation, but is this project a moot topic? After years of playing CoC, I just started reading Cold Print yesterday. Personally, I would have bought a Goatswood book and I think it should have covered the modern era since that's when the stories take place. However, setting it in the classic era would not have soured me at all.

BTW, love the Malleus Monstrorum! Any news on the second volume?

Carcosa

I just picked up Goatswood. Although I was thinking of a campaign running in the gaslight and classic era, I thought this would be the perfect source material. Seeing that you are actually working on a 20's era Goatswood setting is exciting. Are you still working on this? Also own Malleus Monstrorum... one of the best CoC books out there as a sourcebook.

tlynch999
Are you still working on this?

MRP is not, but that would not stop Scott David Aniolowski (the author behind both the existing book and potential future book) from pursuing publishing it elsewhere. I don't believe he is actively doing that, though.