Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Willowhugger

Whose excited about Cthulhutech?!

Willowhugger

I'm excited about this game a great deal.

Of course it's not going to be Lovecraftian in the sense of dawning horror about how your worldview is wrong. One of the main problems with running RPGs in Lovecraft is the fact that CoC is best run (in my opinion) as one shots that slowly unfold.

The characters live in a world though where knowledge of the Mythos is common knowledge. It is the End of the World as We Know it. Hastur is already awake, its pretty much upfront that the world can end WHEN HE WHO MUST NOT BE NAMED WILLS IT.

I see it as an excellent opportunity to play the last stand of humanity. This is where we get to see how humanity breaks up in the End Times. It's already fairly clear in my mind how its going to break down right now....

1. The vast majority of humans are going to die

It goes without saying that already 1/2 to 2/3rds of the human race are wiped out with the majority being hearded into vast cities. They will depend on their science or other's protection and will die like the screaming hordes of people in the War of the Worlds novel.

2. A substantial amount of humans are going to be incorporated into existing Mythos races

The Ghouls will probably take pity on humans who are nice to them and thus bring many into the fold of their food source before they go looking for another planet to feast of the dead upon.

The Deep Ones will do their "Innsmouth" business and probably think they will inherit the Earth (unless ghouls like fish)

The Yithians have been poised to take over upon our extinction for years.

A few human brains will probably be taken by the Mi-Go for leaps of logic, in effect becoming glorified computers for the Mi-Go.

3. A large number of human beings will join the Cults of the mythos

This is a stop gape measure that only postpones the inevitable. The Servants of Hastur will probably take over the Earth but how long they'll be able to hold it against the Forces assailing them or whether they'll become Bykakhee is anyone's guess.

No doubt some will die last and others first depending on the Old Ones. Sort of like "You notice a bunch of ants are encircling you (unaware they are praying to you)" SMOOSH

4. The remainder will evolve

The Mythos tech humans have will eventually result in a few die hard survivors becoming something 'else'. Immortal, livable in the vacuum of space, able to regenerate nearly anything, worshipping the Outer Gods for protection from their wrath, weird science of their own design, and no morality but the protection of their own race from the freaks...

They will probably retreat under the waves, into the Dark Places, cast themselves through time, enter suspended animation, or seek out new worlds where they will land and attempt to rebuild.

The next race they find driven insane by their appearence and knowledge.

Willowhugger

Willowhugger wrote:

4. The remainder will evolve

The Mythos tech humans have will eventually result in a few die hard survivors becoming something 'else'. Immortal, livable in the vacuum of space, able to regenerate nearly anything, worshipping the Outer Gods for protection from their wrath, weird science of their own design, and no morality but the protection of their own race from the freaks...

They will probably retreat under the waves, into the Dark Places, cast themselves through time, enter suspended animation, or seek out new worlds where they will land and attempt to rebuild.

The next race they find driven insane by their appearence and knowledge.

Mithras wrote:

I can imagine these Neo-Human spawn that you describe stumbling from the broken shells of their re-entry vehicles upon some garishly coloured world towards a monolithic Easter Island head, shaped like the face of Howard Phillips Lovecraft!

Note from Willowhugger: Don't worry about it.

Willowhugger

We remember the Old One Well....

The Dark One was blessed with forbidden knowledge that we maintain in these holy tomes The Chaosiumicron (collected editions of the book with their magical numbers detailing the strengths of the Mythos creatures) written by the many interpretations of the alien Mad Prophet from a distant world.

When the stars are in alignment, we will bring him forth anew!

Summoned Lovecraft: *In C-3PO voice* GAH! Beastly creatures! GET AWAY! ooooooo *faints*

Mithras

Thanks.

One wonders what your Cthulhutech neo-humans would be like 300,000 years from the End Times. You have to think in timescales like that, with neighbours like these.

Willowhugger

In Lovecraft's era there's alot of stuff that frankly would be viewed as us becoming more like the Deep Ones or other Outer beings.

* the changing of sexual morals to be more accomadating

* the worship of the Outer Gods as opposed to any 'false" religion

(we don't have to LIKE Azathoth but maybe we can return to placating him through sacrifices and the like)

* Possibly a far change standard of beauty depending on how the technology alters our looks (at best we might just all look like anime characters)

* The embrace of technology and magic as the tools for human kind to liberate themselves or at least some mixture of them.

* The forsaking of traditional morality for a purely utilitarian one with heavy emphasis on the materialist aspects of it all

For how we might PHYSICALLY change, I actually look to Transhuman Space for how Mythos humanity might become.

* Nanotechnology alterations to us

* Uploading our minds into entirely metallic bodies or electrical beings

* Combining machines and biology that don't lose the nature of either (robots that can BREED?!)

* Probably massive gene therapy to be supremely stronger and more durable along with better in a variety of environments

We could be as freakish as huge colonies of nanites that join together into weirdly shaped bodies communicating by electronics

or we might be simply like the Zentradie in Macross. Totally amoral but mainly reliant on our tech and superior in form bodies.

KenFinlayson
(we don't have to LIKE Azathoth but maybe we can return to placating him through sacrifices and the like)

That doesn't work for me. Azathoth is the Idiot God; it can't be placated with sacrifices. It doesn't have preferences or make decisions. It Is.

On the other hand, if you meant "maybe we can abjure it through the correct rituals", that I can agree with.

P.S. I am eagerly awaiting Cthulhutech. In fact, any game which draws on the Mythos is pretty nifty keen.

EzekialLockhart

I don't know how many of you have ever seen this Sci-Fi/Western called Firefly but its an excellent show, too bad it was taken off the air. Anywho, there's a group of "humans" called Reavers who spent too much time in space and not enough time on a planet and have basically gone insane. They perform ritual scarification and they hunt down other humans and eat them and make skin suits out of them. I demand something like this being in Cthulhutech.

Willowhugger

That doesn't work for me. Azathoth is the Idiot God; it can't be placated with sacrifices. It doesn't have preferences or make decisions. It Is.

On the other hand, if you meant "maybe we can abjure it through the correct rituals", that I can agree with.

P.S. I am eagerly awaiting Cthulhutech. In fact, any game which draws on the Mythos is pretty nifty keen.

I wasn't really speaking literally really. I was using Azathoth as mankind basically deciding to work within the framework of the Mythos rather than against it religiously.

Azathoth is an embodiment of the physical force of destruction so many certain magical rituals involving mass human/or whatever sacrifice might spare us some problems!

Like channeling our bad karma onto those primative fleshbags on Planet 10 we can guarentee our own immortality.

Maybe its a good time to start TALKING to the herald of the Outer Gods!

Get some Techno-Jazz going and soothe the big guy in exchange for some favors.

Careless

I am very excited about CthulhuTech, i think its a brilliant projection into how humanity might look later on.

As for Humanity worshipping Gods, i have a small objection. Depending on how proficient we get at Technology and Sorcery, we might just very well end up an Independent Race. We'll worship the Outer Gods in an attempt to prevent their wrath or take advantage of their "gifts."

But the GOOs? I'm not sure. If the Mythos Wars of the past are any indication, we could possiblely survive on our own, much the way the Elder Things and the Mi-Go do.

In fact, given that all the GOOs don't seem to be able to cooperate, we could pit one against the other.

"Mighty Yig, humanity will bow before you.... but will you allow all your servants to die at the hands of Cthuga?"

If our technology develops to the point where Humanity (or whatever you'd like to call the New humans) becomes a force to be reckoned with, we may in fact be able to form alliances with the other independent races in an effort to preserve ourselves collectively from some of the more active GOOs.

As a side note, its funny you should mention Azathoth. In a Con game i once played, the group of investigators out in the South Seas had failed, and Big C's home came arising out of the Sea.

The Big Gates opened, the Deep Spawn howled, many of us went insane, and just as the first tentacle reached beyond from the ebon darkness of the city..... the blind member of the group Summoned Azathoth right on top of Ryleth.

Obviously we were all killed, but in a "epilogue" news report by our Keeper, we found out that the City of Ryleth, Dagon, Hydra, the Deep Ones, and perhaps Mighty Cthulhu itself was destroyed in the Nucleonic Blast of the Daemon Sultan's appearance, that or the pseudo-pods got them.

Cthulhudude
I don't know how many of you have ever seen this Sci-Fi/Western called Firefly but its an excellent show.

Woo-hoo, chalk me up as a Firefly fan. I am very happy that this amazing show will live again in some form as a feature film. Who knows, maybe some TV big-wig with an IQ over 60 (that rules out everyone from FOX) will see this and get the ‘startling’ idea to make a television show based off of the movie. 8)

ThothAmon

William Timmins and co have already done a rather good Cthulhu-Tech universe :wink:

FunGuyfromYuggoth
In Lovecraft's era there's alot of stuff that frankly would be viewed as us becoming more like the Deep Ones or other Outer beings.

* the changing of sexual morals to be more accomadating

* the worship of the Outer Gods as opposed to any 'false" religion

HPL had a very interesting outlook on the universe, which from our modern tastes comes off as xenophobic. I am not sure if a more inclusive, modern outlook on sexual morality is necessarily indicative of becoming closer in outlook to the alien worldview of a Deep One. If anything, the Deep Ones look upon us as alternative breeding stock.

Otherwise, Deep Ones, IMHO, come across as profoundly motivated to serve Cthulhu's will and bide their time in anticipation of the rise of R'lyeh. Our morality, culture, etc. are of no interest to them, because they will eventually replace us.

Thorulfr

* Possibly a far change standard of beauty depending on how the technology alters our looks (at best we might just all look like anime characters)

But think of the contact lenses we would need!

http://www.doemain.com/index.cgi?date=20021108

(Note the "anime-sized" contact that Roxicat is holding in the right half of frame 1.)

<grin, duck, run>

Willowhugger

Is important in Lovecraft,

The Deep Ones and Mi-Go aren't really 'alien' so much as they are inhuman really (the Deep Ones less than the Mi-Go). The broadening of sexuality is harmful only in the fact that the normally good thing of understanding moral values (relative morality) and so forth...greater acceptance

Opens one to accepting the Mythos beings and destroying man.

In order for man to be human, he must reject the Mythos as the "other" without hesitation or regret.

So anyone have any ideas of what sort of characters they want to run in the world of Cthulhutech?

http://www.eos-press.com/downloads/CthulhuTechTimeline.pdf

Here's the timeline for the setting BTW.

I'm interested in playing a Non-Eucledian researcher but its difficult with coming up with a reason for him to be in the field and you're just not playing Cthulhutech unless you're in the front lines.

FunGuyfromYuggoth
Is important in Lovecraft,

The Deep Ones and Mi-Go aren't really 'alien' so much as they are inhuman really (the Deep Ones less than the Mi-Go). The broadening of sexuality is harmful only in the fact that the normally good thing of understanding moral values (relative morality) and so forth...greater acceptance.

So you're saying that by adhering to one interpretation of Judeo-Christian tradition on what is or isn't Mythos-inclined behavior, we are inviting the "greater acceptance" of the Deep Ones and the Mythos?

On that score I must respectfully disagree with you, because while debates about morality have human consequence, they are irrelevant when we're talking about the Mythos.

Lovecraft was at best ambivalent in his description of sexuality and inadvertently spawned a sub-genre of writing about his, err, private life (though his ex-wife pronounced him a good lover). What we do know is that he seemed more inclined to write about "miscegenation" in a way that implied some kind of "debasement" resulting from procreating with non-Yankees. I don't find that chasing him further down into this rabbit hole to be fruitful, since we would end up discussing his dabbling in politics and "racial purity," which turns sour rather quickly.

I will submit that calling something "inhuman" is patently humanocentric, which is not particularly Lovecraftian. We are flies on the windshield of the Mythos. Humans are a passing Independent race of no long-term importance, and nothing we do can affect or change when "the stars are right." We have no guarantors or protectors.

As you mentioned earlier, we will be conquered/destroyed/replaced, and the universe will continue with or without us, our nations, achievements, and our morality.

Willowhugger

Judaic-Christian tradition would allow post-marital sex with a member of the Mythos or allow acceptance of those who brought themselves into the fold of the faith. Neither religion makes any real judgement on the appearance of a person....or immortality for that matter.

Furthermore aside from the vaguest resemblance to the "purity of the blood" there is no actual point of referance with my personal faith. Only at its most barbaric aspects are what I'm pointing out (The Ban for instance) incorporated and perhaps the prohibition against marrying Gentiles or having children by them.

Instead I am pointing out that the strong undercurrent of protecting the essential humanity of one's being along with the 'cleanliness' of one's lineage. Yes its an offensive notion to us in modern eras that races are inferior (as well it should be) let alone the idea of destroying these creatures as a whole...

The only viable solution to protecting humanity's "human nature"

No,

What I am referring to is a fundamental interesting aspect that humanity's damnation is not necessarily guaranteed by the death at the hands of the Mythos or the corrupting use of Cthulhutech. It is the fact that human beings not only have to use Mythos technologies but embrace the most base, vile, and disturbed aspects of their psyche to survive in the world Lovecraft creates.

Victory against the Deep Ones and Mi-Go in my Cthulhutech game would be definitely taking the slant of asking how much of a monster PSYCHOLOGICALLY the players can become. Yesterday we played our first "prelude" game to Cthulhutech and it ended with smashing the eggs of all the Deep Ones and killing the human like babies of hybrids along with the women and men involved.

Planned for next week is the super-genius of the group going to be psychically bound and forcedto mate with one of the Ashcroft head's executives. This sort of rape is going to become common practice to ensure a better stock of humans post cataclysm.

This is the price for human victory.

On the other hand is becoming an alien creature that in not in my mind necessarily bad. My point on human sexuality is that values change and frankly the belief that its necessarily for the worst should be at the forefront of any Cthulhutech game.

Humanity isn't any better than the Mythos (it is a lesser Mythos race) and their activities prove it. Why are we afraid of becoming like them?

That's what I meant

FunGuyfromYuggoth

So when is Cthulhutech being released? I can't wait to unload a non-Lovecraftian can of whuparse on a GOO, then dying horribly afterwards.

In war, sacrifices need to be made...

Willowhugger

I hear its going to be available at Gencon. It was originally going to be for $15 but got too big.

Now they're planning a manga to it amongst other things.

FunGuyfromYuggoth
I hear its going to be available at Gencon. It was originally going to be for $15 but got too big.

This makes sense. While anime has always had a soft spot for the Flabby Tentacled Ones, they've always managed to mangle anything remotely canon. While combining giant robots and the Mythos isn't remotely canon, at least they'll set bar a little higher and acknowledge the source material in a proper way. The trick is getting a good artist and story, or it will come off like the old D&D comics (horrendous, SAN-losing spectacles that are either now worthless or priceless depending on the buyer).

I think the only "canon" that they care about are the plasmatic, ionizing kind...

Careless
Humanity isn't any better than the Mythos (it is a lesser Mythos race) and their activities prove it. Why are we afraid of becoming like them?

That's what I meant

Can it be? Have i found a kindered spirit? Someone who thinks that the End of Humanity is a Psychological Finality, but not necessarily a Physical one?

Oh and FunGuy, that's the Fun Part ! Time to let loose the dogs of War and bite back.

Willowhugger

What I've always had trouble with was conveying to my players that humanity has never been in any great danger of extermination. The horror element comes from the fact that...

* The Deep Ones

* The Ghouls

and now the Zentradie...err Nazzadie

are all actually variants of the human race to begin with. The Deep Ones are effectively simply human beings that have gills and are "bio-adapted" for undersea life along with being immortal.

Ghouls the exact same for Underground living.

The difference in my mind is the fact that the Deep Ones worship a ancient Caanite god who just happens to be alive and are perhaps just alittle more suceptible to the Dreams of Great Cthulhu that drive them out of their minds into sexual/feeding frenzies.

Yeah okay, maybe they're hippies who don't contribute anything technologically but does that make them so bad!?

The Ghouls on the other hand have a special diet that seems to me requires them to have a great deal of proteins that are available in human corpses. Their culture we know specifically forbids them to murder humans for food and while the whole "changeling" thing seems awful, it is a cultural reaction to the fact they'd not be welcome in human society.

(Like Native Americans in a Xenophobic cowboy town)

When confronted with amiable Europeans like Randolf Carter they seem quite friendly and willing to trade, shoot the breeze, learn about the odd human culture.

Cthulhutech has the Nazzadie assimilating fully into Cuba of all places.

My thoughts at least.

MikeV

First off I'd like to introduce myself, my name is Mike Vaillancourt and I'm the lead concept artist and illustrator on CthulhuTech and one of 5 senior partners with our development studio Wildfire LLC. My job is to visually establish the feel of the universe. I've been lurking on these boards from time to time and decided to chime in after reading some of the comments that are being made about CthulhuTech. I'd also like to appologize in advance for any grammatical errors made in this post, I'm not a writer, I'm an artist;]

Now onto these 2 comments in particular, the book will not be ready for GenCon. As much as we would've like to have had it finished in time for GenCon our full time jobs at Microsoft, Cingular Corporate, the US DOD, and freelancing have been eating up a bunch of our creative time that was being used on CT, you have to pay the bills first you know? However, there will be a PDF demo product available around that timeframe that should be a good sample of what's to come with final release.

Another comment on the delay, is that quality control is very important to us and we aren't going to release a product that doesn't exceed current industry standards. I could rush through the remainder of the concept art but I can guarantee you that it wont look very good and when the art specs get sent out the final pieces that go into the book are going to look really retarded. Hell look at the cover for COC Secrets of Japan.. need I say more?

http://www.chaosium.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=478

Anyone can crank out an RPG in a few months, and that RPG will not get my money because the lack of thought and effort put into the book will show just by looking at the cover. Establishing the IP is the largest task at hand, and it requires much more than just putting together an RPG. The story that has been put together for CT is nothing less than epic, and that's the feel that we're shooting for on final release of the RPG, if we haven't accomplished that, we haven't done our jobs right.

Regarding the Manga comment.. there isn't a manga in development for CT and more than likely wont be anytime in the near future if I have my say. A graphic novel sounds more logical at this point in time. A manga might be appropriate to coincide with the release of the anime series in the future but stylistically would not quite fit the universe right now. The reason for this being is that once I came on board, I was given an unusual amount of creative freedom. Althought I respect both Anime and Manga, I didn't feel that the big eyes small mouth mentality would appropriately display HPL's mythos. I do like the darker, more serious series and movies like The Guyver, Ghost In The Shell, or Jin Roh to name a few, and visually the animated style for a CT animated series would have to be more like the new GITS movie coming out in Japan soon. One of the hardest things about developing CT is that there is no real visual reference point to start with on allot of the creatures and technology that I'm developing so I'm having to start from scratch.

There are over 32 different mecha in CT from 4 different races. I've tried drastically to stay away from the look of "Guy in high tech armor" that series like Gundam have popularized today and were established by Robotech/Macross Saga originally for the designs. The visual approach that I'm trying for is more of a cross between dark fantasy and a clean sci-fi approach that works off of the ideal of compartmentalization and practicality for the humans in particular. Being a member of the US Military, specifically the aviation side, one of the things that we have to deal with is aging technology that has way more equiptment crammed into it than was originally intended. This in turn means that for practical uses allot of equiptment has to fulfill multiple roles.

You wont see allot of human mecha running around with hand guns and knives, if they have bladed weapons or cannons, they're built in. It doesn't make sense to get into hand to hand combat with someone only to have that weapon knocked away and destroyed if you can have it built into the chest, arm, etc. Heads are also a pointless addition if you can have sensor arrays and equiptment that can monitor 360 degree FOV (field of vision) and multiple back up systems. Heads can also lend itself to being broken, knocked off. This in turn causes the problem of no available visual navigation, other than by exiting the vehicle entirely.

The only mecha that you'll see that have heads are the Engels and that's because they are essentially genetically mutated beasts with cybernetic implants and a piloting system stylistically similar to Neon Genesis Evangelion implanted into their bodies. Just to debunk any rumors, small children do not pilot the Engels, grown adults do.. and there are psychological problems that occur from piloting them.

Regarding creature design.. one of the character classes that you can play is the Ta'ger. The Ta'ger is essentially a human being with a symbiotic organism that's not of this world/dimension bonded with it's host. As time passes your human appearance will gradually begin to reflect the appearance of the creature you've bonded with even when you are not "shifted" into your warrior form. They are very organic looking creatures, the original design inspriations came from RK Posts work in his art book Post Mortem if you need a visual reference. Anyhow, I've rambled on long enough. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask and I'll answer them as soon as I can. I'll make a point to start frequenting these boards more often now to help in any way that I can.

Your attention was greatly appreciated and I look forward to talking to you all in the somewhat immediate future

V/R

Mike Vaillancourt

FunGuyfromYuggoth
First off I'd like to introduce myself, my name is Mike Vaillancourt and I'm the lead concept artist and illustrator on CthulhuTech and one of 5 senior partners with our development studio Wildfire LLC. My job is to visually establish the feel of the universe. I've been lurking on these boards from time to time and decided to chime in after reading some of the comments that are being made about CthulhuTech. I'd also like to appologize in advance for any grammatical errors made in this post, I'm not a writer, I'm an artist;]

While I was skeptical in the past, everything I've read so far from the developers of this game tells me that this could be a really neat game.

Sylv

I've been looking forwards to Cthulhu tech for...hrm. More than a year, now that I think about it. I like the "last stand" feel to it and it'll be refreshing to play around with the mythos concepts in a different setting than we've seen before. I already have other gamers asking me when this sucker's coming out so we can try it.

Hey Mike, good to see you on here!

MikeV

good to be here Sylv;] One of my biggest gripes about CT when Matthew first started talking to me about this was "Man we're going to p*** off a bunch of the purists", he agreed.. I didn't want to really insult HPL's mythos so I tried my best to keep it simple and boil it down to "WWHPL do?" heh Essentially when I sat down and started nailing down concept art for the book for the traditional characters like the Mi-Go I tried not to copy anything that's been done before and basically did my interpretation of the description that HPL gave for the existing characters. When it came to updating the tech, my previous post pretty much explains it all. This isn't freaking Star Wars by any stretch of the imagination.. it's much darker. The concept work I've been doing has just been somewhat clean sketches and I've been saving the pretty detail work for stuff like the cover. cthulhu-tech-whisper-sketch.jpg this is the sketch that was leaked to the net by someone that no longer works with us so since the cat's out of the bag I figured it was time to dump it up here. It's one of the Ta'gers from the setting, on one side his wings are folded to display what he looks like without them extended just to explain what's going on in the picture. It's concept art, it's supposed to get the idea across it doesn't have to be super pretty. You'll understand more what they look like in color once Sam Araya and I finish the cover artwork. FunGuyfromYuggoth, thx for the compliment, we're trying our best to make this game as cool as possible. Our major goal is to up the bar and show everyone how it's done in the world of IP development. Pre-production is time intensive and requires allot of work with our current skeleton crew. Our day jobs are such a major interference right now in getting the book done quickly.. someday I'll explain the full details of what we all did individually before we went full time in IP Development so you can truly understand how none of us had any free time developing CT. On that note, if any of you want to see the book come out sooner find me a good concept artists that's willing to work for cheap so I can split this forever growing list of stuff to draw;]

-Mike