Sign in to follow this  
thewordwasaphex

Anchorhead - Lovecraftian Text Adventure

thewordwasaphex

I'm stuck! Help!

It's day two - I've just got the golden locket (to go with the silver one and the amulet). I have the flute, the puzzlebox (which i can't open), the can of fish oil, the broom, the letter opener, the journal, the newspaper, matches, the torch and my umbrella. What do I do now?

coffeedemon

It's day 12567 for me.

I have a laptop, an empty instant noodles bowl, an empty cup of coffee, a pen, some paper, and a wallet containing approx. $80 Canadian.

I'm currently in my computer room.

What the heck do I do now?

:wink:

MechSpike

You have to enter the kitchen and refill the coffee cup. Then empty the wallet and place the paper inside. Hide the money. Then unscrew the pen and empty the ink into the coffee cup. Turn the laptop on, and play dead when the bookie comes back into the room.

Oh wait, you were joking...

PoC

- a decade or so on from the previous post, Anchorhead continues...

@yockenthwaite highlighted this on Twitter:

1998 text adventure classic Anchorhead is an uncanny addition to 2018's lineup

An expanded and illustrated re-release some 20 years on. Available on Steam and Itch (c. $10 USD).

To mark the twentieth anniversary of its initial publication, Anchorhead is now available in a special Illustrated Edition. Every aspect of the game has been rebuilt and redesigned from the ground up:

• The code has been rewritten in Inform 7 and compiled to the glulx format, allowing far more detail and interactivity than before.
  • The prose has been revised and polished to reflect 20 years of accumulated writing experience.
  • Additional puzzles, scenes, and background information to explore.
  • Gameplay is enhanced with over 50 gorgeous illustrations by Carlos Cara Àlvarez.

anchorhead-text-adventure-20-years-on-illustration.jpg

yockenthwaite

Thanks for posting the info in this thread Paul!

You know I've never played Anchorhead properly. I started it, but had to do something else at the time, and never came back to it.

I really should give it a go though, not least because I'm writing my own Lovecraftian text adventure at the moment, albeit much shorter.

I'll probably play the original version though, not least because I can play it on my iPad. It's just that bit more convenient for me than the new desktop release.

Will be interested to see how others fare with the new one though.

Taavi

Cool! I enjoyed the first one (albeit, I had to look up the answer to the second-last puzzle) and it would be great to give it another run through.

PoC

Mike has also produced some limited edition physical props ("feelies") to go with the re-released game:

http://anchorhead-game.com/props/

anchorhead-map-prop.jpg

anchorhead-map-prop.jpg

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this