Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fallingtower

Just saw new Dawn of the Dead--

Fallingtower

It was good...not great, but a damn fine popcorn muncher. Worth full admission (or long downloading session :wink:)

:cry: No gut eating scenes

:P Some good head blowing offs

8) Flesh tearing

:) Arterial spray

:D Fast zombies kinda cool

:? No real in depth characters..so what

:wink: Acting pretty good

:idea: Good gimmick to keep audience for entire credit scroll

:twisted: Guns! Guns! Guns! Unlike 28 Days Later.

:D Cool Previews: Troy-Looks good / Riddick[something or other]-sci fi w/ Vin Diesel interesting / Van Helsing- Looks damn enjoyable / Soul Airlines-No comment

FunGuyfromYuggoth
It was good...not great, but a damn fine popcorn muncher. Worth full admission (or long downloading session :wink:)

8) Flesh tearing

:D Cool Previews: Troy-Looks good / Riddick[something or other]-sci fi w/ Vin Diesel interesting / Van Helsing- Looks damn enjoyable / Soul Airlines-No comment

Make sure to stick around for the epilogue during the end credits!

Fallingtower

I did.

Also- Good use of a Johnny Cash song

dysjunct

good use of a Richard Cheese song!

Overall I thought that the movie was fair, not a waste of my money, but not as good as 28DL.

EzekialLockhart

Well I liked it, I was angry at how dumb the people were, but then again when you say "horror" it means that idiocy runs rampant through the film. *Sigh* I would've been constructing some sort of explosive device and hurling them regularly at the horde of zombies outside of the mall. They have a good idea with the kerosene tanks..but poorly applied.

Ah well, I'll get off my podium now.

Roadkill
They have a good idea with the kerosene tanks..but poorly applied.

When you think about it... society these days, and its individual members, are much better equipped to deal with a zombie infestation than society in the times when the zombie movie was first popularised. :wink:

Rev_Danno

Gamers in genral are better equiped (mentally) to deal w/ such problems.

My frends and I spent 3 days Before DotD came out talking about how we would deal with such a situation...

Also I saw preview on-line for a movie that looks just as good if not better (I wish I lived in the UK right about now), a movie called Shaun of the Dead.

It's not coming out until fall of 2004 in the US, or so i've heard...

Cthulhudude

I saw it and I loved it. Hell I loved 28 Days Later and I think this was better. Ha, there I said it. :twisted: 28 Days had better character and character depth but DotD beat it hands down in fast kinetic action, gore and the fact that their zombies were actually real zombies. Also, DotD was suitably dark and nihilistic where 28 Days wussed out in the end :x (IMHO). But both movies had a nice apocalyptic feel to them and I do like both about the same. I guess I would give 28 Days the nod as far as being the better film but I’d say that DotD was the better zombie flick.

Notice how I didn’t even mention that horrid House of the Dead? Man, what a stinker that was. :evil:

My hope is that DotD makes a ton of cash so that Romero can use that and say; “See, see, that’s my baby! Now give me some money so I can make the 4th Dead flick.â€Â

Cthulhudude

Oh and I forgot, yes I loved the Johnny Cash song, but I also loved the Sinatra-like rendition of Disturbed’s “The Sicknessâ€Â. :lol:

Fallingtower
Gamers in genral are better equiped (mentally) to deal w/ such problems.

My frends and I spent 3 days Before DotD came out talking about how we would deal with such a situation...

One logic fart I noticed with the movie-

If I knew (like the characters in the movie) that with one bite or scratch and I would soon be joining the ranks of the zombies; I would surely quit wearing short or in one characters case totally sleeveless shirts...duh :?:

Hello football and hockey pads with everywhere else wrapped in 3 inches of duct tape.

fooboy

8) Flesh tearing

The epilogue sort of ruined it for me. It was an mediocre film. Not better than the original by a long shot and frankly I liked 28 Days better (I think the new DotD is more like 28 Days than the original DotD). Anyway I really missed the characterization of both DotD and 28 Days. There were just too many people without any kind of backstory for me to care. Some people just showed up and I wasn't really sure what it was they were doing there. That said, the core characters were intriguing, and I liked the bit about "Andy." The effects were stylish but too clean. There were hints of CG throughout. Not really that scary. The opening 10 minutes however are some of the most suspenseful I've seen, and Zack Snyder's vision of the apocalypse...well brilliant. If only he had sustained that through the movie rather than dilluting the good characters with superflous ones. The soundtrack was great (except for the obligatory nu-metal Rob Zombie sound at the end). Overall worth seeing, but not what I had hoped for.

EzekialLockhart

If I knew (like the characters in the movie) that with one bite or scratch and I would soon be joining the ranks of the zombies; I would surely quit wearing short or in one characters case totally sleeveless shirts...duh :?:

Hello football and hockey pads with everywhere else wrapped in 3 inches of duct tape.

Or better yet, break into a museum and steal yourself some armor. I'd love to see a zombie bite through steel.

GHill
Also, DotD was suitably dark and nihilistic where 28 Days wussed out in the end

Don't hold me to this, but I'm pretty sure there is an alternate ending on the 28 Days DVD Can anyone confirm this???

Cthulhudude
Don't hold me to this, but I'm pretty sure there is an alternate ending on the 28 Days DVD Can anyone confirm this???

Yes, on the DVD they show one that was filmed and it was a bit darker than the one they decided to go with in the end. Also on the DVD, the director and writer talk about a totally different third ending they had at first thought of doing and told its story with the aid of story boards. This is the one I really liked as it was a very dark ending, however there was a loophole in the logic of it and that’s why they didn’t use it.

FunGuyfromYuggoth
Also, DotD was suitably dark and nihilistic where 28 Days wussed out in the end

The DVD is one of those worth renting or buying after watching the film. I recall five alternate endings, at least two that were filmed, and three total that were significant departures from the original. The remaining were tweaks to the alternative endings. I don't have a copy handy, so you'll have to confirm for yourself.

I am still completely floored at how they were able to film London streets, even with movie magic, as deserted.

FunGuyfromYuggoth

Or better yet, break into a museum and steal yourself some armor. I'd love to see a zombie bite through steel.

I don't think "running" in a noisy suit suit of plate (assuming that the local Museum Store had one in somebody's size) is a good idea with thousands of zombies tearing at you. Eventually a buckle or strap would give and they'd treat one like an artichoke.

I agree though that the least I would do is wear a leather jacket, leather pants (chaps at the country-western store?), steel-toe work boots, and a hockey or football helmet would be the minimum, but hey what's the logic of the policeman fitting through that dog door?

GHill

I am still completely floored at how they were able to film London streets, even with movie magic, as deserted.

A lot of the central London footage was filmed in and around the "City of London" - also known as the "Square mile" - its London's financial center, at the weekend and especially Sundays, its almost completely deserted anyway.

EzekialLockhart

Well when I said I'd prefer the suit of armor, I wasn't intending to imply I could skip and jump freely among zombies..I just meant I'd be much safer. I'd still be packing a firearm, many probably.

Where were all the automatic weapons in that movie come to think of it? That zombie horde wouldn't have stood a chance if they had a few automatics up on that roof. I think I'm over-analyzing things again.

FunGuyfromYuggoth
Well when I said I'd prefer the suit of armor, I wasn't intending to imply I could skip and jump freely among zombies..I just meant I'd be much safer. I'd still be packing a firearm, many probably.

Where were all the automatic weapons in that movie come to think of it? That zombie horde wouldn't have stood a chance if they had a few automatics up on that roof. I think I'm over-analyzing things again.

No, I think that's pretty key to a good horror survival movie, by giving the audience a sense of stake in the proceedings. I am not sure, though what kind of mall they were in to have access to the welding equipment. I'm not familiar with Wisconsin, but do they have hardware stores in malls over there? 8O

I think you'd enjoy Max Brooks' "Zombie Survival Guide." It's fun stuff. :twisted:

A helicopter blaring over the city, leading the zombies to an open space, like a stadium or park, followed by a solid airstrike with a "daisy cutter" style bomb would do the trick in a zombie apocalypse.

AcesandEights

Here is my initial take on the film (most of it taken from my post at the board I spend most of my time at):

[**Definitely a Little Spoilage**]

Well...it certainly had some good points.

I did, however, feel that the beginning could have been handled just a tad bit better. It seemed there was ample opportunity for really disturbing horror in the first 12 minutes of the film that they didn't quite come through on. I guess I wanted to see a more dark and depraved opening, a little more mood, theme and substance and then a little more tension for the female protagonist.

I agree with those who liked J. Cash's opening number--it was perfect and balanced very well against the montage of clips!

I did love the cast. I was really impressed by who they got to fill out the core roles, and I do mean fill out the roles--they really gave some of those 2D characters a little help.

So, am I the only one who thought they should have gone down to the Hobby Hut and gotten a remote control helicopter and flew Andy a brisket or something? And since we're on the subject, how did you guys feel about the whole idea of the zombies not paying attention to animals?

And by god, am I glad they managed to save the last living red head (even if she was a fake red head) as often as they did (even though it would seem not to have mattered in the end :cry: )

Who liked the ending? I know it fits, but I was kinda hoping for a little bit more of an open-ended finish to the film. I know a lot of you are happy that they didn't get to sail off into the sunset and just let the credits roll, but I really did want to have a *little* hope, but I guess the film is just more of an authentic zombie flick this way--bleh.

MrFilthyIke

Someone else who likes Richard Cheese! Sweet! :lol:

dysjunct

Someone else who likes Richard Cheese! Sweet! :lol:

How can anyone not?! He takes really lame songs and makes them entertaining. Sometimes he takes entertaining songs and makes them entertaining in a different way. And his new album, I'd Like A Virgin, comes out on 4/20!

Tracklist is here. Looks great!

Fallingtower

Never heard of Richard Cheese before, but I did like his spin on that overplayed crap-rock classic 'Down with the sickness'.

I have a few other songs that I love to hate that need to be taken down a notch or two-

'Bodies hit da' floor' by ?

And my two all time most hated songs that received airplay-

'Cult of Personality' by Living Color

&

'Epic' by Faith No More.

Please tell me these songs have been given the Dick Cheese treatment.

*Real dream...Diamanda Galas doing 'Bodies' or 'Down with the sickness' It would be awesome.

FunGuyfromYuggoth

SPOILER TALK SKIP THIS MESSAGE IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE.

So, am I the only one who thought they should have gone down to the Hobby Hut and gotten a remote control helicopter and flew Andy a brisket or something? And since we're on the subject, how did you guys feel about the whole idea of the zombies not paying attention to animals?

I want you on my team for the zombie apocalypse! The brisket would be too heavy for the average RC helicopter, but I like where you're going with the idea.

I was cool with the zombies ignoring the dog. They seem rather singleminded. Now if the dog was strapped onto a human's back, then that's another issue...

EzekialLockhart

No, I think that's pretty key to a good horror survival movie, by giving the audience a sense of stake in the proceedings. I am not sure, though what kind of mall they were in to have access to the welding equipment. I'm not familiar with Wisconsin, but do they have hardware stores in malls over there? 8O

I think you'd enjoy Max Brooks' "Zombie Survival Guide." It's fun stuff. :twisted:

A helicopter blaring over the city, leading the zombies to an open space, like a stadium or park, followed by a solid airstrike with a "daisy cutter" style bomb would do the trick in a zombie apocalypse.

Well it just so happens I live in Wisconsin. About 10 minutes from Racine(mentioned in the movie) and 45 from Milwaukee. By the way, none of that was filmed in Wisconsin. I'm pretty sure we don't have any tropical islands floating in Lake Michigan..and I didn't recognize the mall at all.

Anywho, as to the welding equipment, I'm sure sometimes things need to be repaired in malls, so I'm guessing they probably have some form of repair crap somewhere in Sub-Basement 2 or whatever. The closest thing to "hardware stores" we have in malls usually is a RadioShack or the equivalent and I'm pretty sure that they don't sell welding torches.

I actually already own the Zombie Survival Guide AND the Action Hero's Guide. I think that's what its called..Have to look around for that bugger.

And if a zombie horde ever emerged in Wisconsin, well my dad comes from a family of hunters and all my relatives has at least 30 some odd rifles and ammuntion in their basement, not to mention my dad makes his own shells. Think Tremors. :lol: I feel pretty safe here in WI.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.