Sign in to follow this  
jasonw1239

MULA - Mysteries of Tibet

jasonw1239

Chaosium has posted the release date for my latest monograph.

Mysteries of Tibet

As I mentioned in an email to Dustin Wright, if it had not been for my early days playing D&D I never would have been introduced to Call of Cthulhu.

Thank you Gary Gygax!

eltrevo

oh......my.......god 8O

jasonw1239
oh......my.......god 8O

Hmm...does that indicate a "pleasant surprise" or the other variety? :)

eltrevo

Pleasant surprise. What era is this gonna be set in? Because I have GREAT need of information on Tibet. Give me any details possible!

Oh, and are there any adventures?

jasonw1239

It is source material covering the history of Tibet and its people.

It is open so that a keeper can use bits and pieces of it in any era but the primary focus is the classic period. There is also information that can fit into late gaslight period.

I only included one adventure, the rest is reference material. If a keeper wishes, they could base a campaign in Tibet based on this monograph.

I will copy out the table of contents and post it to this thread shortly.

Jason

jasonw1239

Table of contents (sorry about the weird formatting, the monograph was done in Word and does not copy well to text).

Map of Tibet & Potala Palace photo….……..3

Forward…………………………………….…5

Introduction to the Mysteries of Tibet………5

History of Tibet……………………………….6

Call of Cthulhu Version of Tibet – and the Connection to Earth’s Dreamlands………….6

Fungi from Yuggoth…………………………..7

Sonic Mi-Go Devices…………………..7

Early History………………………………….8

Chronology of Events…………………………8

Geography of Tibet………………………….12

People of Tibet……………………………….13

Tibetan Aristocracy…………………………13

Tibetan Government………………………...14

Typical Houses……………………………….14

Typical Village……………………………….15

Tibetan Monasteries………………………...16

List of Dalai Lamas………………………….18

Fighting Monks of the Sera Monastery…….20

Mani Stones and Chortens ….………….......21

Tibetan Religious Symbols………………….21

Immured Monks……………………………..25

Tibetan Monk Spells………………………...26

Tibetan Book of the Dead………………...…27

Bön – Pre-Buddhist Shamanism…………....28

Tibetan Sky Burials – Jhator……………….30

108 – Sacred Number of Tibetan Buddhism…………………………………….31

Madam Blavatsky Information……………..32

Common Charms purchased from Bön Sorcerers……………………………………..32

Tibetan Mythology and Monsters………….33

Persons of Note………………………………35

Travelling to Tibet…………………………..48

Weather Conditions…………………………55

Villagers and Nomads……………………….56

Nomadic and Bandit Tribes

Tibetan Occupations………………………...57

Tibetan Holy Lakes……………………….…59

Lhasa…………………………………………59

Justice in Tibet………………………………62

Tibetan Weapons…………………………….62

Tibetan Calendar…………………………....63

Tibetan Festivals…………………………….64

Tibetan Names…………………………….…65

Tibetan Food…………………………………65

Tibetan Writing……………………………...66

Tibetan Words and Phrases………………...67

Tibetan Skills………………………………...68

Scenario – Legacy of the Guru……………...70

Glossary………………………………………77

Index………………………………………….80

Bibliography……………………….……...…82

jasonw1239

I deleted a few things from the above table of contents list to avoid spoilers, but for any DG fans, I provided some details on the CIA operation ST Circus which could tie nicely into the DG timeline.

The funding for that operation was coincidentally cut off by the CIA in 1969 and the last mission took place in 1974. It was also based out of the Mustang region of Nepal. (that will be very significant to anybody that has read or played Tatters of the King).

For those that may not have heard about this CIA operation:

ST Circus

Careless

Now this presents many interesting possibilities... After all they say Tibet was a land built atop the body of a demoness which is held down in certain strategic locations by a presence of a Buddhist monastery.

Tell me something though, i take it will see a bit of the Mi-go (or "Migou" if i am to believe the HPL scholars) as major players on the plateau?

jasonw1239
Now this presents many interesting possibilities... After all they say Tibet was a land built atop the body of a demoness which is held down in certain strategic locations by a presence of a Buddhist monastery.

Tell me something though, i take it will see a bit of the Mi-go (or "Migou" if i am to believe the HPL scholars) as major players on the plateau?

I do indeed cover the 'Grul-Ma story. There is a geomantic pattern of 108 monasteries surrounding Lhasa said to contain her.

The monastery that is supposed to be directly over her is the Jokhang which sits on the east edge of the Barkhor Square.

The original name for Lhasa translates into English as "Place of the Goat". Perhaps a Dark Goat? :twisted:

The Mi-Go are acknowledged as are several other elements from Lovecraft and Call of Cthulhu canon.

Jason

deuce

Looks great! What about Leng? :)

jasonw1239
Looks great! What about Leng? :)

I have included some optional rules for travelers crossing into the Dreamlands (including Leng) and for the Dreamlands denizens to inadvertently wander into the wilds of Tibet. Travelers never know what they might run into. :twisted:

There is a Tibetan belief that demons lurk under every rock...

Kadath

This sounds... FAB !!

:)

Kadath

CAThompson

This sounds really cool. Long sleeved robes and butter tea for all investigators. I see that the food page is already there, boiled yak and potato dumplings abound I hope?

A real question, will this have anything to do with Secrets of Japan?

Kadath

and it will be an excellent companion volume to any Gaslight sourcebook dealing with India and the Raj as we have discussed in the gaslight forums.

Kadath

jasonw1239

It does not make any mention of Japan other than to one individual from Japan who managed to live in Lhasa for several years after travelling there on a pilgrimage.

It does cover the usual suspects for the late gaslight period such as the Younghusband expedition. I did not go into details about the British equipment. There was enough transported from India through Sikkim to justify just about anything. Without looking up the quote from one of the Younghusband biographies, the expedition required close to 100 yaks just to carry his gear (one of the numerous items on his personal inventory was 67 shirts).

jasonw1239

Not sure about the potato dumplings, in the 19th and early 20th centuries the country seemed more reliant on the hearty high altitude grains such as barley.

Toasted barley flour (tsampa) with the butter tea seems more traditional.

Although the description of watching butter being churned is not for the weak of stomach.

CAThompson

Maybe they're new? Chengdu has a decent Tibetan population and their foods are hearty, lunch more or less filled me for all day. I didn't try the potato dumplings though, lots of yak, dried, boiled, fried every kind of yak you want, and yak butter with all things.

jasonw1239

I checked through some of my reference material and the only potato recipes I could see were traditional Tibetan foods in the eastern areas bordering Sichuan province.

Compared to most of Tibet this is a lowland area and supports foodstuffs that do not grow very well at the higher altitudes of the Tibetan plateau whose average elevation is 4,500 meters.

I did see some references to traditional potato recipes and they seem to be from eastern Kham and Amdo

CAThompson

Yeah, I think we mostly have the western Tibetan minority here. I understand it's hard to get into Tibet these ays, something about a riot or everything being under control or someone making too much noise about it in the states.

jasonw1239

As usual in a situation like this, there are conflicting reports.

Quick list of news items:

-The reports about a number of dead (10-100)

-Photos have come out of Lhasa showing extensive damage from rioting and burning

-Some reports indicate that the big three monasteries around Lhasa are surrounded by Chinese troops

-Agence France-Presse are reporting that Chinese forces have entered Nepal after the Chinese embassy was attacked by protesters

-A number of countries have expressed that they might boycott the Olympics over the Tibet situation. The IOC has had an emergency meeting to urge member nations not to engage in a boycott

-Deutsche Welle (German press) has the story this morning of 'China has declared a "people's war" against Tibetan separatism following the biggest uprising against Chinese rule there in nearly 20 years.'

jasonw1239

I have uploaded a zipped file containing some photographs and scans of items that can be used for handouts.

They include:

- 6 images (3 double sided sheets) of 19th century Tibetan woodcut printings

- 5 scans of prayer flags that I purchased to use for illustrations

- Set of JPG images of hand lettered Tibetan language characters

http://tinyurl.com/37ltjw

Please note that I retain the copyright to these items and that they are to be used for Call of Cthulhu game purposes only in conjunction with my Mysteries of Tibet monograph. - Jason Williams

Bhoritz

There are also some tibetan fonts available on the web if people need to produce some handouts themselves.

For exemple:http://babel.uoregon.edu/yamada/fonts/tibetan.html

jasonw1239

For miniatures fans, I spotted a UK web site that has Tibetan specific minis!

Including:

Tibetan Nomad Cavalry

Tibetan Yak Caravan

Tibetan Matchlockmen

And many other Asian minis (Adventurers, British, Russian, Chinese, Mongols, etc.)

I have not purchased anything from them yet, but their work looks great!

http://www.copplestonecastings.co.uk/range.php?range=BOB

(Tibetan minis are towards the bottom of the page)

If anybody from the UK has any experience with this company please let me know. I would not mind picking up some of their minis.

jasonw1239

In one section of Mysteries of Tibet I attempted to describe the sound that several traditional musical instruments make.

There are a number of web sites that have sample sounds. Here are a few links to some of the items. (Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with the web sites that I am linking to, nor have I ever purchased anything from them, so buyer beware!).

Conch Shells

Singing Bowls

Bells

Tibetan Longhorns

Temple Cymbals

Tingsha

jasonw1239

So has anybody had a chance to read through Mysteries of Tibet yet?

Thoughts? Anything that should have been left out? Anything that you would have liked to have seen covered that I did not include?

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this