Sign in to follow this  
PoC

Paul of Cthulhu's 'Away' Thread

PoC

Had a great week in France with Helen (at a friend's house) . Over a week without internet (but did not miss it). Came back to some 2581 emails and other communications, so please excuse any delay in reply while I catch up. :)

Paul

Newbunkle

Yeah, sorry about all those messages.

PoC

Tomorrow we're off to Egypt for a week. 3D camera in hand, plus various other recording devices. :)

See everyone back here in a week or so hopefully!

Paul

jabonko

Have fun and travel safely. Remember not to step rhythmically on the shifting sands, lest the worms-- oh wait, no that's on Arrakis.

sapper-joe

Have fun!

Don't do anything that I would do in front of the Pyramids! :wink:

Sapper Joe

Thom_Serveaux

Have fun Paul and Helen. Remember no matter how much Sutehk asks, don't let him out of his pyramid! :D

JeffOkamoto
Have fun Paul and Helen. Remember no matter how much Sutehk asks, don't let him out of his pyramid! :D

As long as the controls on Paul's 3-D camera are isomorphic, they should be safe.

Oh, and remember, whichever button the mummy points to, it's always the OTHER BUTTON.

PoC

... but he seemed such a reasonable chap! Omar Shakti spoke very highly of him. :D

I thought you might like to see a few photos (and a very short video) from our trip. Click on the images to see 3D versions, and if you use the Firefox browser, you can use the Schillr plugin to see it in a variety of 3D formats.

egypt-2009-01.jpg

We leave a rainy Manchester on a Thursday morning. Why it's almost like Bradford!

egypt-2009-02.jpg

Flying over the Alps.

egypt-2009-03.jpg

Aboard the ship in Egypt.

egypt-2009-04.jpg

Helen at the foot of the Great Pyramid, with an offprint of Lovecraft's Under the Pyramids tale.

egypt-2009-05.jpg

Looking up the Great Pyramid.

egypt-2009-06.jpg

A view over to the 2nd pyramid (Kephren), the outer casing still intact near the apex.

egypt-2009-07.jpg

Now we know the true nature of the Sphinx!

egypt-2009-08.jpg

One of the Colossi of Memnon. A tourist attraction since Roman times (and it also used to whistle).

egypt-2009-09.jpg

A familiar view to Indiana Jones fans.

egypt-2009-10.jpg

The Treasury at Petra. Grails available at very reasonable prices.

Also, thanks to the new camera (and all the lovely people who made it possible), a very short 3D test video shot at Petra. This is a YouTube video as YouTube recently implemented some very handy features for displaying 3D video.

While standing beneath the Great Pyramid I read out the names of everyone who contributed to the Lovecraft in Egypt fundraiser, and while at the Sphinx I read aloud from Lovecraft's tale. :)

Add to that, the fact we went inside the 2nd Pyramid (where we saw Belzoni's graffiti from 1818) and later went into Tutankhamun's tomb. We had a great trip. (I haven't even begun on the Luxor & Karnak material yet)!

Paul

tlynch999

Glad you got back safe...even if I'm beside myself with jealousy. :)

MikeC

At least Zahi Hawass didn't get mad at you, like he did with Beyonce....

It looks like it was a smashing time.

MikeC

sapper-joe

Looks like you had a good time!

Hafwit

Beautiful pictures. :) I'm glad you had a good time.

LadyM

I bet that trip was real exciting, and I imagine the reading beneath the sphinx was inspiring. I recognized the view from Indiana Jones . Thanks for the sneak peak.

LadyM

Donnovan_Sunrider

It's good to hear your both back safe and sound. That looks like an amazing journey, thanks for sharing some of it with the whole board. I'm jealous of the folks that were able to donate. :wink:

CAThompson

Wow, looks like you had a great trip. Nice photos and a neat Cthulhu angle.

PoC

Helen & I will be away from Fri. 9th April until Sat. 17th April as we're attending a friend's wedding near Rome.

Ave, Cthulhu Invictus! (though I may get a few odd looks if I shout that out at the wedding...) ;)

Paul

FunGuyfromYuggoth
Helen & I will be away from Fri. 9th April until Sat. 17th April as we're attending a friend's wedding near Rome

But what about the kitties!?! :o

PoC

Without being able to tend the mythosian dampening fields around Innsmouth House, they could rampage across half of Yorkshire by the time we get back. Fortunately another of our friends has bravely agreed to maintain the dampening field while we're away (and the blood sacrifices required are relatively small). ;)

Paul

JeffOkamoto
Helen & I will be away from Fri. 9th April until Sat. 17th April as we're attending a friend's wedding near Rome.

If you see a blue police box, run away.

Pookie

Ave, Cthulhu Invictus! (though I may get a few odd looks if I shout that out at the wedding...) ;)

Paul

Priest: "Now if any of you present have reason to believe that these two may not conjoined in marriage, speak your mind now."

Paul: "Ave Cthulhu!!!"

MJ12

Hi Everyone,

I'm logged in (briefly) using my travelling account as I'm at a non-secure access point in a packed Net Cafe in Rome.

As you may have seen from my Twitter updates ( http://twitter.com/YSDC ) Helen & I are stuck in Rome due to the ash cloud from the Icelandic volcano. Two sets of our return flights have already been cancelled and we currently have no idea how or when we will get back, though we suspect it will be several more days yet.

Apologies to anyone who is expecting something from me at the moment. My access is virtually non-existent, but as soon as I get back I will deal with any outstanding issues. In the meantime, the other Admins & Mods may be able to help. :)

Thanks for your patience and understanding, and here's hoping we manage to wend our way back soon!

Paul

Newbunkle

Oh dear!

Donnovan_Sunrider

Take care of yourselves guys. Ya might as well enjoy the time while you're stuck over there.

Blaggard

I wonder if Paul has recorded a commentary on his and Helens adventures getting back to Blighty. I can't imagine him going anywhere without some sort of recording device! :wink:

FunGuyfromYuggoth

Welcome back! I'm sure the cross-country trip through the Continent was not exactly what you and Helen had in mind. Now you must appease your cats!