Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shalvayez

Top 5 Worst games!

Thorulfr

GW is about the only thing I'd run with GURPS

Not even Autoduel?

(I have a GW campaign background that I've been poking at for over 8 years...one of these decades I'll actually get around to running it...)

Guest squashua
I really wanted to play a good superhero game, but finally gave up.

So did I. I see you tried everything except MEGS / DC Heroes.

Back when I was looking for a proper super-hero RPG, I had many of the same complaints you are making. And someone suggested Mayfair's DC Heroes RPG (*NOT* WEG D6 DC Universe RPG).

See if you can hunt down the white book / Third Edition or "Blood of Heroes: Special Edition". You can and should ignore the Blood of Heroes setting which, while vastly improved over the original printing for Special Edition, is still easily done by cutting the book in half.

The mechanics for the system (known unofficially as MEGS / Mayfair's Exponential Gaming System) have been touted as one of the more elegant rules sets.

Basically, the system is like a less complex Champions/HERO, but with all the crunch.

Guest squashua
The absolute worst RPG rules that I've ever seen in my life: Superhero 2044.

That reminds me. "Super Squadron", an Australian-published super-hero RPG.

Gah, I used to have some horrible imagery from that book somewhere, but it's gone now.

Telpierion

For those searching for a different sort of super hero RPG, check out Capes and With Great Power.

johnmcfloss

Ooh, I've heard good things about With Great Power...

thothkins

One Superhero game I've not seen mentioned is Mayfair's Underground.

A gritty, urban take on superhuman war veterans returning to a world that treats them as third class citizens.

The book is just superbly designed, with lots of black humour mixed in with post traumatic stress disorders and social issues.

I had loads of fun with it & it used MEGS as well.

Guest squashua
One Superhero game I've not seen mentioned is Mayfair's Underground.

It's because we're talking about WORST GAMES.

Plus, the other poster wanted to know about a good generic supers; Underground, while an amazing setting, doesn't cover all bases in that vein.

Full_Metal_Wolf
Let's rate the worst games you've played/read. Let's avoid Racial Holy War and F.A.T.A.L., because they're universally considered sh**, and really not being played by anybody.

There's a GAME called Racial Holy War? Tell me that's not what it sounds like... I don't want to search for it for obvious reasons!

Well, my curious mind has led me to find out that it is exactly what it sounds like. Couldn't find it online anywhere, thankfully.

thothkins
It's because we're talking about WORST GAMES.

Plus, the other poster wanted to know about a good generic supers; Underground, while an amazing setting, doesn't cover all bases in that vein.

I think it had kind of segued into some general Superhero game stuff too really. Terribly sorry it didn't meet your thread criteria :-)

I'm not sure it doesn't cover a lot of generic supers stuff either. You could strip away as little or as much of the setting as you liked then utilise the very generic DCU rules to create as much comic book or pulp action as you wanted.

It was a lot less clunky than Champions and Heroes unlimited. It also had a better feel than MSH and was a pretty accessible product due to the sleek design.

I even seem to remember masks and costumes, but that could have been because a) said people were psychotic characters living out their delusional origins in public or B) we were running an Underground/ Marshall Law crossover.

sufirjp

Just wanted to pop in and say "Capes" is a great game based on some really unique mechanics. Very, very cool. The website (linked above) also has a great demo.

Eero
It's like the Timecube of RPGs.

Aargh! You and Squashua are evil!

You just took away the precious little that was left of my sanity. Those sites were insane! 8O

The worst game... :? there are so many, but I believe there is only one Miekka ja Magia.

miekkajamagia1.jpg

It was the first Finnish roleplaying game in the time when roleplaying games were a new thing in Finland and nobody really knew anything about gamedesign. It is a pioneering work but so badly done that one can not play it without weeping. But it was great for Finnish rpg scene that someone took the first steps.

Narjhan

3 words: Price of Freedom.

Paranoia was a real delight, cynical, funny, well written, etc. Well, Price of Freedom was the total opposite. I never understood how the guys who gave us the Orwell meet the Monthy Python Paranoia could come with such an awful product.

Guest squashua

Paranoia was a real delight, cynical, funny, well written, etc. Well, Price of Freedom was the total opposite. I never understood how the guys who gave us the Orwell meet the Monthy Python Paranoia could come with such an awful product.

The video game industry refers to this sort of product as "shovelware".

ZodiaK
Let's rate the worst games you've played/read. Let's avoid Racial Holy War and F.A.T.A.L., because they're universally considered sh**, and really not being played by anybody.

There's a GAME called Racial Holy War? Tell me that's not what it sounds like... I don't want to search for it for obvious reasons!

Well, my curious mind has led me to find out that it is exactly what it sounds like. Couldn't find it online anywhere, thankfully.

I did google it, and i did find an onlineversion of the first edition. (I wonder if there is really a second one).

It looks so bad that you might hope it is a parody, but sadly it isn't. The Reverend who wrote it is a real christian fundamentalist and obviously very serious about his racial crap. Although he tries to abuse the rpg as media for his fundamentalistic ways, I wonder if anyone really plays that game. I can't imagine religious fanatics sitting with dice and paper around the gametable instead of bullying helpless people or committing other "real" crimes, neither can I imagine roleplayers playing such a junk.

quote:

"The primary purpose of Racial Holy War is to provide entertainment to those loyal to the White Race. It as an experience where our dedicated White Warriors can do like many of us want to--slaughter the foul enemies of our people who are destroying our race. I therefore hope that it does allow our comrades to crush our enemies."

and:

"Latrinos are lazy and criminal vermin who waste valuable air on Earth, that should be reserved for Nature�s Finest--the White Race. Due to their history of illegal immigration, they are adept at crossing borders and sneaking around. Therefore their special attack is known as Stealth. This skill, if successful, allows the latrino to attack first as part of the special attack." etc.

Usually, we should not mock about fan-written stuff, certainly not about free stuff. But this one perverts the idea of rpg.

Mr_Lin

Usually, we should not mock about fan-written stuff, certainly not about free stuff. But this one perverts the idea of rpg.

Plus it's sub-literate, which hardly makes it an advert for any kind of racial superiority on the part of the writer(s). I take it "Latrino" is an obvious racial slur but "It as an experience where our dedicated White Warriors can do like many of us want to" is obviously the product of someone who didn't pay attention in English class. :roll:

Evans

Wikipedia has an entry on Racial Holywar which is quite entertaining. May I ask what this F.A.T.AL game is which Shalvayez mentioned as being allmost as bad.

Mr_Lin
Wikipedia has an entry on Racial Holywar which is quite entertaining. May I ask what this F.A.T.AL game is which Shalvayez mentioned as being allmost as bad.

I conscious of the original poster's wish about not going into detail but... this should tell you all you could ever want to know.

Evans

No offense to said people but that just sounds like a very long MSN Messenger conversation.

Mr_Lin
No offense to said people but that just sounds like a very long MSN Messenger conversation.

Possibly that's what it is, although it does get to the point eventually. As to whether it's worth your while - I'm not sure. You could probably scroll half way down to where they get on with real business of giving the game a right good shoeing, and chances are you wouldn't have missed too much.

shalvayez

Imagine a 900 page books filled with anal circumference, anal damage, and anal rape tables, and you have F.A.T.A.L.

Guest squashua
Imagine a 900 page books filled with anal circumference, anal damage, and anal rape tables, and you have F.A.T.A.L.

Does the setting take place on Uranus?

:D

rylehNC

I really can't put down an rpg the way that some others have in this thread, owing to a combination of luck and good friends. But I have tried to understand the mechanics behind Hidden Invasion and never have. I think it's the only game that I could call "unplayable." That and its competition in the UFO/Conspiracy genre make it a hard sell.

Zaster

This thread puts me in mind of a game called Cyberspace, by a company called Iron Crown. I never actually played it, since the rules were as baffling and arcane as a treatise on Spinplasmonics. Some entertainment value did reside in reading through the death and dismemberment tables (of which there were many, each based on a D100 if I recall).

North73

Funnily enough, I remember the ads in White Dwarf as a teen, but even then was savvy enough to imagine it was appalling flag waving paranoid balls.

I'd like to play it though. Funny how these games come back to you and you regret having not played them, no matter how dreadful they look!

:?