Sign in to follow this  
jasonw1239

MULA - Mysteries of Tibet

jasonw1239

I notice that Secrets of Tibet has finally received an official mention from Chaosium.

The latest R'lyeh-Report from Nick lists it as one of the books in layout and art direction.

I have been told that the initial layout/art assignment phase should be done by the end of April.

Your guess is as good as mine as to a release date after that.

WinstonP

Any hints as to changes from the monograph?

rylehNC

Fantastic!

jasonw1239

The monograph was about 53,000 words. I deleted about 20,000 words of text, including the scenario.

Edit: the final book weighs in at 80,000 words.

I added three scenarios, fleshed out the main Tibetan city of Lhasa, and provided some more details about the country in the 1920's.

Had to do tons of research and spend a ton of time tracking down reference material.

During the year I was working on the book I ended up with a full time job and had to squeeze the writing in to my days off and spare mornings and evenings.

To date, there has been no feedback since I submitted the manuscript except for letting me know that it was going into layout and art direction.

I had been hoping for some editorial feedback with ideas about how to improve it, but that does not appear to be part of the process.

WinstonP
The monograph was about 53,000 words. I deleted about 20,000 words of text, including the scenario.

Edit: the final book weighs in at 80,000 words.

I added three scenarios, fleshed out the main Tibetan city of Lhasa, and provided some more details about the country in the 1920's.

Had to do tons of research and spend a ton of time tracking down reference material.

During the year I was working on the book I ended up with a full time job and had to squeeze the writing in to my days off and spare mornings and evenings.

Thanks for the info; this is definitely a book I'm looking forward to seeing.

To date, there has been no feedback since I submitted the manuscript except for letting me know that it was going into layout and art direction.

I had been hoping for some editorial feedback with ideas about how to improve it, but that does not appear to be part of the process.

Sadly this seems to be par for the course with Chaosium. They are often simply a black box than announces new books have been released. Sorry to hear things haven't improved.

Skyman

Looks like it's gonna be awesome. I'm Glad to see you work move forward with all the KS stuff Chaosium is doing

jasonw1239

The cover art for Secrets of Tibet and, if you scroll down further, a few more interior images plus notes from the artist.

http://calebcleveland.tumblr.com/page/4

Skyman

Wow he does some fantastic stuff

Careless
Sadly this seems to be par for the course with Chaosium. They are often simply a black box than announces new books have been released. Sorry to hear things haven't improved.

That reminds me as we wait on Jason's book..

Wasn't there supposed to be a whole line up of William Jones authored products for CoC? Just like Pulp Cthulhu (and Secrets of Tibet although at least this has gotten some traction), I vaguely recall a few being announced then POOF.

justadame

Yimsha ?

Just asking ........

jasonw1239

Yimsha ?

Just asking ........

I did not delve into the Robert E. Howard work for this book.

Sorry if that disappoints anybody.

Eihort

I did not delve into the Robert E. Howard work for this book.

Sorry if that disappoints anybody.

An understandable oversight (and it also avoids needless wrangling with the Howard literary estate over licensing).  So this will superseded the monograph Mysteries of Tibet? If so, I will wait--the art looks nice, and while I have never seen a monograph in person, they look pretty bare-bones.

I'm writing material in that area (geographically), and while I have been cooking up my own ideas since taking Tibetan Civilization in undergrad, I'm quite curious to see what you've come up with.

I'm also fascinated by Frederick Burnaby and have a character based on him--I guess it was bound to happen. Any chance of Mysteries of Sudan getting the full treatment?

Thanks for the heads up. I won't buy the monograph version of the Tibet one. I have no idea how many others would be interested in the Sudan one as a mass-market proposition, but I'd love to see it.

I have been reading a book that I missed during my research for the monograph.

It is titled Magic and Mystery in Tibet by Alexandra David-Neel.

No offense, but this is pretty basic to the Western understanding of occult practices/beliefs in Tibet, correctly or wrongly (and particularly, wonderfully suited to adaptation for CoC); speaking as a reference librarian the fact that you managed to miss it suggests you needed a reference librarian. :) You have probably since discovered Tibetan Tales of Love and Magic

Hopefully material from your study of this and other of David-Neel's works will be included in any revisions you are able to make. Were you able to locate Hopkirk's Trespassers on the Roof of the World? His work in general is incredibly valuable to anyone interested in The Great Game, Tibet, Central Asia, etc.

Sven Hedin's Conquest of Tibet is also great for flavour.

jasonw1239

Writing is a sideline, because RPG's don't pay enough to cover the bills, so at a certain point, I wrap up a project and move on to the next one.

I am not a historian, I am a gamer, going back to the days of the three little brown books for Dungeons & Dragons in 1978 and began playing and running Call of Cthulhu in 1982.

As with all Call of Cthulhu source books, it is a mixture of fact and fiction, so your mileage may vary.

Following are the works that I had available when working on this game book.

Bibliography

American Explorer Visits Central Asia article published in the 31 January 1904 issue of The New York Times.

Among the Celestials by Captain Francis Younghusband by Kessinger Publishing  version of the 1898 William Clowes and Sons, Limited edition

ISBN 1-4179-2171-4

Among the Tibetans by Isabella L. Bird 10th edition published by Religious Tract Society [London] 1894 – Project Gutenberg version file name AMGTB10.TXT. http://www.gutenberg.org/

Himmler’s Crusade by Christopher Hale published by Castle Books 2006 ISBN 0-7858-2254-2

Hindus of the Himalayas Ethnography & Change by Gerald D. Berreman 2nd printing by University of California Press  1974 ISBN 0-520-02035-9

India and Tibet a History of the Relations Which Have Subsisted Between the Two Countries From the Time of Warren Hastings to 1910; With a Particular Account of the Mission to Lhasa of 1904 – by Sir Francis Younghusband published in 1910 by John Murray London

Mapping the Tibetan World published by Kotan Publishing September 2004 edition ISBN 0-9701716-0-9

My Life as an Explorer by Sven Hedin published by Garden City Publishing Co., Inc. 1925 edition (no ISBN)

National Geographic: 112 Years Collector's Edition by National Geographic Society Published October 2002 ASIN B000077CE8

New Scientist Magazine – Tibet-Continents in Collision issue #1694 printed on December 9 1989 article by Nigel Harris

New York Times article – American Explorer Visits Central Asia; Oscar Crosby Returns from Expedition into Tibet. January 31 1904

New York Times article – ULTIMATUM FROM TIBET; Great Lama Warns British Colonel to Turn Back. Expected That Tibetans, When Reinforced, Will Attack the Camp of the British Expedition.  January 29 1904

Sacred Buddhist Symbols and Charms of Lamaism by L. Austin Waddell by Kessinger Publishing December 2005 ISBN 1-4253-6691-0

Seven Years in Tibet by Heinrich Harrer published by Tarcher/Putman 1996 ISBN 0-87477-888-3

The British Invasion of Tibet | 1904 published by London: The Stationary Office 1999 abridged edition ISBN 0-11-702409-0

The Opening of Tibet: An Account of Lhasa and the Country and People of Central Tibet and of the Progress of the Mission Sent There by the English Government in the Year 1903-4 by Perceval Landon published by Doubleday Page & Co. 1905 (no ISBN)

The Lhasa Jokhang – is the world’s oldest timber frame building in Tibet? By André Alexander of the Tibet Heritage Fund published on his web journal with an ISSN 1827-8868

The Shadow Circus: The CIA in Tibet released in 1998 50 minutes produced and directed by Ritu Sarin and Tenzing Sonam a White Crane Films Production for BBC Television. Broadcast on PBS (USA) in April 2002

The Seattle Times article – Coveted Link to China’s past found in a basement at UW. July 24 2005 article by Lisa Chiu

The Story of Tibet – Conversations the Dalai Lama by Thomas Laird published by Grove Press 2006 ISBN 978-0-8021-4327-3

The Tibetan Book of the Dead First Complete Translation – Translated by Gyurme Dorje 2008 Penguin Classics edition ISBN 978-0-140-45526-7

The Universe in a Single Atom by His Holiness the Dalai Lama published by Morgan Road Books 2005 ISBN 0-7679-2066-7

Three Years in Tibet by Ekai Kawaguchi published by Bibliotheca Himalayica Series 1, Vol 22 2005 edition ISBN 978-974-524-014-8

Tibet and the British Raj – The Frontier Cadre 1904-1947 by Alex McKay published by The Library of Tibetan Works and Archives Dharamsala in 2009 ISBN 978-81-86470-92-3

Tibetan Magic and Mysticism by J.H. Brennan published by Llewllyn Publications 2006 ISBN 0-7387-0713-9

Transforming the Mind by His Holiness the Dalai Lama published by Thorsons 2000 ISBN 0-7225-4030-2

Video Night in Kathmandu by Pico Iyer published by Vintage Departures June 1989 edition ISBN 0-679-72216-5

Younghusband – the last great imperial adventurer by Patrick French published by Harper Perennial 2004 ISBN 0-00-637601-0

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this