Sign in to follow this  
TheMidnightHunter

Western Cthulhu?

LordKrieg
To satisfy my curiosity, were your new players drawn to your game primarily because it was a Western, because they wanted to try CoC or was it a more even blend of both?

For me, I found a pocket of dedicated and urbane Cthulhu players burning to play in the Old West. Similarly, in Philadelphia (a very non-Western place culturally and geographically), i kept seeing LFG posts of people who listed Lovecraft and Western games as ones they'd like to play.

The veteran COC player came to me and asked if I would run a Wild West campaign for him and some of his friends.

Cole

Has anyone else running an Old West Cthulhu campaign had success in re-setting classic or modern published material in the Old West? I've been doing this for my Western campaign.

Constantine

I've never run an old west CoC game, but I've converted classic scenarios to modern; I think classic to old west would be smoother. Then there's Gaslight scenarios, that's the same period in a different local.

An old west setting could be a way to use some classic scenarios that I couldn't figure a way to convert to modern. My players have no interest in classic era, but I could probably sell old west.

What scenarios did you re-skin? Any stand out as particularly well suited to the old west setting?

HomoLupusDomesticus

I think The Spawn from The Great Old Ones would convert to the Old West smoothly.

KRoss

Try also The Secret of Castronegro, from the old Cthulhu Companion (reprinted in Cthulhu Classics? or somewhere else?). The old west book I'm working on has an article on creating campaigns and adventures in the era, and one bit deals with converting existing scenarios. For instance, with a little tooling you can probably refit The Haunting, Edge of Darkness, and The Madman, from the rulebook, to the old west setting. And that's just for a start...

KAR

desolation angel

Cole

So far, the scenarios that I've reskinned for the Western setting and ran successfully include:

Rise of Xnaaki from UBB 0

The Plantation from Mansions of Madness

Mater Tenebrarum from Our Ladies of Sorrow

They have all gone over extremely well and I found them all surprisingly simple to adapt. It's almost as much fun as writing and playing my own original scenarios with the group. Our team of investigators is having an absolute blast and we are relishing Mythos and non-Mythos play in this engaging setting.

KRoss
So far, the scenarios that I've reskinned for the Western setting and ran successfully include:

Rise of Xnaaki from UBB 0

The Plantation from Mansions of Madness

Mater Tenebrarum from Our Ladies of Sorrow

Mater T, huh? I can definitely see Mater Suspiriorum working for the period. Heck, Mater Lachrymarum too for that matter (Mater?).

KAR

(still workin on it)

Cole

My next adaptation to the Old West will probably be MRP's Spare the Rod.

My group has totally fallen in love with the campaign and Western setting thus far. To set tone, we've had tequila, whiskey, and beer flowing. Beef jerky, chili, black coffee and with the warm weather we're playing outside around the firepit and smoking some pork for bbq and beans. I might put on 30 lbs before this campaign winds down.

Cole

Last month Spare the Rod went pretty well, but in all honesty it was not as well received as I had hoped. It was a poorly thrown change up on my part and not really a weakness in the scenario itself.

The look of sincere fear on the player's face when his character was isolated and then taken away for the toe-tastic interrogation with the ghouls . . . AWESOME!!

This weekend I'm playtesting a scenario Kevin Ross drafted for his forthcoming Western sourcebook. The town setting attached to the story is staggeringly fascinating and reading it is better than sipping a great small batch bourbon or single malt whisky. Can't wait 'til Saturday to run this stuff!

LordKrieg
Cole said:
The town setting attached to the story is staggeringly fascinating and reading it is better than sipping a great small batch bourbon or single malt whisky. Can't wait 'til Saturday to run this stuff!

That must be one heck of a read then. When is this book due out?

echofalls
"The Fastest Draw In The West" -- Avatar of Nyarlathotep

Hehe. I like this idea of a supernatural and unbeatable gunslinger who happens to be an avatar of Nyarly. He goes around town provoking fights. And of course, he always wins.

Great job */Deadpan* Now all I'll be able to see when I read this is Nyarly in a cowboy attire....

"Whoo! That was fun!"

KRoss
That must be one heck of a read then. When is this book due out?

Not for awhile, I'd imagine. Rough draft finishes up this month, then revision next month, handed off to Chaosium 1st September (probably?). Then work gets underway on the accompanying book of old west adventures, hoping to have that in by the end of the year as well. Depending on what I get for that, there MAY be a short campaign book as well. We'll see.

I DO know I'm having a ball writing it. Lots of cool stuff, two sample settings and two intro adventures so far. (Hey Cole, there may be a THIRD setting coming up!)

Anywho, off to hammer on it some more...

KAR

eldritch gunslinger

Cole

Wrapped up our first "season" of Western Cthulhu. It was a blast, but like any HBO series, we like to take a hiatus and come back strong later. Right now my group is on to playing some L5R for a while, but maybe Kevin's book will be available by the time we come back from our Rokugan hiatus.

Dr Evyl

Howdy folks,

Just thought I'd mention that I wrote a short, one-night scenario set in the Old West to celebrate the 30th anniversary of Call of Cthulhu. You can get Sundown for free from Chaosium.

Cole

Thanks for the heads up, Evyl. i downloaded it and look forward to running it with our team when we come back from hiatus. I'll be sure to send you a report on how things went.

Quite cool of you to make this available.

Dr Evyl
Thanks for the heads up, Evyl. i downloaded it and look forward to running it with our team when we come back from hiatus. I'll be sure to send you a report on how things went.

That'd be fantastic Cole, I'd really appreciate hearing any reports of how the scenario ran, or any feedback about the scenario generally.

Hexelis

I think it was back in '08 i ran a western Cthulhu game with only the WoC #2 character sheet, a list of wild west guns in French and some blank maps of the US i downloaded. It was one of the funnest games I every ran. Later I actually got WoC #2, and currently my brother is running a yearly Wild West Cthulhu game using Woc#2, KnuckleDusters Cowtowns and some supplements from Aces High, we modify a lot of stuff, I don't think we've ever settled on a rule-set yet. But it's a mainstay of our gaming for sure.

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this