Sign in to follow this  
NyarlathotepScribe

RM308 and The Mysteries of Mesoamerica

Mograg

Doc,

Nothing you wrote sucked. In fact, just the opposite. Your words for Call of Cthulhu are worth their weight in gold. And I still must buy you that beer.

- Brian C.

doccthulhu

Mmmm...beer.

Doc

sglancy12

Just in case it hasn't been made 100% clear, let me reiterate:

Pagan Publishing has accepted Room 308's offer to publish Mysteries of MesoAmerica. When the layout and art is completed, and that may be a matter of just a month or two, we will be sending it off to the printer. Money is not going to be an issue with this project.

We are going to be soliciting our distributors this week for Mysteries of MesoAmerica, Delta Green: Eyes Only, Final Flight and Bumps in the Night. It could be a very busy year.

Yes, we'll update our website and get some preview art up soon. Blair Reynolds already sent us a disk full of artwork for just that purpose.

GofnnHupadgh

"I'll certainly look out for Mysteries of Mesoamerica, when it comes out.

What time period is it planned to be set in ? (1920's, 1990's, mix ?)"

Mysteries of Mesoamerica is basically set in the classical period. There are four scenarios set in 1914, 1923, 1925, and 1927. Blair's artwork that some of you may have seen on the Room 308 website before he took it down are just partials of the full illos that will be in the book - teases of the full horror.

Now, since Scott announced about Final Flight and Bumps in the Night, I hope everyone will see the amazing cover art that Rick Sardinha did for these two books soon.

Dr_Zarnak

Two questions:

Will Blair Reynolds be contributing any artwork to future Pagan publications?

Will Pagan be using the "Ransom" method for its future projects?

GofnnHupadgh
Two questions:

Will Blair Reynolds be contributing any artwork to future Pagan publications?

Will Pagan be using the "Ransom" method for its future projects?

To answer question one, I EXTREMELY hope so!!!

To answer question two, if it helps to complete the project - why not? :)

sufirjp

Okay, I'll bite:

What is Final Flight?

Also, is the Eyes Only project mentioned above the same as on Dennis Detwiller's site? Further, is this another reprint of Vol. 1-3 or is it a new compilation of chapbooks, as mentioned as a possibility in the yog-sothoth.com video interview?

gloomhound
While I really don't like the Cthulhu plush dolls and silly stuff, I think that the Mythos, even just HPL's stuff, just isn't that serious sometimes.

I mean, you have a lot of inside references to his friends. Like him and Robert Blake killing off each other. References to Clark Ashton Smith like he's famous and then to him as "Klarkash-Ton".

But beyond that, the real trouble is Cthulhu himself. He's just not very scary. He's basically a squid-headed Kaiju (ie, big monster like Godzilla).

There is genuinely creepy stuff in some mythos stories - The Dunwich Horror with Yog-Sothoth's spawn; At the Mountains of Madness with the shoggoths.

But at the same time, I think the game made some entities more sinister than portrayed in Lovecraft. The Yithians seem fairly benign, just curious more than anything else. The Mi-Go don't seem too troublesome, apparently unwilling to kill a nosey human (just harassing him at first to get him to move away), yet they are major amoral villains in CoC.

Dead on my friend. Here is the truth about CoC...The real villains are the humans.

Evans

To be honest it's the very ambivalence of creatures like the Mi Go I rather like. It seems to give it a more alien feel.

Max Schreck
But beyond that, the real trouble is Cthulhu himself. He's just not very scary. He's basically a squid-headed Kaiju (ie, big monster like Godzilla).

Sing it, brother! That's what I've been saying for years, but would anybody listen? Noooo....

I actually agree with Blair as far as the Mythos being too silly goes, but where I disagree is when the silliness started. As has already been mentioned, the ludicrousness of Cthulhu & Co. didn't just spring up with plush Cthulhus and Cthulhu bumper stickers. The absurdity and ridiculousness is inherent in the genre, and was already part of it in the '20s and 30's, when HPL and others wrote. Why do you think they got published in cheap pulp magazines? Because no one else would touch their drivel.

I have never quite understood why people laugh knowingly and ironically at 1950's horror and SF involving 50 foot women and giant ants and floating brains, when they at the same time laud Lovecraft as the "baroque prince of horror", even though these laughable monstrosities have their counterparts in Lovecraft's fiction. What really is the difference between the creature from the Black Lagoon and a Deep One?

Lovecraft's creations are the precursors of those laughable matinée horrors. Lovecraft's stories are in the worst cases sensationalist stories about rubber monsters with zippers down their backs, and the best cases E. A. Poe pastiches.

All this being said, I still love CoC, but I have no illusions regarding the source material. It was written in another era with other sensibilities, and holds no horror for me. As such I can't see why tacky Lumley-esque fiction and plush dolls should make it worse, as it was already pretty bad to begin with. What I actually find is that the CoC game has actually managed sometimes to produce RPG products of noteworthy quality despite its poor source material, but I increasingly feel that the best of CoC is usually the material that re-invents the Mythos or adds something new, rather than the "traditional" Mythos stuff.

I am sick to death of inbred fishing villages, Deep Ones, Mi-Go's and ghoul-infested graveyards. I find that I am increasingly just using CoC as a base for cosmic horror roleplaying, and not for the specific background per se.

Enough belly-aching from me. Maybe Cthulhu's age is just starting to show. To me, ol' squidhead has grown as familiar, harmless and laughable as Bela Lugosi's Dracula. Maybe the plush dolls actually had something to do with that.

Cheerio,

Max

moonbeast

Confucius say:

"Best way to use Great Cthulhu, is to never use Great Cthulhu in game called Call of Cthulhu."

grodog

I'm glad to hear that this is in the works for a summer release :D :D

Tigger_MK4

Firstly, I'd like to add my voice to those who are very pleased Mesoamerica is coming out ...

Secondly:

"Cthulhu is just a big kaiju..."

....And a 80+ foot rampaging indestructable beast can't be scary,given the right treatment ?

Thirdly:

Plush Cthuhlu sells and makes people interested in finding out more about the novels & the game. If they're not to your taste, don;t buy 'em.

Ditto extended stories.

HOWEVER, without them, CoC wouldnt be as well known as it is (and its still not THAT well known outside of genre fans). .. so whether you find them tacky or not, they ARE helping to promote and keep healthy the parts of CoC that you DO like.

Its a bit like Galactica or Doctor Who - you many (or may not - I'm a GINO myself) like the new versions, but they are bringing a horde of new fans in to the older stuff as well.

Dr_Locrian
I have never quite understood why people laugh knowingly and ironically at 1950's horror and SF involving 50 foot women and giant ants and floating brains, when they at the same time laud Lovecraft as the "baroque prince of horror", even though these laughable monstrosities have their counterparts in Lovecraft's fiction. What really is the difference between the creature from the Black Lagoon and a Deep One?

Lovecraft's creations are the precursors of those laughable matinée horrors. Lovecraft's stories are in the worst cases sensationalist stories about rubber monsters with zippers down their backs, and the best cases E. A. Poe pastiches.

In my opinion, only someone who isn't really paying attention can say that the best of HPL is a pastiche of Poe.

Why stop there? Just about any writer, popular or obscure, is laughable if you want to be cynical about it, especially those lowly genre writers. Raymond Chandler, A. Conan Doyle, Arthur Clarke, HG Wells, RE Howard, Tolkien. If you want to be consistent about it, ALL of these writers are pure bunk because of the scale of their influence and many imitators.

Also, you'd need to dismiss out of hand every self taught folk artist that's ever been discovered after their deaths. Of course their technique will be un-learned, un-polished--but there is usually something there that clicks on a creative level, quirks and all.

You can say the HPL is ridiculous, but I always say the bottom line is that he has a very distinctive voice--there is no f**cking way you could mistake his finest stories as being any other writer. That might be a small accomplishment to you, but whether you like that voice or not is a matter of taste.

grodog

Anyone check out the printer proof at GenCon?

maldoror

I'm pretty excited about this book; did Room 308 ever put out a second issue of Black Sands?

grodog
I'm pretty excited about this book; did Room 308 ever put out a second issue of Black Sands?

Not that I'd heard of: Blair and I corresponded about some submissions for BS#2 BITD, but it never happened (as far as I know).

clockworkjoe
Anyone check out the printer proof at GenCon?

I did. It looks fantastic. Great art. I will pick up a copy as soon as it is available.

kindermord

Is this on the go yet?

Armitage

Great...in drooling over ToO I had forgot about Meoamerica. Hopefully it'll be released after Christmas so my wallet can recover.

DarkDesigns

Just ordered Mysteries of Mesoamerica from FRPGames!

Can't wait to see this one! :D

Tigger_MK4

I've noticed Paizo have it listed on their site- does this mean its shipped ?

A42
I've noticed Paizo have it listed on their site- does this mean its shipped ?

Mine came in the mail today. Ordered it from Noble Knight on Friday.

sufirjp

Mine arrived from pre-order by Arkham Bazaar, which means they've shipped.

revnye

My pre-order arrived today as well. I've already skimmed the book, which has a great deal of information on the region, it's inhabitants, and their myth cycles. Then there are the four scenarios, which look as dark and deadly as I expected.

The illustrations are simply stunning. No other artist captures the feel of the Mythos like Blair Reynolds(IMO).

Mr. Glancy, please keep Senor Reynolds drawing! I know he gets discouraged, but you must keep him contributing his wonderful artwork to the world of Cthulhu.