Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

greenfeld69

HP Lovecraft movies!

greenfeld69

Hi all

Just wondering, what HP Lovecraft movies are out there? I've seen Re-animator, which was fun but not Lovecraft, I also recall a compilation of Lovecraft stories which was pretty crap as well. Just got Dagon on DVD, but haven't seen it yet (for £4.99 I'm not bothered if it's crap!).

Nobody has done it right that I've seen but I heard the Hellboy (looks good!) director is working on a Mountains of Madness movie, anyone know any more?

Steve

Thorulfr
Just wondering, what HP Lovecraft movies are out there?

I think there is a thread around here somewhere on that same subject.

What is it about Lovecraft that inspires such amazing writing, and such abysmal movies?

I think the general consensus was that The Thing and In The Mouth of Madness (both by John Carpenter) are pretty good attempts at capturing the mood and feel of the Mythos, while not being specifically "Lovecraftian"

While the movie version of "The Keep" removed all Mythos references, the original novel includes such characteristic touches as a hidden library of books whose names we can all recite from memory. Oddly enough, the movie had a better ending. It also has some nice cinematographic moments and a great soundtrack by Tangerine Dream. Otherwise, it is pretty forgettable. Weird - just noticed that the director was Michael Mann (Miami Vice, Band of the Hand, Manhunter.) That explains a lot.

Do yourself a favor: see Manhunter and forget that Silence of the Lambs ever existed. Anthony Hopkins turned Hannibal Lector into a cartoon villain that chewed up scenery with as much relish as the character devoured 'Long Pig' with fava beans and a nice Cianti.

((mmmmm...fava beans....))

Mythos

Two of my favorites, both based on the novel, "the Case of Charles Dexter Ward", are The Haunted Palace, and, The Reserected.

The first is a loose adaptation, but with Vincent Price... who cares! :D

The second is a more faithful, if modern, version and manages to keep most of its mood. Also, it includes some of the flashback material sequences dealing with half living things floating in the river.

greenfeld69

Just started watching Dagon, it's alright! Very claustrophobic, what I've seen so far, and quite good fun! Cheesy but not bad (the acting sucks!). I like the webbed fingers and gills on the necks of the inhabitants of the town (not Innsmouth!).

Spinning_Grave

"The Resurrected" is a great adaption if you can find it. There are actually a decent number of movies with at least partial Lovecraft influence. I recommend picking up a copy ot the book "The Lurker in the Lobby" by Andrew Migliore & John Strysik. They are the guys who run the Lovecraft Film Festival in Oregon. Their book has good reviews and interviews in it. There is also a review of "The Ancestor". "The Ancestor" is the unreleased director's cut of "The Resurrected". It's supposedly way different and incredibly cool. I would love a DVD with both cuts featured.

You can alose surf Migliore & Strysik's web site. It has some of the reviews from the book.

http://www.thelurker.com/

cynick

Another good HPL movie site is Unfilmable.

Spinning_Grave
Another good HPL movie site is Unfilmable.

Doh! I can't believe I forgot Craig's site. He's been so nice to host my trailer and advertise my film short.

His site is pretty thorough too.

Cthulhudude
"The Resurrected" is a great adaption if you can find it.

(SNIP)

I would love a DVD with both cuts featured.

I posted it here once, but since you're new, I'll post it again. Here is an online petition to get The Resurrected released on DVD because as of right now there are no plans to do so. I don't know if these petitions ever do any good, but they couldn't hurt.

http://www.petitiononline.com/TRDVD/petition.html

Spinning_Grave

Signed.

Nick_B

The most Lovecraftian movie I've ever seen is Pi.

Agree there needs to be a DVD of The Ressurected. Actually, make that a Director's cut of The Ressurected - apparently Dan O'Bannon hated the studio cut.

Spinning_Grave

There is also a number of film shorts to be seen.

From the serious:

Christin Matzke's "Nyartholotep" and "An Imperfect Solution": http://www.www.reanimator.8m.com/ccp.html

(Matzke's one of the contributors for Cthulhu Live and the creator of the Propping Up the Mythos web site. http://www.miskatonic.net/pickman/mythos/ )

Aaron Vanek's "Return to Innsmouth":

http://www.beyond-books.com/productions/innsmouth/#innsmouth

Raymond Saint-Jean's "Out of Mind": http://www.sfsite.com/09a/om135.htm

Some of these can be found for sale at Beyond Books:

http://www.beyond-books.com/catalog/

There are also the silly film shorts:

"The Cthulhu Wore Tennis Shoes" (Both on the "Lurker in the Lobby Vol. 1" and available on-line for download): http://www.studentgroups.ucla.edu/enigma/video.html

"A Shoggoth on the Roof" (My favorite):

http://www.cthulhulives.org/Shoggoth/

.....and soon some crap called "Enter the Dagon". I heard the director is touched in the head.

Rev_Danno

I rented 'Luker in the Lobby' about 2 months ago...

the Cthulhu wore Tennis shoes is the stupidedest thing I've seen in years (makes Manos look brilliant!)..

Also from now on I plan to avoid any Music Videos from Canadian/Mythos Bands... More like Deepest hillside SUCK-IT'S! (I really do like them, I'm just being un-funny).

But I do realize it's a very clever Idea for all whom love the Mythos to support these films, and tell everyone else about how bad they are otherwise someday it may become main stream...

I know I don't want to wake up some saturday morning and see A 'Mythos Babies' Cartoon...

MarkRyan

Has anyone done a poll of peoples' favourite Lovecraft based movies? (or even a list of what's actually available) Also I'd be interested to know how much any of the 'major' releases made in the cinema/on video.Sorry I can't be more specific about titles etc; films just aren't my thing

corpse-eater

Nick_B

Good idea! Go here now!

greenfeld69

Just seen Dagon all the way through and, whilst a bit silly in places, it was pretty damned good fun. The Deep Ones didn't look quite how I imagined it but they weren't a million miles away either. I just liked the effort and care that had gone into the movie.

And the chick that gets sacrificed has nice breasts :)

Cthulhudude
And the chick that gets sacrificed has nice breasts :)

Yes but they were all cut up and bloody you sick, sick man! :x But er…they were really nice, weren’t they? :twisted: I mean you're a sick man and you should be ashamed! 8)

Klarkashton

Many of the theatrical feature films based on Lovecraft stories have been

either badly done or had the actual Lovecraft element removed.

The best treatments of Lovecraft stories I have seen were made for

TV. I believe "Rod Serlings Night Gallery" did a few (Pickmans Model,

and Cool Air). Also, I believe "Amazing Stories" did some

very Lovecraftian episodes (I loved "Gramma").

I wish someone would make a list of all Lovecraft movies, as well

as movies that borrow heavily from Lovecraft ; and also

TV shows like Night Gallery, Buffy/Angel, Twilight Zone, Amazing Stories,

and etc.

Cthulhudude
Also, I believe "Amazing Stories" did some

very Lovecraftian episodes (I loved "Gramma").

One small point; Gramma was based off a story by Stephen King for those who want to know but I agree, it did have Lovecraftian overtones to it.

Klarkashton

What a coincidence! I was flipping through my copy of the "Annotated

H. P. Lovecraft" by S. T. Joshi and found at the end a small article

that gave a rundown of theatrical and TV productions of Lovecraftian

features. It included some that I wasn't aware of.

The_Usernameless_Horror

Just seen the most amazing film - not based on Lovecraft, but possibly the most easily adaptable film to the CoC genre since Ring (all hands brace for counter-argument) - Sanitarium.

****** SPOILER ALERT *******

Set in the year 2000, the plot is as follows. A new drug (B390) is being tested by a variety of unscrupulous doctors in a sanitarium. The drug seems to be a universal panacea for insanity - after a few doses, raving lunatics are sane and lucid. However, everyone around the patient - doctors, security guards, and patients - seems to be becoming more and more insane. As weird objects are extracted from the bodies of some autopsied patients, the mystery expands.

It turns out that the insane are being fed upon by mental parasites. These creatures exist in the world of thought alone (Dreamlands?) and live on the insanity of humans. When the drug cured their hosts, the parasites were forced to move elsewhere, first to nearby insane, then to the sane, feeding off the dementia-like responses of normal people to stress and anxiety. Being non-physical, they cannot be seen except on the hospital security cameras and on photographs taken of the patients.

One young doctor who investigates the situation becomes irrational and desperate to prove their existence. When he sees them through a camera, everyone else believes him insane and he is committed - until other photographs come out. It seems the creatures are seeking a way into the physical world, and they soon find one in the most disturbing manner imaginable...

Cthulhudude

So is it a new movie or old? Is it on video or DVD or at the show?

The_Usernameless_Horror

I don't know when it was made - I think it is about ten years old, but shot in such a way to look much older e.g. grainy films. It is a British film so it didn't get much publicity, but it is available on DVD and presumably on video. Try Amazon.

Nick_B
I don't know when it was made - I think it is about ten years old, but shot in such a way to look much older e.g. grainy films.

imdb says 2001.

From the plot summary on imdb, it sounds a little bit like Will Self's The Quantity Theory of Insanity, which would be totally cool. I suspect this won't be the case, however.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.