PoC

Guestbook (Introduce Yourself!)

PiperErickson

Hi

I'm Joe. I live in North Vancouver, Canada. You'll find me posting here, at the SPONGE website, and at the Vancouver Gaming Guild.

I guess RPGs all started for me with the Fighting Fantasy books. My friend bought "Out of the Pit" and we made a roleplaying system so we could play. One day I walked into a game store and asked them if they had any games where you could play wizards and knights and the guy showed me AD&D 2nd (the hardcover with the knight on horseback). Wow, what a cool book! I read it in one day and then I made characters but I didn't have anyone to run a game with :?

Eventually I got some players together and I DMed for about 8 years before I started saying, "hey why can't one of you guys be the DM?!". And then I took some time off because I was tired of DMing...

Since then, I've played in a number of D&D campaigns, some Earthdawn, some Heroes Unlimited. My first girlfriend gave me CoC 5th ed. in 1998 and I've only been able to run two one-shots between now and then :(

Now I'm looking for a CoC group to join because the players I know won't play CoC :(

[rant] Eventually I'd like to be Keeper, so I won't be one of those guys that only is a player and never knows how much work us GMs do! [/rant]

SteelScarab

Hello everyone!!

My name is Noah, I am 17 years (and counting) i have never played CoC before but play d&d quite frequently. I have been looking forward to playing sometime but cant quite find anywhere to do it.. Most of the people i talk to around here ( N.Y. South of Buffalo) have never even heard of it. Looking forward to some potential games in the future.. Oh yeah, I just purchased my first H.P.l book, and I have to say I'm hooked. I've been so used to reading Dragonlance that I have never really read anything else, but i got this and I love it.

themaninawhitecar

Howdy:

Just a short note to introduce myself. My name is Bill Nichols, currently a resident of Madison, Wisconsin. I run Cthulhu Now for a group of friends and also run Cthulhu Now at GenCon, PlatteCon and RockCon. Oh, I just may add Origins to that list, but for the moment that's still up in the air.

shinobi

Hey everyone!

I´m Peter from Stockholm, Sweden! CoC was the first rpg written in english that I played, and have stuck with it since. For the moment I´m not playing though, ´cause I´ve been GM´ing a Middle Earth campain. But hopefully all this will change when the campain is over. I guess I´ve been playing since I was ten or eleven years old, and now I´m reaching allmost twentynine...

Gamewise I´ve played some WoD stuff, mostly Wraith the Oblivion, whitch is an exellent game by the way. Some AD&D for a short while and a lot of MERP that eventually led on to Rolemaster and Spacemaster. I´ve tried some other games as well, but not worth mentioning, allthough I really enjoy Sengoku (Feudal Japan).

Take care...

Iä!!! Iä!!! Iä!!!

/shinobi 8O

Mistress

Hi

I have been known to frequently pop into a certain "Travelling Man" store & have had this place highly recommended to me. I think this is a stunning looking site.

Anyway, about me - I'm a forensics student who has discovered an interest in Cthulhu, I also enjoy photography, computing (I have an RPG Resource site) & all things weird & unusual.

So hello to you all. *waves*

MarkRyan

Welcome Mistress

If you are looking for the weird and unusual then this is certainly the place to hang out;and that's just the people who post here :lol: .You say you are a Forensics student - which variety are you studying? (I have a passable knowledge of Forensic Archaeology,hence my interest.)

cheers

corpse-eater

TheThing

Hello!

I just like to be called The Thing due to my love of Marvel's Fantastic Four.

I'm 34 (gulp) and have been RPGing for 20 years on and off. I started on OD&D, progressed to 1e AD&D.

Currently, I do most of my gaming on-line, either by message board or via e-mail. I'm involved in a couple of AD&D campaigns, a 1920's CoC scenario and am about to (hopefully) Keep a Gaslight one (see posts elsewhere regarding my trials and tribulations!)

I'm based just on the N Surrey SW London border, but am having difficulty finding a group to game with.

By trade I'm a Property Claims Inspector (very boring, but it's paid for my wife to get thru Uni and it's nearly time to give it up!) I'm also a part-time student studying Geoscience thru the Open Uni.

Cheers!

shadowheart

My name is Robert, tho I go by shadowheart on most of the boards I run on, or at least some variation thereof. I have only recently come into the "Thulhu fold, but I have been roleplaying for a good 20 plus years now. I've played all editions of D&D, Cyberpunk, a little Shadowrun, extensive World of Darkness, a number of little nkown games (Runequest, et al) and a number of homebrews. The town I currently live in is in and of itself a perfect inspiration for "thulhu game ideas due to a number of local myths and whatnot.

I am also a member of the Code Monkey Publishing forums, the Kenzer and Co forums, head of my own yahoo group dedicated to HackMaster and the Regional Chapter I and a number of others are working to bring to life for Central/North Texas and southern Oklahoma. Also to my credit, I am a Sanctioned Game Master with Kenzer's HackMaster Association, credentials available upon request. :wink:

Current projects, when work allows, include working the Iron Kingdoms campaign setting into my copy of the D&D eTools program, assisting a friend with working on his own "Thulhu-ish game that he is writing, and studying the d20 'Thulhu book in preparation for melting away the thin veneer of sanity that my gaming group so tenaciously clings to. Future projects include trying to make a data set if possible for the "Thulhu game setting to be used with the eTools program...of course that also depends on how much info and advice I can glean out of the support monkeys over at CMP.

Well, back to perusing the download section with me. Happy investigations and warm nightmares to all!

Castaigne

Hi there,

My name's Thom, and I play and run CoC. Though I've got some friends who were involved with the production of d20CoC, I refuse to play it on general principles.

I'm a writer. Current projects include a rather longish Dark Fantasy novel, a series of sonnets based on "The King in Yellow", and a Mi-Go-infested opera.

The opera, at least, will probably never be finished for reasons more related to mundane issues than some sort of Eldritch conspiracy.

cynick
I'm a writer.

Glad to see your version of The King in Yellow is to be reprinted. Any more details as yet?

Samhain

Hello. My name is Sam.

I originally got interested in CoC when my brother scared the bejesus out of our buddies and me with "Crack'd and Crook'd Manse" many years ago. Last year, these friends got back together and begged to play this grand old RPG again. So, at age 39 8O, I took up the mantle of keeper for our little group here in southern California. The resulting insanity has made me risk my wife' wrath to buy such out-of-print gems as Mansions of Madness, Great Old Ones, Walker in the Wastes, Horror on the Orient Express, and Beyond the Mountains of Madness. Now if I could only have the time to run them all, rather than just read/drool on/roll around in them...

But most of all, I wanted to say how great Yog-Sothoth.com is, and to commend everyone involved in keeping it going. I've been lurking as a guest for a while, but this site has improved my gamekeeping skills so much that it seemed only fair to come out of hiding and express my appreciation. Thanks, Y-S!

Robbie

Awe ... that's great. The site owner (Paul aka PoC) puts many hours into the site to keep it vibrant and fresh, and we have a great team of moderators and some fantastic members, so it's no wonder that Yog-Sothoth is such a great place! But it's wonderful to be reminded of that fact every so often. :D

Thank you and you are most welcome!

Castaigne

Glad to see your version of The King in Yellow is to be reprinted. Any more details as yet?

None as yet. These things move with a glacial pace. John Tynes has agreed to write a forward, and there may be some other additional material as well.

cynick
These things move with a glacial pace.

This phenomenon has often been associated with Mythos related projects :roll:

John Tynes has agreed to write a forward, and there may be some other additional material as well.
:D

shaggy

hello, my name is Colm, I'm from a town called Monaghan in Ireland. Its along the border with northern ireland. I got into playing CoC through my friend and I've now taken over as keeper of our little group so he can run other games. We play CoC usually once a fortnight for about three hours and alternate other games the week between to keep things fresh. Unfortunatly we have lost one of our group to his girlfriend and work but we will struggle on and I really enjoy running games and being cruel :) (depends on how the coffee and snacks are going down).

Does anyone know where my quote came from? I'll give a new car worth 25K tot he one who does.*

*Actual offer does not exist. Anyone who guesses correctly will recieve a pat on the back a warm glow of smug self satisfaction.

carnage_lee

Red Dwarf - Duane Dibbley to Ace Rimmer.

Does anyone know where my quote came from? I'll give a new car worth 25K tot he one who does.*

*Actual offer does not exist. Anyone who guesses correctly will recieve a pat on the back a warm glow of smug self satisfaction.

shaggy
Red Dwarf - Duane Dibbley to Ace Rimmer.

Congratulations. You will be receiving your pat on the back in the post within the next week. God but i love that show. 8)

ShishKang

My name's Andrew, I'm 28, I'm from a little boring crap-town in Pennsylvania. Although Mary Reeser, who had spontaneous combustion in 1951 in Florida, used to live in a house down the street from me. Always been fascinated by ghosts, monsters, and horror movies, first experience with Lovecraft was reading "The Outsider" in 7th grade, first experience with Cthulhu was running "Edge of Darkness" for my friend and his brothers.

Umm... preferred era in Cthulhu is Gaslight, because I'm a Victorianophile (mostly due to my unending fascination with Jack The Ripper), although I also have an ongoing love affair with Delta Green. I have a little DVD collection of Victorian-era horror movies (From Hell and a ton of old Hammers and "other" British horror) as well as my favorite movie ever, The Elephant Man. And I'm a hippie pretty much.

If you can figure out where my username comes from, I'll give you a virtual cookie. And no, it's not an Anglicization of "chiang shih".

Thorulfr
...Last year, these friends got back together and begged to play this grand old RPG again. So, at age 39 8O, I took up the mantle of keeper for our little group here in southern California.

It looks like we now have four list members that reside in the over-watered deserts of the Golden State: FunGuyFromYuggoth, GregorSamsa, you, and I. There used to be this bar up on Melrose that was a speakeasy during prohibition, we ought to get together sometime - though the giant cockroach and I reside behind the Orange Curtain, so it is a bit of a drive.

The_Silent_One

Hello. I just happened to visit this site in the past every once and a while due to my mild obsession with weird fiction, Lovecraft, and the works of Thomas Ligotti. Now, here I am. Although I have not actually played CoC, which is more than a tad embarassing :oops: , I do have great interest in it. I enjoy writing subtle horror and have a knack for the surreal.

Nollvane

Hi all. I've been posting for a week or two, but I guess I should have introduced myself here first. Whoops! :oops:

My name is Guy, 31, and I am a musician here in Wichita, Kansas (which is currently receiving unusual media attention from the arrest of the alleged BTK serial killer).

Although a long-time HPL (and Weird Tales in general) devotee, as well as a RPGer, I avoided CoC when I was younger because I thought it would take the mystery out of the mythos to have it all spelled out in game stats. Then I was out of role-playing for a few years. Oh well. I guess you could say I lightened up, and am currently running a pulp-era CoC game using the d20 rules. (Needless to say, I can't wait for Pulp Cthulhu to come out, even if it won't be d20.)

This is a terrific site: the forum has given me lots of ideas for my game, and the links and downloads are a rich resource as well.

Thanks to all involved in its production!

PoC

Moved from other forum.

Hey Fungi's and girls. I'm just new to this Call of Cthulhu webpage and, as I was very impressed with the site, decided to sign up and just wanted to introduce my self to everyone.

I have been playing CofC since 1996 and have enjoyed every game I have played. Apart from a period when I didn't game(approx 2 years) I have been active for a long time. I've played the majority of Games Workshop games (I also own the Games Workshop rule book of Cthulhu!), Westend Games Paranoia, Warhammer fantasy roleplay, Feng Shui and almost every game that you could think of, but my favourite has always been Cthulhu.

I have also played in 3 student nationals, 98 - Bangor, 99 - Glasgow and 00 Lesceister. Now im a nightclub manager and see many sights most nights that Lovecraft would be proud of. :wink:

I have also played in an excellent campagin of my friends creation (Cthulhu) that spanned the course of a year(real time!) and count this to be my favourtie gaming experience that i've ever had! The campagin had lots of intrigue, cultists and shocks and laughs and, in my humble opinion, this is what Roleplaying games are about, getting together with your friends and haveing a good time. :D

Any way I hope to become a regular poster on this site and would appraciate all your advice and thoughts on any aspect of gaming.

Thanks

Welcome el_pieablo - and all our other recent members! Hope you enjoy it here!

Paul

mensan98th

Afternoon, everyone--I've been a member of this site for a while now and thought I'd finally post something to the forums. I've been a member of Strange Aeons for many years and rarely post there, either, but consider its members longtime friends. One day I may even meet a couple of them f2f. 8O

I'm a longtime RPGer and CoC player/Keeper. I generally run canned scenarios, mostly because a friend bought me US$500 worth a few years ago. I still write the occasional scenario, and specialize in morally disturbing games riddled with puzzles and traps. :twisted: Regardless of the scenario's origin, though, I hyperprepare for game sessions, even doing things like printing maps for my own reference, reading the history of a given site, comparing street systems now and then, printing reference packets for the players, and generating long lists of potential NPC names (I've got a player who's notorious for asking things like, "The owner of the antique shop...does he have an uncle with three missing toes and a cleft palate, and whose initials are PBE?").

Four years ago, I converted a group of D&D 3rd ed. sword bunnies to the CoC universe. They have since spread the cult among newer and younger members. My core group likes the gameplay pulpy, and I am happy to oblige, especially if I can also slip in something that disturbs them later.

The greatest scenario I've run so far has been Masks of Nyarlathotep; I will start running BtMoM soon, and I expect it to eclipse Masks. I have already checked out some of the forum postings on BtMoM and appreciate the time other Keepers took in transcribing/recreating their gaming sessions for the benefit of others.

I'm currently trading game sessions with another Keeper in our group. He's running Utatti Asfet and interweaving seeds from The Stars Are Right, and I'm doing the Trail of Tsthoggua/Horror's Heart combo. Generally speaking, our group has divided the Mythos universe up: I've got Antarctica and the Dreamlands; another Keeper has the 1990s and present day; another one has the 1920s; and a fourth is about to run his first scenario set in World War I.

I also generally do not write long posts. :) Take care, and talk to you soon.

Heather (Baton Rouge)

Grifter

Hello everyone, it's nice to be here. :) My name is Mark, I'm 34 and I'm from Hoorn, a small town near Amsterdam, the Netherlands.

I have been a Keeper for about 17 years now and though I've played dozens of other RPG's, CoC still remains my favourite. There is just something very satisfying about pitting ordinary human beings against the mystery and horror of the Mythos and actually scaring your players (fear being one of the most difficult emotions to evoke in an RPG).

I'm looking forward to picking up new ideas for scenarios and ways to become a better Keeper and perhaps to contribute in some small way to the discussions.

Frax

Greetings from a Casual Anglophile (and lapsed CoC author)

Hi!

I used to be an "official" CoC author in the dimly-remembered prehistory of the early 90s. My friend GFS indirectly pointed this site out to me a few weeks ago, and I've been just this side of lurking since then. After I posted a comment to his review of TSAR (2nd ed.), AdamAstonbury suggested I post a "Hi!" somewhere and this seems to be the best place.

This is a great site for catching up a., on the thoughts of actual players and keepers; and b., just to see what has happened to the game in the decade or so since my attention lapsed.

Overall, a great site!

(Special greetings and thanks to PoC for great site admin, of course.)