Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Willowhugger

Whose excited about Cthulhutech?!

sikozu

So who's gonna start the conversion from CthulhuTech to CthulhuSteamtech? I wonder how long it actually will take for someone to hack it... I know CoC gamers I know have a penchant for CoC/Space:1889 crossovers and the like...

I am so frelling evil.

cjbowser
So who's gonna start the conversion from CthulhuTech to CthulhuSteamtech? I wonder how long it actually will take for someone to hack it... I know CoC gamers I know have a penchant for CoC/Space:1889 crossovers and the like...

I am so frelling evil.

I've been thinking about CthulhuSteamtech for a couple days. I was thinking about Deep ones with clockwork limbs.

Sylv

Mike: Nice to hear about pitching CTech to CN. Best of luck there. As for stuff on the website I'd love to see some sample fiction and some engel designs.

I am so frelling evil.

I've been thinking about CthulhuSteamtech for a couple days. I was thinking about Deep ones with clockwork limbs.

Cthulhusteam tech? What's this now? Does it actually exist in concrete form or is it just a vivid dream dancing tantalizingly in front of our eyes?

wendigogo

Cthulhusteam tech? What's this now? Does it actually exist in concrete form or is it just a vivid dream dancing tantalizingly in front of our eyes?

It may be a dream or just somebody mixed GURPS: CTHULHUPUNK with GURPS: STEAMPUNK :lol:

resistance is futile... your favorite system will be assimilated into a GURPS supplement

cjbowser

It's something I've been playing around with ever since by Gaslight game was somehow mixed up with Castle Falkenstein. Nothing too concrete. Some ideas, some scenarios, some stats, that sorta thing.

MikeV

you know I've always wanted to do a steampunk book.. I love drawing steam punk stuff. Stylistically I've always been a cross between Minority Report and The Rocketeer. I just love the 40's and 50's.. their style was amazing. Then again, that's probably why I can't wait for Sky Captain to come out;)

-Mike

GregSamsa

I actually liked the Wildfire 'mech. Granted it doesn't look particularly alien or avant-garde, but since its designed by humans that only seems appropriate.

So is Hastur the big bad guy for Cthulhutech? I'm kind of curious how that would work out. From what I know it seems like Hastur is one of the most poorly defined Mythos deities; he could be a big squid on Aldebaran, the King in Yellow, both or something else altogether (I like the KiY interpretation myself, but thats just me).

MikeV

Greg,

The mech that I originally posted is called the Rapier. It's a reconnaisance mech for the NEG (New Earth Government). I've done the revised art for it, I just haven't taken the time to get it set up for posting. I'll drop an alien mech in here sometime soon as well. Any votes for Mi'go, Nazzadi or Deep Ones? I've been insanely busy and haven't had time to keep up on all the forums, sorry about the tardiness of the reply and promised posts. Regarding Hastur.. the answer is, The King in Yellow. We like that version best as well;)

Mike Vaillancourt

Director of Visual Concepts

Wildfire

sikozu
I'll drop an alien mech in here sometime soon as well. Any votes for Mi'go, Nazzadi or Deep Ones?

Zen-, I mean, Nazzadi. :D

MikeV

temp site

One of the Nazzadi mechs is in the lower right hand corner.

Sylv
temp site

One of the Nazzadi mechs is in the lower right hand corner.

I like the way it's recognizably a a mech but unmistakably alien. That's pretty sweet.

....Can we have a deep one mech too? Please? Please please please?

MikeV

I'd be happy to drop one of the Deep Ones up once Sam Araya and I have worked out what they look like. Out of the 20 mech designs I've done so far, the Deep Ones were the last on the list. Will Mi'Go suffice in the mean time?;) BTW, there will be a demo available for download after our site goes live.

Mike Vaillancourt

WildFire

MikeV

I really need to give a better introduction for Rob Hunter after posting the Nazzadi sketch. He's worked for SCEA (Sony Computer Entertainment America) and was being courted by Blizzard North for a while until he decided that he had no interrest in 3D work. I can't really give his work enough praise, quite simply he does phenominal work. If it wasn't for Rob I wouldn't be drawing today! If you'd like to check out some more of his art go to his old web address Rob's website

The final design of the Storm is a culmination of both of our efforts where he sketched a loose upper torso and I filled in details for the rest of the figure. The final illustration is Rob's cleaned up version of the sketch we both did. The creature designs are being done as a collaborative effort with Sam Araya providing finishes based on my sketches and art direction. I'm currently shopping around for a concept artist to do environments and some more of the monotonous gear designs so if anyone knows a talented artist who wants to get in on the ground floor of an up and coming IP Development company, we'll be accepting submissions and setting up a contest in a few months to win a contract working on CthulhuTech. More details to follow.

Mike Vaillancourt

WildFire

Sylv
I'd be happy to drop one of the Deep Ones up once Sam Araya and I have worked out what they look like. Out of the 20 mech designs I've done so far, the Deep Ones were the last on the list. Will Mi'Go suffice in the mean time?;)

Yes. Yes, it most certainly would.

BTW, there will be a demo available for download after our site goes live.

Can we get a rought ETA on the site?

MikeV

If memory serves me correctly I should be seeing the mock ups for the site within the next couple of weeks. I've already passed off the graphics the web design team requested and the site content should almost be finished. The projected go-live date right now is in Sept. if I remember correctly. I'll double check later today and post any updates I might have. I'll post up one of the Mi'go mechs later today as well.

-Mike Vaillancourt

WildFire

MikeV

The site should be up in September according to the build schedule from the web design team. Regarding the Mi'go mech, it's up on my dumping ground. I really can't wait to be done with all of these things so I can start doing prettier work. Anyone interrested in a sneak peak at the pencils for the book cover?

Mike V.

WildFire

sikozu

Mi'Go crazy for new mechs!

Seriously, though - muchos dänker.

Sylv
Mi'Go crazy for new mechs!

(Rimshot)

Thanks for the pic, Mike.

Man, the idea of a bunch of Migo running around in that thing is giggle inducing.

This is going to be such an awesome game.

MikeV

Hopefully you mean *evil laughter* inducing and not a *giggle* in a "that's so lame" sense;) If that's the case, please say so, it's never to late for a redesign=) So, the survey is, thumbs up or down on the the overall appearance of the mecha? As a disclaimer, all of the base tech was invented by the humans and adopted to each race. The mechas main power supplies are the D-Engines (D=Dimensional) which were created by humans and stolen by the Mi'go.

-Mike

Deadly_Stardust

The Mi'go Mech certainly makes the list of thing's I'd rather not have coming after me. 8O

Only more so if it constantly buzzed. :D

Aescarion

The mecha all look pretty cool. My only concern would be that they're still broadly humanoid - if it's adapted human tech I suppose that makes sense but I'd still like to see a completely alien war machine or two. But the illustrations are looking very sharp, which I think is important for a game which will have such a strong visual slant.

Will the game include guidelines for mech design, so GMs could make up their own squamous abominations?

I like the idea of Deep One mechs. Battling the darkness beneath the oceans sounds muchos scary.

How about... a ghoul 'mech', powered by the will of Mordiggian and made out of decaying body parts? Bleeergh. maybe not.

MikeV

I'll work on making the Mi'go mecha more alienish.. the Nazzadi are about where we'd like them to be. The Deep Ones are being designed by Sam Araya with my direction, and I assure you they will not look very human;) Regarding mecha creation, there are no plans that I'm aware of that will aid in mecha creation, I will bring that up to Mr. Grau and ask why. Thank you for the compliments guys, its comforting to hear that I'm doing an good job thus far:) I really can't wait for you to see EVERYTHING we've done. I only have the Seraph finished so far out of the Engels. The rest of them are going to be allot of fun to work on and I can't wait to get started on them.

-Mike

sikozu

MikeV wrote:

So, the survey is, thumbs up or down on the the overall appearance of the mecha? As a disclaimer, all of the base tech was invented by the humans and adopted to each race. The mechas main power supplies are the D-Engines (D=Dimensional) which were created by humans and stolen by the Mi'go.

"The Fungi Formerly From Yuggoth." Ha!

Hm. It occurs to me that this significantly changes humanity's role into the cosmos - we are players if our technology is adopted by aliens (I'm talking Mi'Go, not humanoid relatives/interbreeds/descendants like Deep Ones, Ghouls & Tcho-tchos).

I mean, Deep Ones always were a kind of parasitism or cuckoo's egg on H. sapiens (and perhaps its antecedents?) and lived imitateo hominem (is that supposed to be hominis?), but when creepy buzzing salt-lick monsters start borrowing tech the game's balance is shifted.

I mean no opposition; I think it's fine. I just wanted to observe that this was a shift. Rather than being hairless & occasionally dangerous monkeys to be ignored, squished or harvested, we suddenly have a hand in the game.

Perhaps this could be allayed by the Mi'Go etc. as supplementing native tech - which was previously not needed when dealing with the blue planet since previously the environment was best dealt with elsewise or with less expense.

Actually, this power shift is rather inevitable, if you think about it. I mean, if we start colonising the system, we've demonstrated a greater level of threat. We remain nothing to the gods and to the pseudogods are peons, but to other sentients we have gained a foothold that makes our relationship closer to one of equals.

I'm still sooooo ready to play BESM/Tri-Stat CoCthulhuTech, tho. Ha!

MikeV

I mean, Deep Ones always were a kind of parasitism or cuckoo's egg on H. sapiens (and perhaps its antecedents?) and lived imitateo hominem (is that supposed to be hominis?), but when creepy buzzing salt-lick monsters start borrowing tech the game's balance is shifted.

Actually, this power shift is rather inevitable, if you think about it. I mean, if we start colonising the system, we've demonstrated a greater level of threat. We remain nothing to the gods and to the pseudogods are peons, but to other sentients we have gained a foothold that makes our relationship closer to one of equals.

I'm still sooooo ready to play BESM/Tri-Stat CoCthulhuTech, tho. Ha!

Sikozu, you hit the nail on the head. D-Engine technology is so advanced that we could no longer be ignored by the Mi'go. This forced them to steal the tech, create weapons that can compete with the new human tech, and engineer their own foot soldiers. THe only problem is that the initial invasion wasn't a complete success, we were able to defend ourselves well enough to buy some more time.

-Mike

Sylv
Hopefully you mean *evil laughter* inducing and not a *giggle* in a "that's so lame" sense;) If that's the case, please say so, it's never to late for a redesign=)

It was a cross between delighted and maniacal giggling. If you can imagine that. Add in a touch of dementia as well. I really like the nice, clean lines that are coming out of the designs btw.

I don't think I asked this before but are there going to be space-battle rules? Can any mecha go into space or is that going to be a space ship only thing?