Sign in to follow this  
TheMidnightHunter

Western Cthulhu?

ironclad
what did you think of the rules? How did you tweak the rules to work?

I have looked at the Knuckleduster books, but only after the campaign I Keeper'd. Knuckleduster does look useful, I agree.

I used to be very fond of skirmish wargaming, and so I had several alternate rulesets for Western 25 mm. Not that I used them, but they were helpful inasmuch as the gun stats - and gun calibre - listings were pretty complete. I just used the stats listed and converted them roughly to Cthulhu. I think Delta has a respectable calibre conversion chart as part of its firearms rules. I may have leaned on that; I can't remember now. I don't imagine for a minute it was 100% accurate, but it was good enough for play.

As for grit, spit, etc., never touch the stuff.

I can't remember the Fast Draw workaround. It was probably DEX based, but the ins and outs of it are lost to memory.

is knuckleduster book the same with the brass knuckles book?

moonbeast

"The Fastest Draw In The West" -- Avatar of Nyarlathotep

Hehe. I like this idea of a supernatural and unbeatable gunslinger who happens to be an avatar of Nyarly. He goes around town provoking fights. And of course, he always wins.

wendigogo
"

Hehe. I like this idea of a supernatural and unbeatable gunslinger who happens to be an avatar of Nyarly. He goes around town provoking fights. And of course, he always wins.

Take a look at "The Evil Gun" from "Blood Brothers II" :P

Wendigogo

Stannex
Any word on Pagan's Mysteries of the Old West or Super Genius' Deep in the Heart of Texas?

I can't speak for where things stand at Pagan, but I can tell you that Deep In The Heart Of Texas has run into the snag my schedule being too full. HOWEVER, you may be heartened (or not) to know that we were just discussing it at our latest Super Genius Games conference call ... and I HOPE to be able to start actually WRITING it sometime in February.

The good news is that the adventure is going to be somewhat beefier than originally conceived. Of course, the flip side of that is that it will take a little longer to write.

I'll certainly post more here as things become more concrete ... but I think I'm finally learning my lesson about promising production schedules I'm not certain I can meet.

Mysterioso

I guess news it is still being considered is better than no news. Looking forward to it.

Max_Writer

If you want a definitive old west book, look no further than Aces & Eights from Kenzer and company (http://www.kenzerco.com). The softback book is out as well. This is a very detailed and complete realistic wild west setting with an alternative history. It's at least a great resource for any campaign set in the 1860s. Some of the weapons are slightly different from history (there's that alternate history), but it's a great game.

HomoLupusDomesticus
vonfinkelstien said:
Has anyone looked at Coyote Trail?

I own the expanded core rulebook. Very useful indeed!

FriendOfMrGreen

I ran a little thing called "Bad Night In Walking Snake Canyon", a few years ago at Genericon at Rensselaer Polytech. A gang of outlaws, hired by a disguised serpentman to steal a [Mcguffin], find their boss dead at the rendezvous at Walking Snake Canyon. Things go downhill from there.

jaysun81
Stannex said:
Deep In The Heart of Texas will be a 32-page adventure using the core CoC rules (with a few minor tweaks) and present a tale of the Mythos on the lone prairie ... on Christmas Eve. Pre-generated characters will be included, which is kinda important since the rules for generating your own won't be out until Pagan's release sometime in (hopefully early) 2009.

Any news on this?

Story

Bear with me on this tangent, but TRUE GRIT is in theaters now. The actress who plays the 40 year old Mattie is Elizabeth Marvel.

http://images.nymag.com/images/2/daily/2010/03/20100309_marvel21q_250x255.jpg

I call your attention to this comment : Who's your favorite New Yorker, living or dead, real or fictional?

My son, and a tie between E.A. Poe and H.P. Lovecraft.

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2010/03/elizabeth_marvel_has_balls.html

I think we need to see her in more Mythos-oriented movies.

Cole

My much anticipated (well, by me) Lovecraft meets Deadwood campaign starts next month. Handpicked an all-star group of players and am quite psyched about taking a run at this.

LordKrieg
My much anticipated (well, by me) Lovecraft meets Deadwood campaign starts next month. Handpicked an all-star group of players and am quite psyched about taking a run at this.

How is your campain going? We are coming up on my third session and both the players and I both are starting to get the hang of what I am calling the Dark Sagas...

HomoLupusDomesticus

How did you pick the exact time and place your scenarios take place in?

Cole

Lord Krieg,

Things are going very well. Our band of investigators are well-conceived, multifaceted characters and our players are a dream team of creative roleplayers with enthusiasm and a great sense of fun.

Our team is meddling in affairs of powerful crooks and Mythos fringes along the Mississippi River between Memphis and New Orleans. This is a campaign, and i will let them steer when and where they want to take things. They are likely to trek to Southwestern deserts at some point.

Tell us more about your campaign, please.

Homo,

1877 gave me the right amount of separation from the American Civil War and afforded players access to some desired technology and infrastructure that I wanted.

I have scenario ideas that are easily adapted to geography. The Mississippi evokes gamblers, swindlers, commerce, Twain's stories, dark bayous of the delta, and is the rubicon to the West. Seemed a delightful place to start.

AcesandEights

I don't think I saw anyone recommend Aces High for its BRP goodness. It's pretty well done, but I believe it's currently only available in PDF.

HomoLupusDomesticus
Cole said:
(...)Homo,

1877 gave me the right amount of separation from the American Civil War and afforded players access to some desired technology and infrastructure that I wanted.

I have scenario ideas that are easily adapted to geography. The Mississippi evokes gamblers, swindlers, commerce, Twain's stories, dark bayous of the delta, and is the rubicon to the West. Seemed a delightful place to start.

I had been thinking 1876 myself, as suggested in the Shady Gulch setting included in Coyote Trail. But from what I read - this stuff is not part of the ordinary history curiculum over here so I am almost new to western lore apart from what I've seen in films and am still in data gathering phase - certain western tropes were by then already becoming obsolete, such as fur trading mountain men and indians not living on reservations.

Exactly what technology are you referring to?

Cole

One of my favorite things about the Western setting is the way that social and technological "progress" and modernization are constantly challenging frontier spirits. The juxtaposition of rugged pioneer culture with out-of-place refinement, threats of social/political evolution, and technological innovation makes for an exciting and unsettling setting. It's a very common theme in fictional Westerns, Deadwood (set in 1870s Dakota) is one example.

Technologically, I wanted my players to have access to signature firearms like the Colt Peacemaker. I love cap and ball, black powder pistols, too . . . but I wanted them to also have access to certain guns they associate with the West. In addition, dynamite, the railroad and telegraph networks, printing presses, etc.

HomoLupusDomesticus

I was sort of following the same lines of reasoning, though I also like the strong sense of isolation conveyed in two favourite western movies of mine that are set in the 1850s/late 1840s, just after the Mexican-American War, Jeremiah Johnson (1972) and Ravenous (1999).

Cole

Those are great films. The 1840s - 1850s are a great time to set a campaign, but I could choose only one for this campaign. Even in 1877, I'm not too worried about things being isolated enough. If Arkham Country in New England in 1920s allows for rural and remote small town isolation . . . the vast and less developed West 50 years earlier is well suited for Mythos adventures.

KRoss
I was sort of following the same lines of reasoning, though I also like the strong sense of isolation conveyed in two favourite western movies of mine that are set in the 1850s/late 1840s, just after the Mexican-American War, Jeremiah Johnson (1972) and Ravenous (1999).

I just watched a favorite of mine that also very successfully plays up the isolation of the west, and the deleterious effects it can have on the human mind: Sam Shepard's Silent Tongue. River Phoenix plays a young man driven mad with grief over the death of his Indian wife, refusing to leave her dessicated body. The woman's ghost haunts Phoenix (and others), desperately trying to make him abandon her corpse, which ties her spirit to this world. Richard Harris plays the man's distraught father, trying to help his son. Alan Bates plays the man who sold his Indian daughter to be Phoenix's wife, and is in danger of losing his other daughter as well. (Yes, most of the leads in this film have since died.) There's a great travelling medicine show ("Old jawbone! Old jawbone on the alm's-house wall!") and some damn creepy moments with the angry ghost. That said, it's a slow moving film, but most of the principals are either mad or going mad. Recommended.

KAR

desolation angel

HomoLupusDomesticus

I'll check that one out. Any idea in which period that film is set?

Perhaps a separate recommendation thread would be appropriate. ;)

LordKrieg
Cole said:

Lord Krieg,

Tell us more about your campaign, please.

It would be my pleasure. Our campaign started in 1883 in town I created call Ringo, located on Turkey Creek, not fare from where Johnny Ringo met his untimely demise. The group is fairly new to COC and is learning as they go. I have pulled some elements from Aces High, such as Animal totems.

The team is currently on the trail of a book. All of them are distant relations and this book is said to be worth a lot of money, and is their inheritance. So far they have been double crossed by a smooth talking lawyer. Upon searching their relative's home they obtained an ancient statue along with a name of a professor that was interested in buying it. They have met Zombies, had strange visions, and have met the spirit of "Horse can not be Tamed", and have been blessed with animal totems.

Right now they are in Tombstone, and are starting to wonder if one of the famous families of the area might have mythos connections.

In a nutshell.

Cole

Sounds like you and your group are having a good time. That family wouldn't be the Earps, Clantons, or McLaury's by any chance? Keep us in the loop.

Did you play much traditionally set ('20s or modern) CoC before your Western campaign? In my planning stages I worried about challenges that would come from transitioning time periods from our comfortable 1920s era to the Old West. In play, it has been a surprisingly easy adjustment for my players and I. Wonder if others have found the same to be true.

LordKrieg
Sounds like you and your group are having a good time. That family wouldn't be the Earps, Clantons, or McLaury's by any chance? Keep us in the loop.

Did you play much traditionally set ('20s or modern) CoC before your Western campaign? In my planning stages I worried about challenges that would come from transitioning time periods from our comfortable 1920s era to the Old West. In play, it has been a surprisingly easy adjustment for my players and I. Wonder if others have found the same to be true.

The family is the Clantons. They just met John "Doc" Holiday, who has as small part to play but the session came to an end just after they met him.

Only one of the players played in the 1920's, the rest it is their first exposure to COC.

I will keep you posted.

Cole

To satisfy my curiosity, were your new players drawn to your game primarily because it was a Western, because they wanted to try CoC or was it a more even blend of both?

For me, I found a pocket of dedicated and urbane Cthulhu players burning to play in the Old West. Similarly, in Philadelphia (a very non-Western place culturally and geographically), i kept seeing LFG posts of people who listed Lovecraft and Western games as ones they'd like to play.

One of my Lovecraft newbies is listening to classic HPL mp3s and growing a Western moustache for the game. It's really been a nice chocolate and peanut butter thing.

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this