Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shalvayez

Top 5 Worst games!

shalvayez

Let's rate the worst games you've played/read. Let's avoid Racial Holy War and F.A.T.A.L., because they're universally considered ****, and really not being played by anybody.

Full_Metal_Wolf

I haven't really played any "bad" RPGs. I disliked the TSG Marvel RPG when I first read it, but now I love it.

trevlix

I suggest that this topic tread lightly. Others have tried this and the thread has gotten shut down.

From the Site Guidelines:

'Positive' topics are the most welcome. A topic where the specific object is to denigrate can lead to problems. Often initial constructive criticism begins pleasantly, but all too often deteriorates into a repository of angry opinions. In other words, topics such as What is your favourite scenario? is a more pleasant (and often more effective) discussion than What is the worst scenario of all time?

coffeedemon

The only game I don't think I could GM is RIFTS. The idea that humans have SDC's, but everything else has MDCs (one MDC= 100 SDC), really limits the realism of combat.

Like, a human can only get into combat if they're in crazy futuristic body armour.

For some reason, my gaming group could never figure out Shadowrun. I play ultra-complicated strategic boardgames with hundreds of pages of rules, but I just COULD NOT figure out the Shadowrun magic system. Maybe we had a really early version of the rulebook or something?

shalvayez

I don't think it's the worst by any means, but Exalted is about the same for me. I do not think White Wolf's system fits the genre so well.

As far as reading goes I've been thoroughly unimpressed by...

1) non-Monte Cook D&D books

2) Dawnforge

3) Blood Of Heroes ( C'mon, Anarchy Man?)

4) Amber (shoot me now, this will be a highly unpopular opinion, given Erick Wujcik's condition)

5) Champions

I've left off Rifts, as my opinions of Rifts on rpgnet should be well known.

Tigger_MK4

5) Champions

Hero system ? Really ? I'd actually list that as my second favourite - given a group of mature players that is.

It does suffer from game bunnies stretching the rules, but I'm actually quite a fan of this as I can run any genre with one rulebook here...none of your gurps "buy more books" stuff.

I'd be interested in hearing your reasoning....or are you just not a fan of superheroes ?

shalvayez

Oh, I love the Superheroes genre, I just have yet to see it done well as an RPG short of TSR's Marvel and to a much lesser extent, GURPS Supers.

I guess, anytime I've made a character for Hero, it's taken no less than 5-6 hours, and by the time I was done with it, I thought, "Well,****, where's my degree, now?"

Cousteau

Rather pretentious.

shalvayez

Sorry if I have offended. Thought it'd be fairly humorous to see what people thought was distasteful in different systems.

sglancy12

What the heck is that? It reads like some paranoid schitzophrenic's diary: run on sentences, wild leaps of logic, references to past events crammed on top of each other until the entire paragraph collapses under the weight...

It's like Ted Kazinski's Luddite Manifesto. Or the stuff in all those notebooks in the movie Seven.

On the plus side, it would make excellent material for the players to discover in some mad-man's apartment during a CoC game.

A42
On the plus side, it would make excellent material for the players to discover in some mad-man's apartment during a CoC game.

Yeah, about that. I need to know the SAN loss for skimming it, because I just failed my roll.

Badger

It's like the Timecube of RPGs.

Zabraxus
It's like the Timecube of RPGs.

8O :?:

Where did this "Gene Ray" get his doctorate, I wonder? Also, how successful was he on patenting the centre of the universe... I haven't heard anything official on that yet. Although, his ramblings could be useful for a cultist's notes on "angles that look acute but act obtuse" what with their four-corner days and all...

Tigger_MK4
Oh, I love the Superheroes genre, I just have yet to see it done well as an RPG short of TSR's Marvel and to a much lesser extent, GURPS Supers.

I guess, anytime I've made a character for Hero, it's taken no less than 5-6 hours, and by the time I was done with it, I thought, "Well,sh**, where's my degree, now?"

Gurps supers -hmm. TSR Marvel. Double Hmm, did you see the character gen rules for that?. In fact TSRs Marvel and the more recent Marvel RPG both would end up on my worst 5...which is a shame as I'm quite a fan of the Marvel Universe (with the exception of "one more day"...)

You might well get on better with Golden Heroes (now known as Squadron UK, and available as a free download, how cool is that?) , which is an excellent RPG, and has a really nice set of campaign rules. I ran a very successful campaign for two years using that system.

Hero works very quickly with experience ; I can dash off a character within about 10 minutes - most importantly without a rulebook of any kind.

The problem with Hero is that it does require a slightly different mindset - and it helps to have someone who knows the system to mentor you at first - but once you get the hang of the fact that ALL powers are either 5 ,10 or 15 points it becomes alot easier... unlike Gurps (and Torg) all the powers work using the same 3d6 attack/defence mechanic.

Mr_Lin

What the heck is that? It reads like some paranoid schitzophrenic's diary.

I gather the author does have some sort of mental health difficulty. I've seen his game mentioned in the same context as FATAL and Racial Holy War i.e. it's really bad, but the general consensus seems to be it's nowhere near as offensive, merely incomprehensible, and there's a reason for that.

Personal worst game? That I've played: D20. An object lesson in how to take a fairly simple system and bugger it up with lots of feats, abilities and special cases. WHFRP and MERP are also pretty clunky but I think the game backgrounds transcend their duff mechanics. I've yet to see a D20 background that manages to do the same.

CAThompson

What's interesting here is that most of the "Worst Games Ever" seem to be called out on their rule systems and not on their actural worlds/imagination.

I know there are a few exceptions but those seem to be the legitimately crazy ones.

Mithras

Game setting potential is what I mean, because the Imagination is shackled by lazy repetitions.

http://www.indie-rpgs.com/articles/15/

The Forge collective would look at the rules system for good game/bad game. Hair and groans or does interactivity of the gaming experience mean that there is always some seam of gold to be dug out of any setting, cool rules a bonus? The narrative constraints on a setting or world (i.e. same old Hero's Journey structures or the Seven Basic Plots stuff) mean that it can only last a single session of roleplay before all players wrack their collective heads or consign it to 'unplayable'.

Mr_Lin
(A Herculean feat of the imagination and the novel use of typed |Written English|)

Yes, quite.

You are James Joyce and I claim my free five punt (or Euros as it these days).

PoC
Sorry if I have offended. Thought it'd be fairly humorous to see what people thought was distasteful in different systems.

You've not offended! Trevlix just posted a gentle reminder about such topics. Civil behaviour, a little repsect for the view of others and good humour means they stay open, not closed!

Paul

Guest squashua

What the heck is that? It reads like some paranoid schitzophrenic's diary.

I gather the author does have some sort of mental health difficulty. I've seen his game mentioned in the same context as FATAL and Racial Holy War i.e. it's really bad, but the general consensus seems to be it's nowhere near as offensive, merely incomprehensible, and there's a reason for that.

Before the web got too big and everyone hosted their own forums, we had UseNet. On UseNET you had to poll go get logical sub-forums created. I was the proponent for the creation of rec.games.frp.super-heroes ; a discussion forum for super-hero RPGs.

So one day this guy named C++ (logically from C++ the programming language) just starts posting. And posting. And posting. And he won't stop. And he posts in peoples threads. This randomly generated semi-racist confusing nonsense. And he keeps doing it.

And then he defends it in discussion. And people ask him questions about it in jest to keep him going. And he joins other forums. And even super-hero mailing lists.

Many discussions regarding C++ and how to stop his text vomit took place on various super-hero RPG discussion platforms. Finally, someone collected all his wacky RPG rules rants and made a website.

And in doing so, helped clean up the world's super-hero RPG forums a little bit. :)

StephanieMcAlea
Oh, I love the Superheroes genre, I just have yet to see it done well as an RPG short of TSR's Marvel and to a much lesser extent, GURPS Supers

Godlike. best superhuman game by far. if you dont own it...buy it.

North73

Whilst not dreadful, I'd say I was most disappointed by the first Indiana Jones rpg.

I split by pocket money to buy it in the 80s with a friend (there was another TSR attempt later which may well have been better). It was one those moments where you shake out the box expectantly to see if there's more you've missed - there wasn't. Then we stared at it glumly for a while. It was sparse, to put it kindly..what seemed like 16 pages of fluff..and you could only play preset characters, which means there'd be a paper-rock-scissors battle for the man himself, whilst losers would have to be content with Sallah, Willy Scott or Shortround. We only tried it once, and it's still on the shelf at my Mums. A dark day in my gaming career.. :cry:

sufirjp

Okay, I'll go ahead and try to rouse a defense for Amber Diceless. First, I'll admit that the system, as it stands, has some very serious flaws. These include:

1. The experience system. While I like the idea of "secret" increases, the idea that you can quickly accumulate massive amounts of Bad Stuff w/o realizing it isn't practical.

2. The groupings of normal and advanced "packages" of powers, which doesn't represent the highly variable power/skill sets of the various characters in the books.

3. An unrealistic level of power as represented by the "Amber" rank. The Amberites were not so powerful as to be able to "instantly" whupp anyone in Shadow, and I think Wujcik did exaggerate what they were capable of.

4. Physical contact = physic contact. This seems unsupported in the original material, and a rule I've always ignored. Same goes for "Benedict could totally kick an invisible assassin's ass." Lame.

However, despite these problems, I still feel that there are certain aspects that were very elegant. The attribute auction is genius, in my opinion, and promotes the rivalry between characters that is so integral to Amber. Further, the idea of a diceless system was incredibly innovative, especially when you consider how many years this is before the "Indy" movement of today. Although it does require a remarkably mature GM to be able to handle the system properly, it made combat very, very interesting. Although Amber requires a lot of tweaking, I still think it was a major breakthrough for gaming.

Anyways, not trying to start a flame war, just stating my opinion.