Unfilmable

The last Lovecraft(ian) film you watched...

Blaggard

A few to add to the list;

Severance; Not exactly Lovecraftian but would be a good Cthulhu Now intoductary scenario with a few tweaks. Add a number of Npcs for some grisly death discoveries.

Candyman; the first one. Nice and creepy with the "investigator" slowly losing their grip on reality as the story progresses.

The Serpent and the Rainbow; for similar reasons to Candyman, though I don't think it's as good. Ditto for Lair of the White Worm for it's isolated cult feel.

Mr Frost; Not for the plot of the film, which is actually pretty good but for some tips on portraying insanity that isn't just wibbling and drooling (kudos to Jeff Goldblum).

Southern Comfort; A great film in it's own right but could so easily be translated for gameplay. Make the hillbillies cultists or hybrids. You could even have the players as National Guardsmen. As I recall, they were on exercise in the swamps and, although they had weapons, didn't have any live ammunition. Oh dear! :twisted:

Rusty-Spoon

Only one for night-owls in the U.K., but showing tonight on Zone Horror is The Halfway House which is without doubt the worst Lovecraft film I have ever seen! :wink:

thewordwasaphex

Alien and Carpenter's The Thing are seconded, very loudly, by me.

I saw Dead Birds a while ago, and it's a little bit of a letdown really. It promises a lot and doesn't really run with it.

R-Point (a Korean film) feels decidedly Lovecraftian to me.

Dagon was pants! Although the Hotel Escape sequence was pretty well done.

Oh, and Ghostbusters is delightfully Lovecraftian too. Especially the Gatekeeper...

DaveC

I just watched HPLHS's The Call of Cthulhu last night,and I enjoyed it very much!

The mood of impending discovery and doom just felt 'right' to me,and the film was beautifully shot.

Two tentacles up! :D

darryll

I enjoyed it to. I thought the period details and atmosphere were great. It was all good until the end. I thought they dropped the ball on the depiction of Cthulhu himself. The stop-motion animation just did not work and the model was kinda' cheesy looking. I felt they(the filmmakers) would have been better served to have used a highly detailed puppet; a technique similar to the Rankor monster in Return of the Jedi. Shot from dramatic angles with appropriate lighting Cthulhu could have been truly huge and menacing looking. But like I said, overall it was very enjoyable and an admirable effort. I'm really looking forward to Whisperer in Darkness.

gill-christless

I just purchased the Hammer classic 'Quatermass and the Pit', which despite it's flaws mainly imposed by it's budget, is highly Lovecraftian.

Did anyone else notice mighty Cthulhu himself as one of the most evil creatures from the dark side of Imaginationland in the three part episode of South Park?

thewordwasaphex

Yep! I nearly fell off my chair! Saying that, you'd expect Trey Parker and Matt Stone to be RP'ers just from the amount of RP references they cram in, and from the way they come across in interviews.

"I'a Dagon, you guys... I'm going home."

gill-christless
Yep! I nearly fell off my chair! Saying that, you'd expect Trey Parker and Matt Stone to be RP'ers just from the amount of RP references they cram in, and from the way they come across in interviews.

"I'a Dagon, you guys... I'm going home."

"Jews can't be paladins!" being my favourite!"

thewordwasaphex

That WoW episode was hilarious. I kept expecting more obscure references - I was definately waiting for Zezima, the legendary RuneScape player to pop up and get owned - but, even without them, I still ended up laughing so hard it hurt!

Danial

I recently watched Necronomicon, From Beyond, and Hemoglobin. I thought Necronomicon was a bit of fun, but nothing overly amazing. From Beyond did not impress me at all, which was disappointing considering how much I'd heard people praise it. Lastly, Hemoglobin was a bareable watch but again was nothing special.

My favourite Lovecraftian film of all time is easily The Thing!

Badger
I enjoyed it to. I thought the period details and atmosphere were great. It was all good until the end. I thought they dropped the ball on the depiction of Cthulhu himself. The stop-motion animation just did not work and the model was kinda' cheesy looking. I felt they(the filmmakers) would have been better served to have used a highly detailed puppet; a technique similar to the Rankor monster in Return of the Jedi. Shot from dramatic angles with appropriate lighting Cthulhu could have been truly huge and menacing looking. But like I said, overall it was very enjoyable and an admirable effort. I'm really looking forward to Whisperer in Darkness.

If memory serves, the filmmakers intended to create Call of Cthulhu using film and special effects techniques available only during the time period in which the story was actually written. Hence, no sound (except for the music), title cards, fake sea water, heavy makeup on the actors, and the depiction of the big C as you saw him.

-=badger

Mr_Lin

Severance; Not exactly Lovecraftian but would be a good Cthulhu Now intoductary scenario with a few tweaks. Add a number of Npcs for some grisly death discoveries.

Not seen it, but I'm told the Hungarian firm are proper naughty geezers.

A mate gave me a dvd of Outpost, which I'm looking forward to watching.

Guest squashua

OK.

Watched the Black and White version of The Mist (guest-starring Shub-Niggurath) last night.

It's probably the same as the color version, except in black and white. I enjoyed it very much and didn't feel that the CGI effects, which may have stood out in the color version, were too CGI.

Having read the short story years ago, I did enjoy the ending of this movie. This was a fun movie.

darryll

If memory serves, the filmmakers intended to create Call of Cthulhu using film and special effects techniques available only during the time period in which the story was actually written. Hence, no sound (except for the music), title cards, fake sea water, heavy makeup on the actors, and the depiction of the big C as you saw him.-=badger

Yeah, I understand that they were emulating the techniques used in the original King Kong in order to capture that period feeling. Stop-motion animation, though, is not something you can pick up and emulate. It is a master craft requiring much practice and time. The bonus features on the disc show them basically learning the technique on set and having a lot of set backs. Also, the model they built was overly busy and top heavy.

If they had, instead, gone with a puppet that was manually manipulated, combined with appropriate lighting, camera angles, and forced perspectives (techniques they employ throughout the rest of the production), the filmakers would have had an easier time of it and still maintained the period ethos of physical, practical effects.

I'd be willing to bet you won't see stop motion animation in the filmakers' next effort. I think they learned there lesson.

Having said all that, let me reiterate that I enjoyed the movie a great deal and appreciate the craft and skill that went into it's production.

JoeViturbo

Gotta see that black and white version of "The Mist", how is it labeled? "Director's Cut"?

Anyway, while not a movie. I just bought a new video game from the guys over at Penny Arcade. It is called "Penny Arcade: On the Rain-slick Precipice of Darkness". One of the main characters is a student in occult studies and also a group of demon worshipping mimes call a evil monster from another dimension. It has the body of a mime and the head of an octopus. So Lovecraftian it screams rip-off (or homage). Anyway, just wanted to mention it. It's more of a comedic style game, not very scary but I appreciate the references to the work of H.P.Lovecraft if they are a little ham-handed.

jabonko
Anyway, while not a movie. I just bought a new video game from the guys over at Penny Arcade. It is called "Penny Arcade: On the Rain-slick Precipice of Darkness". One of the main characters is a student in occult studies and also a group of demon worshipping mimes call a evil monster from another dimension. It has the body of a mime and the head of an octopus. So Lovecraftian it screams rip-off (or homage). Anyway, just wanted to mention it. It's more of a comedic style game, not very scary but I appreciate the references to the work of H.P.Lovecraft if they are a little ham-handed.
I wrote a review of the Penny Arcade game for YSDC. Haven't seen it posted yet. In any case, it was a fun game with Lovecraftian tomes and jokes/satire. Fun as a game, but don't buy it looking for Lovecraftiana.

Guest squashua
Gotta see that black and white version of "The Mist", how is it labeled? "Director's Cut"?

It's the second disc of the two-disc version. According to Father_Dagon, who watched it with us, it appears to be simply the original in black and white.

I felt that watching it without color was very effective, but will watch it again IN color.

Anyway, while not a movie. I just bought a new video game from the guys over at Penny Arcade. It is called "Penny Arcade: On the Rain-slick Precipice of Darkness".

I've been yelling about that one for a while in the video games threads. :)

I picked it up but it's a little too in-jokey for the general public, IMHO.

JoeViturbo

As I follower of Penny Arcade I think that a lot of the jokes are not necessarily in-jokes as much as they are just plain random. That matches the style of Penny Arcade. Unfortunately, not everyone finds it amusing. FYI: the guys at Penny Arcade are in the middle of recording a Dungeons and Dragons gaming session over at Wizards of the Coast for the official Dungeons and Dragons Podcast. It is using 4th edition and I find it quite entertaining. Oddly enough, one of the members of the group had never played D&D before. They are in their 6th episode and there will be at least 8 episodes total

Guest squashua

From Hellboy 2 - Golden Army, regarding Deltoro and "At the Mountains of Madness"

From the Talkback here:

AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS

He mentioned this during the Q&A afterward and said it was something that he would love to do, but the studio suits just don't get it. Harry asked him even after PAN'S, and he said yes, even with the success of that, studios still see HP Lovecraft as non-bankable, weird and with the story having no female characters, no love story and a tragic ending, no studio suit could understand why it needed to be made.

I liked THE GOLDEN ARMY. It was entertaining, fun to look at, and had some truly intimate moments. The Tecate scene with Abe and Red is a thing of beauty. I just know that it'll have one good week if anything because THE DARK KNIGHT is gonna smash it into the ground when it opens.

Badger

Maybe he could go to some indie or outside-the-US studio funding?

jabonko
Maybe he could go to some indie or outside-the-US studio funding?
I wonder if the internet is big enough that he could do it through Fundable? Or maybe as a ransom project!!

Lemming13

I'm looking forward to The Mist myself, and Golden Army, Dark Knight and all the rest. Suddenly this kind of thing has become flavour of the month - which usually leads, sadly, to crappy cash-ins putting everybody off because they're so bad. While I love a huge piece of mythos-flavoured eye candy as much as anyone, I can't help wishing there'd be more quietly creepy, nerve-twisting movies. Preferably not involving attractive young people being sadistically tormented by bogey-man figures for no readily apparent reason. They should be sadistically tormented by degenerate cultists for good, religious reasons! I have to say, my favourite filmed Mythos-related piece is Rough Magick, the pilot for the unmade BBC series about the Night Scholars. Low budget and rough, it still manages to make an impact. If only they'd made the series!

GHill

Watched the Thing last night on DVD. I'd forgotten just how much I liked it and just how well it would translate to a scenario.

ZenWired

Just watched The Evil Dead this past weekend - definitely B-movie fare, but it has some truly creepy moments. (The scene with the girl predicting the playing cards as they're laid out and then levitating and spouting prophecies of doom always gets me.)

The weekend prior to that it was The Resurrected, probably one of my all-time favorite adaptations of an HPL work. Again, B-movie stuff, but the spirit of the film goes a long ways, IMHO. (And the descent into the catacombs with a single faulty flashlight is a classic horror movie scene in my book!)

Based on its mention in this thread and reviews elsewhere, I'm ordering the Masters of Horror epsiode Black Cat tomorrow (even if it turns out to be not all that great, I'm a big fan of Jeffrey Combs). I'm ordering Unnamable II along with it. (Yes, the movie's total schlock, but it's horror movie schlock on which I was raised, and a kind of enjoyable schlock that you just don't see anymore. )

Zen

Lemming13

The Resurrected is already a part of my DVD collection, along with a double disc set of The Unnameable 1 and 2 (in fact, they were one reason I bought a multi-region DVD - along with In the Mouth of Madness and Captain Kronos Vampire Hunter, I could only find them on region 1). Schlock, but fun, enjoyable schlock, like the Re-animator stuff. The Thing, too, and the Evil Dead. Both good scenario material. I once ran a game based on the movie Phantoms, and it worked like a charm - it isn't overtly Mythos material, but with a tiny tweak or two it converts beautifully, and my player group paid me the ultimate compliment; they got so creeped out they had to walk home in pairs! And I had so much fun in the role of Timothy Flyte (I gave it my best Peter O'Toole). I've also used Quatermass II, Quatermass and the Pit, Event Horizon and Talos the Mummy, which I always felt got unfairly treated. The trouble was, a low budget Brit-flick stood no chance coming out anywhere near the Brendan Fraser big action epic. Not that I don't enjoy the Fraser movies, I like eye candy, but the Talos story is actually a horror movie with a lot to offer. Especially Sean Pertwee, popping up with his head all tattoed with planetary conjunctions and spouting doom. I had a ball doing that. Fortunately my group don't share my taste for obscure horror films, so it was all surprises for them. But does anyone know if Cast a Deadly Spell is out on dvd? I loved that film!