tlynch999

In Memoriam

Guest squashua
I am bitterly sad that i will not get a chance to meet him at I-Con in a few weeks, as I had hoped and planned.

Oh shits. I was potentially going to be on Long Island at that time and had thought about stopping by the con and actually wondered about dropping by and saying hi. :(

christian

Thanks Tom

I remember that episode ;-)

I have found his letters, re-read them with tears running down my face. Tears of gratitude.

I DO remember something that, considering what is happening here, resonates in me. We were in the car, it must have been something like 4:30 AM, we were driving to Roissy Airport to collect Mark Rein Hagen, and Keith told me about the memorial plaque on HPL's grave, how fans had conspired to put it there. He told me there was talk of raising money for a statue and said: "Do you imagine that HPL does not even have a statue on his grave?" Doc was idiosyncratic ( is that the right word?) Being mostly self-taught, he had very strong opinions and a hatred for political correctness that may to some have seemed rude, but here I could feel the strength of his feeling for HPL and his genuine concern for his post-mortem glory.

This will seem odd, here and now, but I feel that in the realm of rpgs ( a very very important part of my life), Keith was a giant, whose shadow will be cast forward for many many years to come. It is in this spirit that I have looked for his letters, and that I propose to scan and post them here, if Paul is OK.

I did not know HPL... but I knew Keith Herber. To every age its giants.

ThothAmon

This is awful news. I haven't the words. My thoughts are with his family.

I'll drink to his memory tonight.

TWoods

I'd also like to extend my condolences to Sharon and Erik. Keith will be missed.

I'm not much of a forum reader or poster but I decided to join Yog-Sothoth so I could make a comment or two to people who know who Keith is and why he's is worth remembering.

I have known Keith for over 20 years myself and consider him a friend. We haven't had a lot of contact over the last few years but I was always up-to-date on him via Kevin Ross. When I got Kevin's phone call on Friday, I couldn't find the words. What do you tell someone who just lost their crazy uncle? Gives you the realization that that this person, even when you hadn't spoken in a long time, must have been pretty important by the size of the empty feeling you have when they are gone.

I first met Keith at a Gen Con in the late 80's. I don't remember the exact year. He was standing in the Chaosium booth, wearing that always present beret. I had no clue who he was but we got along. Kevin told me he remembers me meeting Keith first, because Sandy Peterson had Kevin's attention. I had just become involved with CoC as a player. We made several more trips to GenCon and I was one of the Game Keepers for the first Cthulhu Masters tournament that Keith put together. Running that game was one of the best RPG experiences I had.

After I became interested in writing for the game, I shared a scenario idea with Keith and he told me he wanted it, just based on the idea. I was still unsure of myself and let time slip away on the scenario. He asked Kevin to take what I had and finish it up. That turned out to be the circus/carnival adventure Freak Show from TotMV. He also liked my next idea and published it practically verbatim in Adventures in Arkham Country. My last piece in Sacraments of Evil was done with Kevin. I still brag on these pieces of work today. I was and am still proud to have been associated with Chaosium during what I consider the best time for CoC. I wish had done more. Kevin has me involved in some new stuff so maybe I can channel some of Keith's guidance.

Sorry to go on like this. I figure I get one chance to say it right the first time.

So Kevin, Scott, Fred, Gary, J. Todd and others I'm sure I should remember, I hope we can all get together again one day and share stories of Doc.

Yours for taxi driving madmen!

Todd A. Woods

Austin, TX

DrummerDave

Well, ****, ****, and more ****. I am speechless and near tears.

I have been away from YSDC for days and this is what I find on my return. What have I been doing while I've been away? Working on addressing Keith's requests for the scenario I submitted and Keith approved for MRP's Outer Gods book.

Recently, I had been struggling with feeling grounded in my life, and needed to review the last year of my life to get perspective on what's important to me and how I live. Outside of my wife and daughter's growth and love, the single most important moment in my last year was when Keith read my COC scenario, matched it against his own expectations of what makes a good COC scenario, and said 'This is cool, this works for me. You've done well.'

When I sought validation as a writer and gamer, Keith offered a brilliant, critical light on my work, all with the clear perspective of someone who has the experience and intelligence to give the necessary direction. When my inner fanboy gets a chance to talk, his most important moment EVER is working with Keith on this scenario, clearly (from my perspective) the best thing I've written. When I talk to my wife about what is important for me to feel alive, working with Keith as an editor and mentor stands head and shoulders above every other professional and creative relationship I've ever had.

I am stunned here, like the rest of you. Stunned and sad and not sure what else to say...

YallOfCthulhu

I just found out about this today since our web filters at work have recently tagged the forums as "games" and I can no longer browse them during my lunch break and/or downtime. I've also been too busy to catch up on the weekends.

My deepest sympathies go out to Doc's family. I haven't been an adherent of CoC for too awfully long, but I am well aware of both Doc's presence and his work. Both shall be missed.

May the Lord watch over you and yours. You'll certainly have someone praying a Rosary on yours and your family's behalf tonight. :cry:

Badger

Like DrummerDave, i was away for a few days, only to come back to this terrible news.

I feel like i got punched in the side of the head. I just cannot process this.

Thank you, Keith, for all the fun and joy you helped give my life through your writings. Thank you for giving me feedback on scenario ideas i sent you. And most of all, thank you for being an example of how to live one's life to it's fullest.

I'll hoist one for you tonight, good sir.

-=Badger

tlynch999
I feel like got punched in the side of the head.

Well said.

Jaydee

This is very sad news. My condolences to all Keith's friends and family.

I never knew Mr Herber but my wife did. She worked with him a lot when she used to freelance write for Chaosium and has nothing but good things to say about him. My wife is very saddened by this news.

One thing about Mr Herber that I can see in this thread, and born out by what my wife says, is that he was very good at nurturing and encouraging new writers.

I never knew you, Keith, but I knew your works and they are mighty.

North73

Dreadful news.

The world of gaming has lost a true original, a great talent.

I only 'knew' Keith Herber through his Chaosium work and the interviews and posts here at yoggy, but I gamed the bejesus out of his superb Arkham Sourcebook, truly one of the best tomes out there for Cthulhu, or indeed any game out there. So many scares, laughs and more than a few friendships were secured over a table where I ran his stuff... For that I owe him. I'll happily pledge to the fund.

We have a superb legacy, at least.

Nightshade

I just saw this post. I wish to express my heartfelt condolences to his family.

Armitage

I stumbled upon the news online and first thought it was someone's idea of a joke. Coming to YS I discovered the sad fact that we had indeed lost another gaming icon. To his family and friends I respectfully offer up my condolences and my prayers.

Jeppe

I only just found out about this. It is terrible news and I am deeply saddened.

Call of Cthulhu, and indeed roleplaying in general, would not have been the same without the genius of Keith Herber.

My sincerest condolences to friends and family.

tlynch999
I stumbled upon the news online and first thought it was someone's idea of a joke.

Sharon and I were talking on the phone yesterday and both saying that neither of us can believe it. He and I talked almost every single day since just before the inception of MRP. There is a hole in all of our lives.

vogless

I've been gone a few days and just read about Doc.

My thoughts and prayers go to his family.

A true blow to our little community.

His works have brought me great joy and he will be missed.....

ElijahWhateley

I get busy for a few days and this happens? Bummer. I only knew him from the forums, but I always looked forward to his posts.

The old doctor will live on in his works, his forum posts (linked to across YSDC), and, of course, with strange aeons...

Badger
I stumbled upon the news online and first thought it was someone's idea of a joke.

Sharon and I were talking on the phone yesterday and both saying that neither of us can believe it. He and I talked almost every single day since just before the inception of MRP. There is a hole in all of our lives.

If you look on the main MRP forums here, you can still see Doc's name listed in recent replies he made to sub-forums. It's...i don't know how to put it. He was just here last week.

Dammit.

-=b

malcojones

If you look on the main MRP forums here, you can still see Doc's name listed in recent replies he made to sub-forums. It's...i don't know how to put it. He was just here last week.

Dammit.

-=b

I glanced at a few of the recent (700+) emails he posted to this site (and in particular this forum). They're typically helpful and humourous and very hard to follow, especially now.

Doc will certainly be missed around here for many reasons.

Best, malcojones

Tigger_MK4
. It's...i don't know how to put it. He was just here last week.

-=b

To quote the old song:

"I just turned around...and he was gone."

Blackmyron

I didn't find out until now after a bout of insomnia left me clicking around online, and I saw this on the Chaosium site. I was completely and utterly stunned by the news.

Dungeons and Dragons was the first RPG I was into, near the beginning of the hobby. Call of Cthulhu was the second, largely due to the writings of Keith Herber. Whereas some post-HPL authors focused more on the trappings, his approach seemed to entail putting the Mythos firmly within the real world - his Arkham as a living, breathing city that did not have a Mythos creature in every other home captured, for me, the spirit of Lovecraft than many other works.

Keith Herber left a legacy of some of the most brilliant pieces of writings that have inspired so many others, and I thank him for everything he gave us, and I grieve at his passing. He will be missed sorely.

PoC

I've cut some of the most recent posts which were getting a little heated. Please keep this thread for messages of condolence and memories of Keith. If you wish to discuss particular aspects and views on Keith's work, there's plenty of space elsewhere on the forums. Thank you. - PoC

supernaturalist

Been away from the site for a week or so. Have fond memories of playing through Fungi From Yuggoth and Spawn of Azathoth, and recently read through Spawn just for the pleasure of it.

Michael

Chimisit

I've just read the news.

Like many here, I never met Doc face-to-face. I did, several months ago, have the pleasure of making his acquaintance via email, when I made a proposal for a scenario for the Outer Gods book. I cannot begin to tell you how much of a blast it was bouncing ideas off of one another or how exciting every "what if" was.