Yossarian

Pulp Cthulhu: What do we know?

Yossarian

This is a book I'm awaiting eagerly, but I know precious little about it. What do we know about it? When will it be published? How many pages? How will it differ from classic CoC? What is the content?

Anyone?

Yossarian

I don't think my players have THAT much SAN left. :lol:

deep1hybrid

William Jones has a blog where he talks about some of the things to be found in Pulp as well as books such as Frontier Cthulhu and High Seas Cthulhu (note a trend?). You can find him here: http://www.williamsramblings.blogspot.com/

CitizenX

Give me a peak into the infinite roiling chaos that is Azathoth in his mad dance any day over bizarre peacock-colored she-males.

BigJackBrass
P.S. I assume you know about the dedicated forum for it on This very site

That link goes to the Trail of Cthulhu forum, which I don't believe is a replacement for Pulp Cthulhu... or is my information antiquated?

Also, unfortunately I can't get anything from either of your first two image links, although the last one is more sanity draining than the dame!

liveliest_awfulness

That link goes to the Trail of Cthulhu forum, which I don't believe is a replacement for Pulp Cthulhu... or is my information antiquated?

Aha. Cheers BJB. I stand corrected. Honestly you're off reading something else for five whole minutes and the world of horror gaming races into the distance before your very eyes. I can't possibly hope to catch up. :D

So, let me see if I have this right, we eagerly await the release of one '1930's' companion (or ?) and we find we have 2 products to anxiously check amazon for? One of which is Trail of Cthulhu & the other is the not abandoned yet Pulp Cthulhu? I thought they'd just renamed it. WOW.

Leaving me to wonder like Yossarian...

"What do we know about it then?"....................Groundhog day.

Pedro

P.S. I don't know what went wrong with the link. Sorry.

vogless

I see 2 options for Pulp Cthulhu:

1) Wait for Trail of Cthulhu

2) Buy Pulp Hero by Hero games. It's one of the best sourcebooks I've ever read. It's also not heavy on stats, just pulp. You'd do just fine using it for a pulp background and filling it with Mythos stuff from CoC.

moonbeast

I'm personally waiting for Pulp Cthulhu, even tho it's long delayed.

Why? Because of William Jones. He's a talented fiction writer with solid credentials. The fact that he wrote Pulp Cthulhu is enough for me. William is a proven industry writer, and already has a few popular CoC products published in his name (or where he is listed as contributor).

The holdup with Pulp Cthulhu is not William Jones. According to his blog, he's already submitted the entire manuscript to Chaosium back in 2007. So the fault is not his. The fault and delay lies with Chaosium. Chaosium is responsible for editing things, typesetting, artwork, making sure game dynamics makes sense, and then playtesting, and then making sure they actually ship the book.

So I'm hoping they get it out sometime in 2008. Best. Cover. Ever.

Pulp_Cthulhu.jpg

rabindranath72

d20 CoC with the Defence Option rules makes for a nice pulp-style game. The adventure in the d20 CoC GM screen is in fact a nice example of a pulp adventure.

moonbeast

Pulp Cthulhu is definitely still on track for a 2008 release, as William Jones just posted today (February 8) on his blog. They are currently working on interior art. And after that, it should go into layout.

http://www.williamsramblings.blogspot.com/

Zane
Pulp Cthulhu is definitely still on track for a 2008 release, as William Jones just posted today (February 8) on his blog. They are currently working on interior art. And after that, it should go into layout.

http://www.williamsramblings.blogspot.com/

Cool! I've been watching for another update. I'm really interested in seeing this book released. I don't even want to use it for a "Cthulhu" game, I'm interested in using it for basic "Pulp". The addition of "Traits" to the BRP system looks to give it a nice "Pulpy" feel.

I'd love to see them do like they did with "Basic Roleplaying" and offer a "Edition 0" printing for those of us willing to shell out the extra $$$'s.

Zane

moonbeast

I'd love to see them do like they did with "Basic Roleplaying" and offer a "Edition 0" printing for those of us willing to shell out the extra $$$'s.

Zane

"Basic Pulp Roleplaying" system? Sounds like a worthwhile idea. Let Chaosium know.

TarsTarkas

Anybody else notice this yet?

Mograg

Yep - saw it - not sure what to believe regarding Pulp Cthulhu anymore...it's difficult to maintain a pitch of enthusiasm over years of waiting and "maybe this year" type announcements and then it disappears again.

To stay positive, I really do hope it releases, and I'm sure a lot of thought, work, and good writing have gone into the project - I'm just telling myself not to get excited over any more "see it soon" announcements until I actually see it for sale in my local store.

Cheers,

Brian C.

CharlesDexterWard
Yep - saw it - not sure what to believe regarding Pulp Cthulhu anymore...

The less you believe, the less disappointed you'll be. That's my strategy, anyway.

it's difficult to maintain a pitch of enthusiasm over years of waiting and "maybe this year" type announcements and then it disappears again.

To stay positive, I really do hope it releases, and I'm sure a lot of thought, work, and good writing have gone into the project - I'm just telling myself not to get excited over any more "see it soon" announcements until I actually see it for sale in my local store.

Cheers,

Brian C.

I agree with everything you say on this topic.

moonbeast

Thread resurrection...

On track for a Summer 2008 release.

Zane
On track for a Summer 2008 release.

I noticed that, if they'd have been smart, they'd have had it out just before the new Indiana Jones movie, and tried to ride its coat tails. I suspect renewed interest in Indiana Jones would have been good for a more than a few sales they wouldn't otherwise get.

My CoC campaign, while nearing its end, has been on hold for a while now, and won't start up until July at the earliest. As a result the odds are looking better and better for Pulp Cthulhu having some influence on the next campaign I run! :D

Zane

Gaffer

I wish Summer 2008 would mean a debut at Origins, but it will probably be GenCon, as usual. :(

Zane
I wish Summer 2008 would mean a debut at Origins, but it will probably be GenCon, as usual. :(

I've been waiting on this book for so many years that if it is out at GenCon I'll be jumping for joy! They really need to work on finally getting this book out. In fact since it isn't out, I bought both "Trail of Cthulhu" and "Spirit of the Century" last weekend to look at as possible Pulp rules.

Zane
PULP CTHULHU: Reckless adventures in the 1930's. This sourcebook for Call of Cthulhu is nearly completed. We're gathering up the last bits of interior art in preparation of final layout. I anticipate we'll have copies of this book available at good old Gen Con! (#23107 $24.95) Expected August

Looks like they're still on track for an August Release, though as they don't have all the art and the final layout isn't complete, I have my doubts. Gen Con is just under 60 days away, if they have it in print by then I'll be ecstatic!

Zane

moonbeast
PULP CTHULHU: Reckless adventures in the 1930's. This sourcebook for Call of Cthulhu is nearly completed. We're gathering up the last bits of interior art in preparation of final layout. I anticipate we'll have copies of this book available at good old Gen Con! (#23107 $24.95) Expected August

Looks like they're still on track for an August Release, though as they don't have all the art and the final layout isn't complete, I have my doubts. Gen Con is just under 60 days away, if they have it in print by then I'll be ecstatic!

Zane

Hmmm odd. Where did you find this R'lyeh Report? I can't find it anywhere on their website. And I remember that I am subscribed to the e-mail list of the R'lyeh Report. I didn't get a June 15th Report by email.

Edit: I found it.

I don't get it. Chaosium said that they will be Pulp Cthulhu in October, then they said it will be on November, and now is so quiet about it. What do You think? When it will be done?

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now