Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cthulhudude

100 scariest movie scenes of all time!

Cthulhudude

...Or not, you be the judge. :) A website called Retrocrush put this list together. Now, it's not the 100 scariest movies, it’s the scariest scenes and as such some movies are covered more than once. Some are also meant to be jokes…or at least I hope they are. But do you agree with this list or disagree? How accurate is it or how full of s***? What should they have covered and what should they have left you? Example: I for one can’t believe that in the annals of horror film the 60’th scariest scene in the history of mankind is from PEE WEE'S BIG ADVENTURE. :roll: In any event, it’s an amusing read if nothing else but still…what do you think?

But I do agree with #90 8O *shudder*

http://www.retrocrush.com/scary/index.html

hamster

Wow it's amazing that someone seems to have complied a list of most of my all time favourite films :lol:

And considering that the scariest thing I can think of is people messing with eyes, its strange that a lot of these scenes seem to revolve around them

Number 77 gets my vote as the film I'm still too chicken to watch on my own :oops:

Cthulhudude
Number 77 gets my vote as the film I'm still too chicken to watch on my own :oops:

Wow that is bad as # 77 (ha, gonna make you have to look it up to know :twisted: ) isn't all that frightening (IMHO). But hey, different strokes for different folks and all that.

I forgot to suggest in my last post; for the true “horror†(in quotes because of the nature of this list) film fan if you are going to look at the list why not try to guess the scene and movie before you click on it and see how well you do? It’s fun! 8)

Oh and BTW, It sure is odd that The Thing is on the list a number of times but In the Mouth of Madness is…well…NOT! Bwah hah hah hah hah hah! :P :wink:

Peter

The best horror movie of all time is Necronomicon. It wasn't that frightening, but it was quite entertaining

thor

Ahh, Alien, definition of hideous death- that and one from a Stephen King book (yeah, its a book, but they also made it a movie) from Alien- looking from a guys first person view, as he looks up some chains to a ceiling valed in darkness... they are moving and shaking, as if something is at the top... and from The Stand- any seen with "the man in black". speaking of whom, he seems to be a mask of Nyarlathotep if you ask me...

TheCrawlingChaos

some of those are classic moments of scariness.

only problem i find is that the compiler//audience seems to have let themselves get carried away with too many gross/classic movie scences.

we're talkin scary here for pity's sake. psycho shower scene is CLASSIC cinema, a truly iconic moment in movie history. but scary? i think not.

we're meant to be talking proper soil your pants scary here. not 'ooooh that was creepy and cool'

i guess we've all got our own opinions about these things but one that i think should definately be there is jeepers creepers 2 where the creeper is looking at the kids and click his finger at one. bad film. bad scene. but disturbing moment.

looking at those films it strikes me that most of the sariest horror moments come from really bad films (exorcist 3 and salem's lot spring to mind). maybe if we want a truly SCARY moment, we should really watch more b movies as they tend to try to make up for the lack of cash by making it memorable in other ways.

Cthulhudude
we're talkin scary here for pity's sake. psycho shower scene is CLASSIC cinema, a truly iconic moment in movie history. but scary? i think not.

I disagree 100%. I think you are looking back at it with jaded eyes 40 + years after it came out. There is a reason why the shower scene is always, and I mean ALWAYS, the #1 scariest moment on any list of the like. It blew everything that came before it out of the water and has been the high water mark of everything that has come since. I’m talking about shock, suspense and its graphic nature. No, it’s not gory but it’s brutal as all get out. What movie before that dared to kill its main star off so suddenly and violently? That scene was a total sucker punch that left the audience reeling.

BTW, the fact that you find any scene in Jeepers Creepers II more frightening than the Psycho shower scene boggles my mind to no end, but that’s the great thing about opinions; everyone’s entitled to theirs and they don’t have to make sense. :twisted: :wink:

Fallingtower

I think C-Diddy is correct about Psycho.

Janet Leigh was top billed and a star. If you were to see the movie back in 1960, you would think that the plot was going to revolve around her, the stolen money and the Psycho from the title. Killing her, like Hitchcock did, must have blown folks away.

Oh and one shan't forget that Robert Bloch penned Psycho before Hitchcock got his meathooks into it.

Also- By looking at the list, you would think Poltergeist was the scariest movie ever...huh :?:

And how come no Argento flicks? I saw some Fulci.

Hello Terror at the Opera, Inferno, Suspiria ect.

The scariest thing I saw on the site was the 'My Little Pony' Halloween costume...I had a mental image of a unkillable maniac wearing said costume and making little 'horsey' noises while he kills.

If you have seen Fulci's New York Ripper you would probably appreciate the last comment more than most folks.

NashTrickster

Talking about Psycho... Wasn't it the first time people got to enter the theater at the beginning of the film only? IIRC, before people could enter the theater anytime during the film and see it as many times as they wanted...

ThothAmon

Hmmm, some good, a lot not-so-good. Nice to see Hitch getting the #1 spot.

As for #90, the Pink Elephants from Dumbo is one of my fave animated pieces of all time. Wassa deal with putting it in a scary list? 8O

Persephone

I found that there was a lot of the same films appearing time and again on this list. I did take the advice of trying to guess the film, and did okay I believe.

Just makes me more convinced to make my husband sit down and watch "The Shining" in all its glory!

And someone mentioned the 'man in black' in "The Stand" - well, yes, I agree with you on that one.

delrio

For some reason, I find almost all werewolf movies, even really bad ones (like a number of The Howling movies), to be very frightening. And maybe it was the fact that I watched it alone in the dark on a night when I had the house all to myself, but Wolfen (at least, up until the ending, where they kinda blew it) was one of the scariest movies I ever saw. Something about the desolation of that wasted cityscape where they filmed it (where the hell was that anyway?) and the starkness of the deaths in it scared me half to death. Don't know if it would have the same effect if I were to watch it again. (On the other hand Vampire movies don't scare me at all, even really well made ones.)

Other movies that scared the living hell out of me:

The original Evil Dead, not the horror/comedy sequels. There was something about the weird juxtaposition of the horrible roaring when you're seeing the world from the monsters' point of view, suddenly cut when you skip back to the character's point of view, totally oblivious of the danger even though the monster is inches away. The sing/song taunting of the possessed people, and the way their eyes have only whites. That deformed hand groping around from under the chained trapdoor... This film was the closest I ever came in my adult life to stopping watching a movie, because I couldn't take it. Of course, the comedic sequels have taken some of the edge off the original, once you realize that some of the semi-comedic behaviors in the original were *meant* to be genuinely comedic rather than just the monsters making a horrifying mockery of the victims, which at the time of the original just added to the stomach-knotting quality of the whole affair.

The Shining, my pick for the best horror/thriller ever made (although only the 2nd most frightening, after Evil Dead).

Romero's Dawn of the Dead was extremely tense and frightening for me, because you can smell the desperation in it - civilization is falling down around their ears, and pretty much everyone who falls joins the enemy, which gives you really nowhere to run. It makes it incredibly claustrophobic and tense/scary for me. (I think that's some of the appeal of the Cthulhu Mythos for me, actually - that feeling in the literature and the game that we're all hemmed in with nowhere to run, with darkness and madness closing in on all sides.) The remake of Dawn of the Dead is even more frightening (more viscerally terrifying), but to me it didn't convey the larger sense of 'civilization having the supports kicked out from under it, leaving us all hanging' as well as the original did. The implication of it is still there, but the feeling of the new film is focused much more on the characters' immediate situation, and less on the larger issues.

Del Rio

Faceless_One

What's with the Poltergeist obsession? Those films must have appeared on the list as many times as The Shining and Jaws put together.

Haplo781

Can't believe Jurassic Park didn't make the list. I mean, the "Where's the goat" scene was a classic p***-your-pants moment, and the T. Rex crushing the car had me on the edge of my seat.

CharlesDexterWard

And how come no Argento flicks? I saw some Fulci.

Hello Terror at the Opera, Inferno, Suspiria ect.

Suspira is on there - #24 at http://www.retrocrush.com/scary/24.html

CharlesDexterWard
Wolfen

(snip)

Something about the desolation of that wasted cityscape where they filmed it (where the hell was that anyway?)

I think it's New York City, but it's been a while since I've seen it.

Edit: Yup, IMDB says it's NYC.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.