Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Willowhugger

Whose excited about Cthulhutech?!

MikeV

*wipes sweat from brow* you had me scared for a minute there Sylv;) Thanks for the compliment on the designs. My finished work is allot more detailed and even tighter than the work you're seeing now. As a matter of fact, I'm going to post up the original design for the Phantom so you can see what my black and white work looks like so go check out my temp site again. I started working some more on the Doahanoids last night nailing down the final designs for them, it's nice to have some more established visuals for the Ta'gers nemesi (pl?). I wish I could post them but I'm going to just wait until the book comes out before I start giving the whole thing away;)

On the space battle end, I'm not sure about that one. I have the ghetto copy of the book and a bunch of pdf chapters but I haven't seen anything by way of space battles. A vast majority of the fighting is planet side, that's another question to ask Matthew though. If it's not in this book it may be in the expansion. I'm going to warrant a guess that there wont be any space combat for mecha. They are capable of surviving in a vacuum, as are all sealed units where the pilots have full environmental control systems capable of surviving in a variety of environments. With the pilots exposed to the elements in their combat gear they are capable of withstanding any MOPP level threat while fleeing in terror from their wreched mecha in the heat of battle. As an FYI for those that aren't active or former military, MOPP stands for Mission-Oriented Protective Postures. The terminology is used in conjunction with chemical attacks and there are 4 levels of protective posturing ranging from 0 being regular ol' gear to 4 where you're wearing gas mask, chemical suit, etc. Mech pilots are always at level 4 while piloting their mecha as to prevent from any chemical agents from affecting the pilot in case of a compartment integrity failure. I designed the suits so they're not in jeapordy of a comparment fracture and a little cs gas leaking inside, or even worse, a horrible unkown chemical agent. Hope that helps:)

Mike Vaillancourt

Director of Visual Concepts

WildFire

MikeV

site update.. these pieces will be coming down Thursday evening as an FYI. There's a little teaser for my end of a collaborative piece between Sam Araya and myself on there as well.http://mysite.verizon.net/res8aabz/

-Mike

sikozu

Why do Amazon.com and Amazon.co.jp show CthulhuTech was published in January 2004 and is available?

I'm missing something eh.

Sylv
Why do Amazon.com and Amazon.co.jp show CthulhuTech was published in January 2004 and is available?

I'm missing something eh.

No, you're not missing anything. Amazon is just hideously innacurate when it comes to release dates sometimes, is all.

MikeV

I wish the damn thing was done and released in January.. I'd be more at ease knowing that my work was done;) We're still working hard at getting the book finished. Checks are going to be cut for the remainder of the concept art this week, we should see the concept art finished by end of Sept. 1st half of Oct. Then the book will be going into thumbnails for art spec purposes, artists will be contacted and writers will be contacted to do the final revisions and get the book done. We're playing it safe and taking our sweet time to get it done right. Right now we've got a graphic designer that's seriously interrested in working with us that was responsible for the lions share of graphic design at WotC so we'll see where that goes. I've had a copy of the unedited book for a while, and man, if our art matches the text it's going to be one killer setting.

-Mike

sikozu

What in the name of all that is unholy happened to the "Temp Site"?

Sylv
What in the name of all that is unholy happened to the "Temp Site"?

I think this happened.

site update.. these pieces will be coming down Thursday evening as an FYI.

Also, we get a picture of a camel with an afro, which is awesome.

MikeV

yup, got taken down.. the camel was a quick sketch I did in my sketch book last week for lack of anything better to draw I just doodled the camel off my pack of smokes. I'll post some more stuff up soon, promise;)

-Mike

sikozu

I am intrigued by the Man in Black's website, http://home.hawaii.rr.com/maninblack/hypnos/hypnos.html - his story inspires another potential use for the Cthulhutech setting, namely the war against the forces of the Nameless (KIY, right?).

Clearly the human beings are wildly outclassed by creatures who resemble demons made of or enhanced by metal as well as terrible machinery...

Should we talk about potential Dreamlands Wars?

MikeV

for those that are interrested, I'm a part of the local Seattle chapter for conceptart.org There were open call challenges between members of the Seattle group and the UK concept art group. I ended up having the entry due to someone challenging me very late in the game so I only had a few hours to do a piece for this competition. Anyhow, you can check out the piece that I did for the competition on my temp site. I'm going to be working on painting it this week being that all I had time for was the black and white line art. If you want to check it out go to http://mysite.verizon.net/res8aabz/

-Mike

p.s. release date is set for May 05 for CTech.

Mithras
I am intrigued by the Man in Black's website...

Should we talk about potential Dreamlands Wars?

Indeed, this is intriguing...

"They tell us of rust colored oily demons with tendrils for arms who drink the blood of their four armed goblin slaves and captured prisoners alike, piercing their victims with great hollow needles. These monstrous lords are directing their armored wraiths in the construction of vast three legged engines of destruction. I fear we will come to know these enchanted machines of war all too well in the days to come."

How would the effects of the Cthulhutech universe impact on the Dreamlands?

Dreamland interpretations of Science Fiction... These descriptions remind me of H.G.Wells, and could occupy a conceptual zone like Marcus Rowland's "Forgotten Futures" RPG http://www.forgottenfutures.com/ . I'm thinking Dali or Ernst-like surrealism of the Alien Machine... Maybe the old Dunsanian Dreamlands start becoming like the shamanic artwork of Joseph Beuys as the War goes on. The Red and Iron Army the metaphorical equivalent of Chinese tanks rolling up the mountain passes towards the ancient kingdom of Tibet in '50. http://www.tibetrpg.com/!Tibet/index.htm

:idea: A more radical approach could be used: Cthulhutech's Manga Mecha aesthetics acting on the Dreamlands indirectly instead, like the 19th C. Impressionists & Van Gogh being inspired by old mass-produced Ukiyo-e "pictures of the floating world" Nipponese prints (like Hiroshige and Hokusai), used as cheap packing material for Eastern imports from the docks. Subtle, but introduces change.

FunGuyfromYuggoth

:idea: For the Hell of It, in a CthulhuTech Timeline, I'd update the Dreamlands to include 1920s technology. The Roaring Dreamlands. Pulp Dreamlands. Gangsters and Ghasts!

sikozu
"They tell us of rust colored oily demons with tendrils for arms who drink the blood of their four armed goblin slaves and captured prisoners alike, piercing their victims with great hollow needles. These monstrous lords are directing their armored wraiths in the construction of vast three legged engines of destruction. I fear we will come to know these enchanted machines of war all too well in the days to come."

I'm really annoyed that my earlier post disappeared... I had such a nice response and it appears to have disappeared into the void.

What I said was, in short, that the Dreamlands of the Cthulhutech era should have bad-guy machines scary enough to cause SAN-shock. The foot-soldiers mentioned on the website from which the above quote was taken - empty suits of armour à la Legend of Zelda - and the tripods - reminiscent of The War of the Worlds (book) - seem waaaaay too hokey.

In aforementioned post (*sigh*), I recommended that the Wraith-soldiers might better be carved or riveted metal masks with sacks covering the body. Ideally the actual shape of the Wraith inside would be disturbing, at least as it appeared in the drapery, and (in another thought) the hobnailed boots might be matched not with gloved hands but with cloth wrapped in stripes around what presumably are the ends of tentacles. Nota bene: Masks, when worn, are scary as %$#@#. There's a reason our ancestors painted their faces for combat.

I can't quite figure out about the rare, larger steam-style mecha, though. What would be suitably horrific? Maybe we should dig into entomology texts for inspiration. Dust mites are nasty.

Okay, maybe three legs aren't out, just the old tripod form doesn't creep me out. The bit about hollow-tipped tentacles sucking out the victim's insides was sweet; multiple rending mouths as with crustaceans like crabs or scorpions might be nice, especially if located low on the machine's body. Multiple arms are a must: endlessly feeding the mouths.

What do we think about weaponry? I would imagine Revolutionary-style musketry is the limits of technology for human-kin; what about the Dream-Horrors? Would they be harvester-style beasties or might they be armed with something awful: throwers of Greek Fire? The ability to spew mustard and chlorine gases strong enough to flense the skin of the affected from their bones and leave a direly poisoned earth behind?

More importantly, are they 'living machines' (as I imagine) or do they operate as mecha with operators (slippery Moon People?)? I kinda lean to the first because then they could be discovered 'reproducing': one or more taking apart the stinking ruins of a village and using its parts to build a new beast. Talk about absorbing your enemy's territory...

This could easily be a sweet 'wartime' campaign. Blight upon the Dreamlands...

Thorulfr

This could easily be a sweet 'wartime' campaign. Blight upon the Dreamlands...

Damn that sounds like twisted fun! When are you running it? Are you in San Diego (as some of your posts have implied), or Mass?

sikozu

Once I were in San Diego, but then I destupified and moved back to Massachusetts.

Running it? Eep. I am wildly inexperienced in the art. I conceptualise well but DM? Oh, the horror.

Mithras
Running it? Eep. I am wildly inexperienced in the art. I conceptualise well but DM? Oh, the horror.

What better way to train up than running this very sweet campaign, Sikozu-san?

In the style of Mei ling (designer of the Codec and Radar system), Tacitus once wrote "Roman's war-exercises are battles without blood, whilst their battles are war-exercises with blood".

And so, Conceptualisation and GMing are the same. Just add players.

Work out the Outline/Plot tree + Maps + NPC stats + illustrations = Game.

Get out the Keeper's Screen and dice, phone available players and arrange a time. :wink: It's not like programming a MMORPG!

*hell, you'd only have to work out a couple of the scenarios, and wing the rest based on the player's actions...*

Thorulfr
Once I were in San Diego, but then I destupified and moved back to Massachusetts.

Don't blame you - lived there for a while, myself. Harvard Square is one of my favorite places - all those bookstores within WALKING distance! Is MacIntyre&Moore still there? That place was absolutely dangerous. :)

Of course, when the MegaTidal wave comes crashing in, don't come crying to us. :wink:

Awwwww.... :( Don't worry, we will draw you over to the dark side eventually....we are patient; we can wait. :twisted:

sikozu
What better way to train up than running this very sweet campaign, Sikozu-san?

It's Kalish, not Nihongo.

But I'll consider it. I'm doing some research on this. It's what I do anyway so might as well find a use for it.

Still, I'm not so good with the plots; I'm essentially a scene-dresser. Gotta find some stories afore I can run a campaign.

MikeV

just in case anyone was curious, the project is well along now. Thought I'd post the scrapped pencil art that we were going to use for the cover.. I decided that it wasn't good enough and started from scratch. Either way, for those that may be curious, here's something to look at while you wait.

-Mike

cover.jpg.w560h703.jpg

Sylv
just in case anyone was curious, the project is well along now. Thought I'd post the scrapped pencil art that we were going to use for the cover.. I decided that it wasn't good enough and started from scratch. Either way, for those that may be curious, here's something to look at while you wait.

-Mike

cover.jpg.w560h703.jpg

Neat.

For some reason, the shading on the pencil and the extra outline on the woman in the center of the pic remind me strongly of 80s sci-fi art. (Not in a bad way or anything, but I see this and immediately think of Roger Zelazny. Is that just me?)

MikeV

the outline is actually to help seperate her figure from the rest of the figures. It's a short hand so that when it gets colored we know to leave space around her for lighting effects. Now that I know that the general consensus is the original cover idea sucked, I'm glad I decided to scrap it. In my defense though, being that the image is 1/3 the way done it still schools almost 90% of the other small press company covers.. need I even bother mention half the crap Chaosium has put out.. the original Japan cover being my first shining example of this. The second one is not boring, but it does not convey anything about the book at all.

-Mike

Guest hummel

Well, CthulhuTech solved that in its supplemental rule book, VADE MECUM. The Dreamlands (the creators don't seem to understand there is a Dreamlands Universe, by the way) have been *eaten* by a never-before-heard-of GOO and are no more.

Some people here in the past thought I have been overly criticial of the lack of understanding of Lovecraft concepts and themes by CthulhuTech;s creators?

Ha ha!

PoC

You've had your warnings. It's obvious you've nothing constructive to offer. You only come here to pour scorn & derision. Well, no more.

Goodbye.

Paul

Newbunkle

I am so impressed with Cthulhutech that I don't know where to begin. I'd heard mixed opinions about it before I bought it, but I don't regret my purchase for a second. Actually, I'm still 2/3rds of the way through the book, but I couldn't wait to post my feedback.

I love the way the setting has just enough flavour to inspire you, without being too rigid - which is one of the few things I hated about the original World of Darkness games. I also love the way its like several games in one and has several scales. You can play the big war game, or set the game in an arcology and have an ordinary team of investigators dealing with strange goings on.

While reading through the book my imagination was firing on all cylinders. Everything was inspiring me as I looked for ways to make it horrific. Even the section on nanotechnology gave me a few ideas. I instantly imagined cultists using illegal nanites to punish people who cross them. For example, they could slip a pill into someone's drink which contains nanites. When they detect that the person is alone they activate and begin to modify his body. The painful process ends up turning a person into a sluglike sack of flesh, still concious but unable to do more than wriggle around, feed, and stare helplessly at those around it.

The fiction between some of the chapters really helps. The artwork is amazing too. I especially like it in the sections on mechs and some of the mythos creatures. I know I'll probably have more to say once I've finished the whole thing, so I'll have to come back and fill in the rest later.

GRIPES

Ok, there had to be some. Many of these are very minor gripes indeed and the good far outshines the bad.

- There are quite a few missing words and spelling errors. I'm sure that'll be fixed in the inevitable second edition though.

- This might just be me, but I'm not keen on the skill ratings being names rather than numbers. I can ignore that, but it made some of the earlier examples hard to understand before I got used to it.

HOPES

I'm so blown away by the flavour and possibilities that the game offers, that I have very little in the way of a wish list. I suppose the two biggest would be as follows:

- Arcology books. It would be great to have some cities detailed. My vote would go for Hong Kong. People in Hong Kong are used to living on top of each other, and I would imagine the interior to be something like the old Kowloon Walled City - very tight and cramped, a maze of winding streets and passages.

- I'd also like to see more mythos creatures. Since I haven't finished the book yet I don't know for sure which ones are missing. I've heard that there are no shoggoths in it. If they're not included already, the ones I would love to see are Elder Things, Yithians, Flying Polyps, and Shoggoths. That's it really.

FEARS

I suppose the only thing that worries me is that the metaplot will become too big and suffocating like in the old World of Darkness line.

:idea: For the Hell of It, in a CthulhuTech Timeline, I'd update the Dreamlands to include 1920s technology. The Roaring Dreamlands. Pulp Dreamlands. Gangsters and Ghasts!

That would be quite cool. I think I'd also enjoy it if the Dreamlands were in the steampunk style (or just age of steam in general). I know MikeV mentioned that he loves that stuff. It could be a good place to include it, without making certain skills (i.e. pilot) useless. Steampunk mechs could be the dreamland trying to play catch-up with the real world.

Dr_Locrian
I am so impressed with Cthulhutech that I don't know where to begin. I'd heard mixed opinions about it before I bought it, but I don't regret my purchase for a second. Actually, I'm still 2/3rds of the way through the book, but I couldn't wait to post my feedback.

I really enjoyed reading the book as well. Unfortunately, I just couldn't find any players interested in playing it, so it looks like it's going to be one of those books that gather dust on my overcrowded game shelf. :cry:

What I got from trying to recruit players last year is that many were intrigued by the setting, but didn't seem to want to go through the trouble of learning a whole new game setting, and would rather play in a more established background like Warhammer or World of Darkness, or in the default "real world plus monsters" of Call of Cthulhu. I'd still love to try the game someday, though.