Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OddJack

Anyone heard about this film?

OddJack

http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=2233

The other day (i.e. here) we reported that Tobe Hooper’s next film will be a zombie opus called MORTUARY. Adam Gierasch, who scripted the film with partner Jace Anderson based on a story that they and Hooper came up with, now tells Fango that that description is a bit of a misnomer. â€ÂIt’s not not a zombie movie, but it isn’t a zombie movie in the traditional sense of the word either,†he says. “There are zombies in it, but it’s based more on the Cthulhu mythos. It’s a Lovecraftian horror tale, based on his writings but not any specific story. It’s about a family whose dad buys a cemetery/mortuary in Arkham, Massachusetts, and spooky hijinx ensue.â€Â

Thoughts?

Cthulhudude

Hmmm, only thing that comes to mind is “In the Vaultâ€Â. :? Or, it could be the “zombies†in the movie are actually ghouls. Hey, it’s Hollywood, anything can happen.

Skappy

Eh, there are so many movies that claim some tangent with H.P.L.'s work, but usually those are very general at best, pure wishful thinking at worst.

I generally get hackles down my spine when someone announces that his movie is "based on" Lovecraftianna. Those are big words people pronounce too lightly.

Then you go and see the movie and...well, the word "Sacrilege" comes to mind, but let's just politely say:... and it's a blatant misrepresentation.

Personally I have never seen a TRULY good movie based on Lovecraft's work. Perhaps his stories are too complex, too subtle, too great in scope to be digested by an average Hollywood director. Not mediocre enough to appeal to all :wink: :wink:

TheCrawlingChaos

the reason you'll probably never see a good lovecraft film is because of the amount of internal monologue required.

the books for the most part are filled with a retelling of some events, but a lot of it is to do with the character's perception of events and their resulting insanity/fear.

a film based purely on say Call of Cthulhu would last for maybe 15 minutes, with no real perception of how the characters felt.

it'll take a great script to make a good lovecraftian film that stays true to the story AND makes a good film

but yeh... thats pretty much what i think about lovecraft films.

ThothAmon

Tobe Hooper does Lovecraft? :?:

This will either be good (slim chance given Tobe Hooper's track record) or suck donkeys (high chance given Tobe Hooper's track record).

PRACE BETS NOW! :roll:

FunGuyfromYuggoth
Tobe Hooper does Lovecraft? :?:

This will either be good (slim chance given Tobe Hooper's track record) or suck donkeys (high chance given Tobe Hooper's track record).

PRACE BETS NOW! :roll:

(Donkeys nervous glancing to the right and the left.)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.