PelgranePress

CoC to ToC Conversions

YunusWesley

Sanatorium Papers #2: 1 point Medicine, Psychology, or Library Use spend.

Patients: files are 1 point Library Use to decipher, free for medical professionals;

Make Psychology or Assess Honesty spends to diagnose patients without reading files.

Arriving at the Island: Sense Trouble, difficulty 6, to realize they're being watched, if keeper wishes.

The Front Door: Sense Trouble 3 to notice Leonard, who attacks with Scuffle 1.

The Living Room, Desk Area: Stability 4 for the corpse of each of the nurses; lose 2 on a failure.

The Laundry: Stability 4 to find Melba the maid; lose 4 on failure.

Core clue: trail of scorch marks on doorway, floor, and stairs.

Allen Harding's room: the trail of scorch marks begins here. 2 point Occult spend to identify the marks as a Gate, with time meditating on it. A Mythos spend should identify it as a Gate and give an indication as to the threat, with a suitable description, Stability, and Sanity loses.

Dr Brewer's Office: Stability 4 to find the Doctor's hacked up body; lose 4 on failure.

Core clues: letter on desk, journal, newspaper clipping; Sanatorium Papers 3, 4, 6, 8

Safe: 2 point Locksmith spend to get in

The Grounds

Generator Shed: Electrical Repair 3 or a generic roll of 5+ to start generator.

The Trees: Athletics 5 to jump from upstairs window to trees.

The Dock: Stability 4 (loss of 1) to find old sailor's body.

The Rest of the Island

Student's Camp: 1 point Evidence Collection, Outdoorsman spend to notice drag marks to sacrificial rock; 1 point Evidence Collection, Archaeology, etc. to find gun & ammo.

Sacrificial Rock: Stability 4 (2).

The Lighthouse: Athletics or Scuffling 5 to open wedged door. Athletics/Fleeing 5 to dodge CERTAIN DEATH from the creature; Athletics/Scuffling 3 to land for D-1 health instead of D+2.

The Creature from Another World

Stealth +3, Stability Loss +2

Possession pool 18

Scuffle 9

Athletics 16

Health 18

Roll Possession vs Stability to possess a character.

Regenerate 3 health/round

Vulnerabilities, in damage/round

Sun damage: D-2

Torch-size fire: D-2

Gas can fire: D+1

Electricity: D+2

Sea: D+7

Contacting Princess Annephis

Roll Hypnosis vs Darlene's Stability to contact the Princess; or a 2 point Pharmacy, Medicine, or Chemistry spend to get the drug dosages correct. OR for dicey drama, use one of those Investigative Abilities as a General one and roll against her Health; on a failure, she passes out for D+2 hours; on a failure of 6 or more, she dies.

Failure to Destroy the Creature

Steady increases in Health and Stability costs, and 1 or 2 point Sanity loss above any Stability-blasted Sanity, to see the creature's transformation and get hit by falling rubble.

Statistics for Inmates

If you need them, give them all Health 5 and one point to spend on anything General roll they might need to make.

YunusWesley

Looking over "The Sanatorium" again, hmm, I might do it differently. You can easily tone up or down the horror of this scenario through the violence done to the nurses, maid, Dr Brewer, and any inmates along the way.

I don't have statistics written down for Charles Johnson, Insane Attendant and convenient excuse to officials coming to the island ("And that's why the formerly institutionalized never deserve a second chance: propensity for RITUAL MURDER.")

I would add +1 to all his Weapons rolls with that axe, and roll all his Scuffling attacks with no point spends; he's not a good fighter, he just keeps swinging. Also, +1 difficulty to players' Sense Trouble rolls to detect him.

Rayston

Thanks for this YunusWesley

Much Appreciated.

Hogscape

I'm deathly keen on a Curse of Cthulhu conversion. Anyone out there equal to the challenge?

wickedcultgod

Has anyone done or is anyone doing Shadows of Yog-Sothoth? If no one has I will start work on that one. It would take me a little time but I really like that campaign and Gumshoe System is the best. Still got Call, but mostly play Trail nowadays and I haven't got to run this for my group so I can get some playtesting in. When I get a little done I'll post it and see what you peeps think about it.

Nico

Hello,

I have a question about conversion of Power Drain spell. It says that the victim losses stability points, but to what limit? To "0" or to -infinity? If the latter one I understand that all rules about shaken/blaster apply?

csmithadair
Hello,

I have a question about conversion of Power Drain spell. It says that the victim losses stability points, but to what limit? To "0" or to -infinity? If the latter one I understand that all rules about shaken/blaster apply?

I would say the limit would be -12 (though if cast against an NPC, the Keeper might stop at 0). And I would also say that being shaken or blasted would apply (as well as incurable insanity). On the other hand, a Keeper might not like the idea of a spell designed to leech magical energy causing insanity. In CoC, the spell simly drains Magic Points, despite its name. Perhaps, then, the limit should be -11 or lower (0 or whatever). Also, if the spell shakes or blasts the target, they should take the penalties to abilities, but not lose Sanity.

mummykitty

Is anyone working on a TOC conversion for Cthulhu Invictus and/or The Legacy of Arrius Lurcco?

rylehNC
Is anyone working on a TOC conversion for Cthulhu Invictus and/or The Legacy of Arrius Lurcco?

That's a harder task than converting a contemporary scenario, as you have to fiddle with Abilities and (logically) Drives.

Uh, not that it wouldn't be great.

mummykitty

Hah, that is why I asked if anyone had already done it! :-)

I have already done a little work on it, mainly on matching up the skills in Cthulhu Invictus to abilities in Trail. I'm actually finding a fair amount that will match up, so that part doesn't seem to tough.

Arrius Lurco will be a lot more work, though to be honest I think I'd want to re-write or change some of it even if I was planning to run it with Call of Cthulhu rules.

Dr. Bloodworth

I'd like to tackle Spawn of Azathoth...

Justin F

I'm too much of a ToC noob to attempt this myself at this stage, but if anyone takes requests I'd be very interested in 'Escape from Innsmouth' and especially 'Tatters of the King'.

('The Burning Stars' would also be good)

Chivalrybean

I'm converting a Monophobia (Robinson Gruesome) scenario to Trail, and was wondering if the improvised bombs would only be a +1 damage, or would they get a higher bonus?

I've not played Trail yet, but I want to get started on this conversion sooner than later. I'm converting it for personal use, but if it turns out to work well, I'm submit it to the list of conversions.

*edit*

I'm more familiar with the Esoterrorist rules, as I have read them all, and just a bit ago found the Point Blank rules in Trail (which I just now see are in Esoterrorists) so +to hit is above 1 in some cases.

*edit again * Hey look, a table with damage conversions. I blame my shouting kids that I missed it {:0p

Justin F

To avoid duplication I should probably say that I've converted 'Crash Dive' (from 'Fearful Passages', includes rules for Diving), and have the following conversions in progress:

'The Watcher in the Valley' ('Tales of the Miskatonic Valley')

'Tatters of the King'

I'll submit these when they are ready.

The_Tatterdemalion_King

All the conversions I attempt turn into massive rewrites. : (

DrummerDave

I am currently converting Coming Full Circle and have sent Simon a PM to discuss. Will get back to guys once the conversion is complete...

Cole
To avoid duplication I should probably say that I've converted 'Crash Dive' (from 'Fearful Passages', includes rules for Diving), and have the following conversions in progress:

'The Watcher in the Valley' ('Tales of the Miskatonic Valley')

'Tatters of the King' .

TotK ever get converted? I am to run it with Trail and hoped to leverage someone elses blood, sweat and tears.

Justin F
TotK ever get converted? I am to run it with Trail and hoped to leverage someone elses blood, sweat and tears.

I did a draft conversion of the first half (which you're welcome to). Although from my greater experience with Trail now, there are some things I'd do differently (eg. it's too detailed on NPC stats). For the moment, writing my own material has been taking precedence. And in terms of playing, other things have been jumping the queue.

BanjoChutney

These conversions are ace. As a newcomer to ToC it's so useful to have these resources, and it keeps all that classic CoC content relevant.

fox01313

Very nice to find this info & more on Pelgrane Press website. As I got recently in an online bundle the Trail of Cthulhu pdf for Shadows over Filmland I've been peeking around a little between locating a comic/game store nearby with some of the Trail books but this conversion process done will make it easy to see what scenarios I have that have been converted to ToC then use that information to better reverse the process to maybe run some of Shadows over Flimland in CoC once I start running CoC games (hopefully soon as new to CoC so want to play some first before diving into running the games).

Tigger_MK4

Very nice to find this info & more on Pelgrane Press website. As I got recently in an online bundle the Trail of Cthulhu pdf for Shadows over Filmland I've been peeking around a little between locating a comic/game store nearby with some of the Trail books but this conversion process done will make it easy to see what scenarios I have that have been converted to ToC then use that information to better reverse the process to maybe run some of Shadows over Flimland in CoC once I start running CoC games (hopefully soon as new to CoC so want to play some first before diving into running the games).

A bit of self promotion : If you download the (free) Eternal Lies CoC conversion from the Pelgrane website , you should find some helpful tips for that process as well.

Cordyceps

Did Tatters of the King ever get converted?  

pxacrake

Anyone converting "Sense of the Sleight of Hand Man"

Lisa

Let me know if anyone's converted "Asylum" from Tales of the Crescent City. I'm going to give a shot, but I've never done this before.

preacher95

Hello

Is there a CoC conversion for the amazing 7th circle adventure yet ?

See you on the other side very soon

Thanks