PoC

Dear Yoggie... Postcards Posted

PoC

Postcard 161 Front

Postcard 161 Reverse

The biggest hedge in the world! Planted in 1745.

Postcard 168

Postcard 168 Reverse

The classic, the original, "sponge on a stick". A postcard beloved by children of all ages. Thank you, Buchhalter. :-)

Postcard 167

Postcard 167 Reverse

Finally for this delivery, another postcard from yockenthwaite via Inverness, featuring Nessie!

- and Cannich cannot be far...

yockenthwaite
Finally for this delivery, another postcard from yockenthwaite via Inverness, featuring Nessie!

- and Cannich cannot be far...

It's very nearby, and on our way round Loch Ness, approaching Urquhart Castle, we saw a sign for a road going off to Cannich. At which point I got quite excited, and had to resist the temptation to drive off in that direction :-P

cjearkham

In the UK it's groynes, but in the US it is "groins"!

Now mysteriously this is labelled as a sequence of four cards, but so far only three have appeared...

Oops.  In consulting my M. R. James, which is the only book I have where this term is used, I see it is "groynes". In my part of the US, we call them "jettys".

The fourth card was the most interesting one for COC players, I think, as it showed a concrete ship, a WWI experimental vessel which in the 1920s was being towed, as scrap, to a nearby port, when it ran aground in a storm. In the years since, it's been slowly decaying.  See http://www.concreteships.org/ships/ww1/atlantus/ (the "Then" picture) for what was on the postcard. Perhaps some US or UK postal worker/military history buff abstracted the image...

PoC

Well, you never know, sometimes the postcards can take an unusually long time! I will keep an eye out for a concrete ship approaching Innsmouth House. ;-)

Meanwhile, it must be near the witching season as we've received our first Halloween postcard. Karl Eckler seeks help to identify the horrifying source of some strange pumpkin-headed creatures...

Postcard 169

Postcard 169 Reverse

PoC

So... I recently received our Royal Mail renewal notice for our Post Box and in the past four years it's skyrocketed up from £60/year to over £300 ($500)/year.

Unfortunately this is rather more than we can bear so I've been seeking alternatives and from the 1st December 2013 Yoggie's new contact postal address will be:

[Finally retired, July 2018]

If you've already got something in the post to us via the old address we'll still receive it before it's deactivated, but do feel free to start using the new one from the end of the month!

HomoLupusDomesticus

I recently sent two cards from the other side of the Atlantic to the old PO Box address so they may take another three or four weeks to reach you. Hopefully they'll be properly delivered inspite of the upcoming address change.

PoC

The new postal address is working (as evidenced by my test card, below).

The addresses will run in tandem until mid-December, after which the Leeds address will remain the active one.

Postcard 170 Front

Postcard 170 Reverse

BeachRubble

Hmm, it appears that "The Silver Fox" is branching out from archaeology and antiquities. Do give my complements to Mrs. Sunderland. 

I've sent my own test card, so we should soon be able to tell if international mail is working properly. :-)  

PoC

Just in the nick of time (and what I suspect will be one of the last cards to the old postal address).

A postcard from "Lobo Domesticado" (see post #131, above) in Mexico City and the Zapotec ruins of Monte Albán near Oaxaca. It's somewhere we'd also like to visit one day.

Postcard 171 - Front

Postcard 171 - Reverse

Thank you.

We love receiving and sharing cards from fellow Lovecraftians around the world.

HomoLupusDomesticus

There *should* be another one on its way that I wrote 3 days later but was sent on the same date as this one... *crosses fingers*

P.S. Also, people who'd like recommendations/advice when visiting Oaxaca or Mexico in general, feel free to PM me.

PoC

- and so it arrives! The last postcard to the old address courtesy of HLD.

Postcard 172 - Front

Postcard 172 - Reverse

The new address now takes over as the old one is retired and we receive our first official card at the new location from Beachrubble.

Statues or no?...

Postcard 173 - Front

Postcard 173 - Reverse

PoC

Our first postcard for 2014!

Viv writes from Fife. Noodles and afternoon teas are in order.

The front of the card shows the colourful variety of mythos creatures you might encounter in shadowy Scotland...

Postcard 174 - Front

Postcard 174 - Reverse

PoC

More messages arrive, the first from Buchhalter and the wreck of the Helvetia, with shades of Cthulhu Cymraeg...

Postcard 175 - Front

Postcard 175 - Reverse

Next, surely rum goings-on in Antarctica (isn't there always?) as subkafka professes an obstetrical world first (congratulations!) *and* provides a set of fantastic sew-on patches...

Postcard 176 - Front

Postcard 176 - Reverse

Flying Fungi from Yuggoth!

Postcard 176 - Badges

We love receiving cards and various missives and sharing them, please do send them along. Ye yoggie counter shows we're approaching 200 so far.

PoC

Beachrubble suspects there's sinister goings-on in the magazine racks and coffee shops of Seattle...

Postcard 177 - Front

Postcard 177 - Reverse

PoC

Not a postcard received but something I found while sourcing an old guidebook as a gift for my uncle.

On the back of a Ward, Lock & Co "Red Guide" for Llandudno (1930) was an intriguing advert for "Tuck's Gramophone Record Postcards".

tucks-gramophone-postcard-advert.jpg

This was the first I heard of such a thing, but lo and behold they exist!

tucks-gramophone-record-postcards.jpg tucks-gramophone-record-postcard.jpg

In fact, here's one from 1929 being played:

Certainly possibilities for something like this turning up in your game when the recording on the postcard might be some...thing... the Investigators don't really want to hear. :-D

"Dear Wilmarth..."

PoC

A report from our correspondent, cjearkham.

Strange tales from down Mexico way, north of Puerto Vallarta...

Postcard 178 - Front

Postcard 178 - Reverse

PoC

Our latest card, in which Yockenthwaite reports from the historic town of Cupar (Fife) and then goes to gaol...

Postcard 179 - Front

Postcard 179 - Reverse

Do feel free to send "Olde Yoggie" a card (especially if you're on your holidays this summer)! We love reading and sharing them.

PoC

At Loncon, Helen & I had a chance to meet up with some fellow Yoggies, one of whom was yockenthwaite, who subsequently sent the following postcard...

Postcard 180 - Front

Postcard 180 - Reverse

If you're wondering what a "Beeblebear" is, prepare yourself!

PoC

More postcards, posted. We range the world!

William-Tobey feels he's up to the gruelling task of tracking down Great Cthulhu in the Pacific, with a stop-off at the Cook Islands.

Postcard 181 - Front

Postcard 181 - Reverse

Meanwhile yockenthwaite reports on the world's oldest printing press in Antwerp (one for keen bookhounds)!

Postcard 182 - Front

Postcard 182 - Reverse

We do love receiving your postcards (especially in these days of increasingly digital communication).

Why not send us a card and say "Hello"?

PoC

Buchhalter reports from the 'folks (Norfolk & Suffolk) - including a sojourn to the original Dunwich - apparently the seafood is very good... :-)

Postcard 183 - Front

Postcard 183a - Reverse

Buchhalter (Chris) also very kindly helped me set up for the recording of Ramsey Campbell at Liverpool One we did the other year (when Ramsey was launching The Last Revelation of Gla'aki).

PoC

It's about time I sent a postcard to the old Yoggie post box, so here's one from The British Museum. I thought it would be interesting to send a lenticular card, to see how it would scan. We'll here's the results...

The two white lines on the front of the card are an artefact of the scanning process. You can see where the image changes over around the knee level.

Postcard 184 - Front

Postcard 184 - Reverse

- and do see the Ancient Lives exhibition if you can. It's just been extended for a few more months (April 2015).

HomoLupusDomesticus

Hm, I sent you guys another card from Mexico half November last year. Not certain if it is going to arrive at all by now. People in Belgium received my postcard just before christmas, in the Netherlands 1-2 weeks before that.

PoC

Nothing yet. Will certainly post it here when we receive it!

Rayven

Postcards?....This looks interesting!

PoC

Not certain if it is going to arrive at all by now.

A little faith. ;-) Slowly but surely it seems...

Helen is also a big fan of Mexican food!

Postcard 185 - Front

Postcard 185 - Reverse

The winter gods seem to have delayed a few festive greetings - but since as I type it's been snowing outside for the past day, it still seems seasonal enough...

Slartibartfast enjoyed being part of Secret Shoggoth IX last year (and 2015 should see SS X)!

Postcard 186 - Front

Postcard 186 - Reverse

- and a card from Thom_Serveaux with some very kind words about Olde Yoggie...

Postcard 187 - Front

Postcard 187 - Reverse

Thank you everyone who sends a card. It appears some can take a while to arrive but we've received them from pole to pole (literally) and they usually get here in the end.

In this increasingly digital age it's always a welcome sight to receive a good old fashioned card. Even though we then end up sharing them digitally (the irony is not lost on us). ;-)

We look forward to the next!

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now