Sign in to follow this  
Tilford_kage1985

Most Cthulhu Metal Band?

Tilford_kage1985

Really I think that Black Dahlia Murder are a contender. The song "Thy Horror Cosmic" is obviously about the Big C, and the artwork for that CD (Unhallowed) is underwater and has quite a few tentacles in it.

My main question is: What metal bands have the biggest obvious connection to the Mythos?

Sam

I've not heard Black Dahlia Muder (although the James Elroy book is excellent) but I know Metallica have a song called Call of Ktulu or something similar. I think it's an early instrumental inspired by the story.

Not really into heavy metal but The Fall's (long running cult Manchester group) main man Mark E Smith uses a LOT of mythos references in his lyrics. They have a song where one of the lines sung is "Yog-Sothoth rape me lord!". Their song 'Jawbone and the Air Rifle' has a narrative set in a graveyard and references to slime and bones and such. They're worth listening to. When I saw them in Sheffield about a year ago, Smith recited a passage from 'The Horror in Clay' section of TCoC before they started.

I think the dark horror of HPL's writing lends itself really well to music. I play in a band and we have a song called 'The King in Yellow' and one called 'Mountains of Madness' that are both directly related to the Mythos.

(Despite our best efforts, no-one has gone insane listening to 'The King in Yellow.... yet).

Tilford_kage1985
(Despite our best efforts, no-one has gone insane listening to 'The King in Yellow.... yet).

Don't give up....good things come to those who wait!

Anywho, I've never actually heard "The Call of Ktulu" but I have heard of it. Everytime I try to listen to it I get interrupted.....

Mr_Lin
I've not heard Black Dahlia Muder (although the James Elroy book is excellent) but I know Metallica have a song called Call of Ktulu or something similar. I think it's an early instrumental inspired by the story.

Originally titled "When Hell Freezes Over" but changed at the behest of the late Cliff Burton whom I believe was an HPL aficionado. See also "The Thing That Should Not Be" and "Sanitarium" from Master of Puppets.

I'm pretty sure this sort of thing has been discussed before now.

The Fall: Not a big fan, but Mark E Smith is always entertaining e.g. when he appeared on the vinyl justice segment of The Adam and Joe Show.

Kadath

The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets - I really like everything I have listened to.

As well as the Call of Ktulu, Metallica also have a song called The Thing That Should Not Be

Here are the lyrics:-

Messenger of fear in sight

Dark deception kills the light

Hybrid children watch the sea

Pray for father, roaming free

Fearless wretch

Insanity

He watches

Lurking beneath the sea

Great old one

Forbidden site

He searches

Hunter of the shadows is rising

Immortal

In madness you dwell

Crawling chaos, underground

Cult has summoned, twisted sound

Out from ruins once possessed

Fallen city, living death

Fearless wretch

Insanity

He watches

Lurking beneath the sea

Timeless sleep

Has been upset

He awakens

Immortal

In madness you dwell

Not dead which eternal lie

Stranger eons death may die

Drain you of your sanity

Face the thing that should not be

Fearless wretch

Insanity

He watches

Lurking beneath the sea

Great old one

Forbidden site

He searches

Immortal

In madness you dwell.

Marilyn Manson has some awsome Cthulhu tattooes as well I think...

Kadath

ginja
Axis of Perdition are pretty lovecraftian. With a lot of Silent Hill thrown into the mix. On one of the albums of theirs (the one I own) there is a reading from a Steven King mythos story.

Dr_Locrian

HP Lovecraft is right up there with JRR Tolkien as far as Writers That Have Most Influenced Metal Bands. As you can tell from my little metal Cthulhu avatar, I'm a big metal fan.

Some examples: there's a very interesting series of limited 3" CD-R's being put out by a label called God Is Myth where a bunch of cool metal bands record Lovecraft themed songs. The label site:

http://www.god-is-myth.com/13.html

They're all pretty cool bands in their own right, especially Caina, who sound like 4AD acts like This Mortal Coil mixed with a dash of shoegaze.

And Electric Wizard's newest disc has a song called Dunwich, too. It rocks!

:twisted:

YallOfCthulhu

Wham. :twisted:

100_SAN_LOSS

I've always had a soft spot for Samhain's "He-Who-Can-Not-Be-Named" ... seems pretty Lovecraftian to me.

I remember first hearing Metallica's "The Thing That Should Not Be" back in the 80s on Z-Rock (old metal radio station) ... I listened to the music and thought it would make a cool Mythos score. Then I started listening to the lyrics and the full weight of it kicked me in the head ... especially the Arab's famous couplet.

Blaggard

Nile are partially influenced by Lovecraft. Those songs that aren't have ancient Egyptian/Mesopotamian themes running through them.

http://www.nile-catacombs.net/

Blaggard

I can't resist adding Ozric Tentacles to the list as it's such a mythosistic (is that a word?) name .They're more a fusion band than metal and ,although the strangeness of their track titles suggest a mythos influence it's more likely down to herbs and chemicals (ahem). Great band though, recommended. :)

http://www.ozrics.com/

YallOfCthulhu
I can't resist adding Ozric Tentacles to the list as it's such a mythosistic (is that a word?) name .They're more a fusion band than metal and ,although the strangeness of their track titles suggest a mythos influence it's more likely down to herbs and chemicals (ahem). Great band though, recommended. :)

http://www.ozrics.com/

I used to dig them when they first popped on the scene.

I still say Wham.

"Wake Me Up Before You Mi-Go" :twisted:

FunGuyfromYuggoth

The Jonas Bros.!

YallOfCthulhu
The Jonas Bros.!

/Shudder 8O

Mr_Lin

Black Sabbath. Their first LP has a song titled "Behind* the Wall of Sleep" and their trademark monolithic doom strikes me as rather Lovecraftian...the sound of Cthulhu turning over in his crypt.

*I know it should be "Beyond", but what do you expect from a bunch of drug addled Brummie pipefitters?

ninthcouncil
Not really into heavy metal but The Fall's (long running cult Manchester group) main man Mark E Smith uses a LOT of mythos references in his lyrics. They have a song where one of the lines sung is "Yog-Sothoth rape me lord!". Their song 'Jawbone and the Air Rifle' has a narrative set in a graveyard and references to slime and bones and such. They're worth listening to. When I saw them in Sheffield about a year ago, Smith recited a passage from 'The Horror in Clay' section of TCoC before they started.

The Fall are a big favourite of mine, before I even knew who HPL was.

I think the dark horror of HPL's writing lends itself really well to music. I play in a band and we have a song called 'The King in Yellow' and one called 'Mountains of Madness' that are both directly related to the Mythos.

I also have form in this regard. A decade or so back I was bass player (and main writer, though not always lyricist) in a band - not heavy metal, though. Though we had a Lovecraftian name (The Charles Dexter Ward Experience) there was only the one song with any explicit mythos content - "Space Muck", which referred to the Big C. himself. Funnily enough, it was the most "metal" of all our songs. :wink:

Guest squashua
My main question is: What metal bands have the biggest obvious connection to the Mythos?

Dethklok, even if it is fictional, not considering the fact that Brendan Small and his band does do tours and concerts as said band.

Barring that, I choose ABBA for obvious reasons.

coffeedemon

Darkest of the Hillside Thickets for sure! In their early concert days they would dress up in giant squid costumes and chant "yog-sothoth", among other things. I'm fairly certain these guys played CoC, and one of them still organizes RPG events here in Vancouver.

I don't believe any band could be more overtly mythos-related that the Thickets. Granted, it's more 90's grunge-y than metal, but whatever.

How can you go wrong with songs like:

One-Gilled Girl

Frogstar

Colour Me Green

Yig Snake Daddy

Their latest album is called "The Shadow out of Tim" :)

http://www.thickets.net/

(I learned about this band at the exact same time as I started reading Lovecraft, so the two go hand-in-hand for me.)

Crakkerjakk

I always thought of GWAR as owing homage to pulp-style Cthulhu.

TheDarkOne

The two most lovecraftian bands i listen to would be Therion and Nehëmah.

Therion hasn't very many Lovecraft themed songs and to be honest i think they are based on the original myths and not Lovecraft version of them. Still the tracks Dagon and Lemuria always make me think of Lovecraft.

Nehëmahs album Requiem Tenebrae does at least have song titels that sonds very lovecraftian, but since i don't have the lyrics its a bit hard to tell how Lovecraft based the songs are.

Still i doubt it is just a coincidence with titels like Creeping Chaos, The Great Old Ones, Dead But Dreaming In The Eternal Icy Waste and The Elder Gods Awakening

Badger
The Jonas Bros.!

You're fired.

YallOfCthulhu
Therion hasn't very many Lovecraft themed songs and to be honest i think they are based on the original myths and not Lovecraft version of them. Still the tracks Dagon and Lemuria always make me think of Lovecraft.

The original myths? Do you mean Greek mythology and the like? With the titles you mentioned it appears that they would be specifically concerned with the Mythos.

Sacha

Fields of the Nephilim have a fantastic track, 'Last Exit For The Lost', which references the Big C.

However, my vote would have to be for the Thickets.

Cheers,

Sacha

BradH

Cradle of Filth have made several Lovecraftian references, including a song entitled "Cthulhu Dawn", and a compilation album called "Lovecraft & Witch Hearts".

Bal-Sagoth are exceptionally Mythos based, also drawing heavily from Hyperboria.

Kadath
Darkest of the Hillside Thickets for sure! In their early concert days they would dress up in giant squid costumes and chant "yog-sothoth", among other things. I'm fairly certain these guys played CoC, and one of them still organizes RPG events here in Vancouver.

I don't believe any band could be more overtly mythos-related that the Thickets. Granted, it's more 90's grunge-y than metal, but whatever.

How can you go wrong with songs like:

One-Gilled Girl

Frogstar

Colour Me Green

Yig Snake Daddy

Their latest album is called "The Shadow out of Tim" :)

http://www.thickets.net/

(I learned about this band at the exact same time as I started reading Lovecraft, so the two go hand-in-hand for me.)

I agree - I like everything I have heard of the Thickets stuff - i must get all their CDs. Would love to see them live dressed as squids though !!

Kadath

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this