Unfilmable

The last Lovecraft(ian) film you watched...

Unfilmable

Have you gone insane (or fell asleep) watching a film based on the works of H.P. Lovecraft (or one of his followers)?

If so (and if you're able), tell us all about it!

Craig

Unfilmable

I'll start...

The Crimson Robe by Russell Welch (2007)

I just watched this today, and it's one of the best short films (around 13 minutes) I've seen. It has great production values (the effects are really top notch) and there are some incredible shots/scenes. The film was shot in HD and is inspired by Dagon and The Shadow Over Innsmouth...

H.P. Lovecraft's The Tomb by Ulli Lommel (2007)

Couldn't tell you anything about this one. I tried 3 times, fell asleep 3 times...

Maybe I'll try again someday...

deuce

Hey Unfilmable! A bunch of us watched Call of Cthulhu and The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath for HPL's b-day. HPLHS' "CoC" got a very good reaction. "D-Q" received an "A" for effort. :)

Xiphos

Every time I try and watch anything from Lommel I tend to gravitate toward the idea that he's a two bit hack of a director. He's done several movies The Tomb being one of them and also E.A. Poe's The Raven and neither had much to do with the stories at all. Even for a B movie the special effects were crap and the story lines and characters were about as solid as a piece of notebook paper in a hurricane.

The last few Lovecraftian movies I saw that I considered to be worth a darn were these, Dreams in the Witch House directed by Stewart Gordon, Cigarette Burns directed by John Carpenter which though not Lovecraft by any means still was a very good watch and is also packaged with Dreams in the Witch House. And Black Cat which was also done by Stewart Gordon that one was great for a few reasons the story was awesome and Jeffery Combs playing Edgar Allen Poe.

just my two cents let me know what you think!

BTW all of these are on the Masters of Horror collection that Showtime is putting out. They have a few others that aren't Lovecraft related like Cigarette Burns that are absolutely wonderful.

gill-christless
Have you gone insane (or fell asleep) watching a film based on the works of H.P. Lovecraft (or one of his followers)?

If so (and if you're able), tell us all about it!

Craig

I have repeatedly fallen asleep to the ARTC productions of 'A Shadow Over Innsmouth', 'The Rats In The Walls', 'Pickman's Model' and 'The Mountains Of Madness', which despite their tweaks are awesome. I thought that John Carpenters 'In the Mouth Madness' was easily the best Lovecraftian film I've ever seen, 'Re-Animator' is something I watch monthly. And 'H.P. Lovecrafts Necronomicon' is just great fun too. Jeffery Combs is just the man!

Unfilmable
Hey Unfilmable! A bunch of us watched Call of Cthulhu and The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath for HPL's b-day. HPLHS' "CoC" got a very good reaction. "D-Q" received an "A" for effort. :)

CoC is a wonderful film of course, but I'm also very proud of Dream-Quest! If you look in the credits, you'll find my name among the assistant animators... :)

Craig

Unfilmable
Every time I try and watch anything from Lommel I tend to gravitate toward the idea that he's a two bit hack of a director. He's done several movies The Tomb being one of them and also E.A. Poe's The Raven and neither had much to do with the stories at all. Even for a B movie the special effects were cr*** and the story lines and characters were about as solid as a piece of notebook paper in a hurricane.

The last few Lovecraftian movies I saw that I considered to be worth a darn were these, Dreams in the Witch House directed by Stewart Gordon, Cigarette Burns directed by John Carpenter which though not Lovecraft by any means still was a very good watch and is also packaged with Dreams in the Witch House. And Black Cat which was also done by Stewart Gordon that one was great for a few reasons the story was awesome and Jeffery Combs playing Edgar Allen Poe.

just my two cents let me know what you think!

BTW all of these are on the Masters of Horror collection that Showtime is putting out. They have a few others that aren't Lovecraft related like Cigarette Burns that are absolutely wonderful.

I really enjoyed Dreams in the Witch House (I saw it at the HPLFF on the big screen!), and I thought the Black Cat was incredible! One of Stuart Gordon and Jeffery Combs best efforts...

Cigarette Burns is the best thing John Carpenter has done in years!

Craig

Unfilmable
I have repeatedly fallen asleep to the ARTC productions of 'A Shadow Over Innsmouth', 'The Rats In The Walls', 'Pickman's Model' and 'The Mountains Of Madness', which despite their tweaks are awesome. I thought that John Carpenters 'In the Mouth Madness' was easily the best Lovecraftian film I've ever seen, 'Re-Animator' is something I watch monthly. And 'H.P. Lovecrafts Necronomicon' is just great fun too. Jeffery Combs is just the man!

I've not heard any of the ARTC productions, but I'd like to check them out...

Re-Animator is a classic and has been my favorite horror film since I first saw it in the mid 80's!

Craig

Unfilmable

Watched Michael Granberry's stop-motion animated adaptation of From Beyond last night...

A great short film (and HPLFF award winner), and easily the best adaptation of From Beyond yet...

Craig

gill-christless

I've not heard any of the ARTC productions, but I'd like to check them out...

Re-Animator is a classic and has been my favorite horror film since I first saw it in the mid 80's

Craig

In reference to th ARTC productions You will love them! i don't know how the copyright deamons would react to me giving them to PoC, (granted he probably has them!) but i also have Jeffery Combs reading the abridged (but only slightly abridged) Re-Animator audio book which is utterly tremendous!! :D

I also fell asleep to that terrbile seventies film version of the Dunwich Horror, well I cried so much that i fell asleep anyway. :cry:

Thorulfr

The last two were the HPLHS silent 'Call of Cthulhu', and the BBC TV pilot 'Rough Magic' What a pity that show wasn't picked up.

I'm still waiting for the film 'Experiment 17.'

Unfilmable
The last two were the HPLHS silent 'Call of Cthulhu', and the BBC TV pilot 'Rough Magic' What a pity that show wasn't picked up.

I'm still waiting for the film 'Experiment 17.'

You can find Experiment 17 here on Yog-Sothoth.com!

http://www.yog-sothoth.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=23

Filmmaker Christian Matzke has finished Experiment 18, and it will premiere at next months H.P. Lovecraft Film Festival...

Craig

North73

Last Lovecraftian thing I saw was Quatermass, by the BBC, as endorsed by Sandy P..get them all now, if you don't know what i'm talking about...plenty of higly upsetting meat there. All the more terrifying in the black and white incarnation. Just plain wrong...and obviously, everyone should own Dagon.

Other than that - if you are in the UK, pick up BBCs 'Children Of The Stones'...it's Wickerman lite, but effective. And I would say 'Edge Of Darkness' , also BBC, is worth a punt, especially if you are running DG.

trancejeremy

It's not really Cthulhu mythos, but the Japanese horror movie "Ghost Train" has a main character in it who is applying to go to college at Miskatonic University.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0819839/

King of a boring movie though, for the most part, though some nice imagery, and the lead character is pretty cute.

DrVincent

Heh, heh just finished watching Re-Animator. Classic 1980's HPL, squishy, sloppy, campy horror at its best. I cant wait to see the forth installment in the series "house of Re-Animator" I think is next.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0804493/

Cheers,

Dr. V

Cthonian

:?

I was trying really hard to enjoy "The Lurking Fear" a few months ago. The ghouls were pretty cool...

But one film that I considder to be the ultimate abomination was "Cthulhu Mansion" which, as far as I can tell, has absolutely nothing to do with Cthulhu...Anyone seen it?

cpt_machine

The last one I've seen is Hellraiser 5 which is the best of the series (bar the first of course) in the series.

The tale of a magical box that summons demons to take you beyond mortal experience is a pretty powerful one and in the end, most who take up the offer are driven to madness or worse and take by it and made into something foul and sinster.

DrVincent

Regarding "Cthulhu Mansion" yes I have seen it and unfortunately much like things born of the mythos, once seen can not be unseen. Ahhhhhgggguuu!!!! my eyes, my eyes, stop me before I claw them out of my head!!!!!

Yes this movie is a big stinker and not even worth watching just to say you did. :mrgreen:

Beyond01

Well, it worked with a different mythos, but I thought Pan's Labrynth was a masterful Lovecraftian experience.

David_Hallett
Well, it worked with a different mythos, but I thought Pan's Labrynth was a masterful Lovecraftian experience.
Certainly a great film. Not sure whether I'd call it Lovecraftian...probably not, though YMMV. Inspiring viewing for any Keeper though, especially as an object lesson in how to maintain two parallel versions of reality without asserting the primacy of either. Highly recommended!

Kadath

My last Mythos related movie would be GDT's Hellboy - just check out the special effects on those beasties, and a star appearance of Di Vermiis Mysteris (sp?). Lovecraft in all but the license and a demon superhero in the storyline.

I am extremely excited about GDT's planned At the Mountains of Madness movie, its going to be superb IMO. In a way I hope the special effects team from Pirates of the Carribean get involved as they are long time Cthulhu fans and as can be seen fron Davy Jones' wiggly chin, really good at doing tentacles!

That aside the last one i watched would have been Dagon. I must make some time to watch the HPLHS CoC. Oh and i watched the trailer for The Whisperer in the darkness last night - which succeeded in making me jump. But I am a wuss.

Kadath

TheDarkOne

Since The lurking fear was mentioned here i thought i should mention Hemoglobin.

The main character suffers from a disease that runs in his family and in hope of finding a cure goes looking for his relatives hoping they have some sort of cure for it. As it turns out his relatives are nowadays a bunch of inbred deformed canibals living in tunnels under a town causing all kind of troubles.

Basically the story has quite a bit in common with the storie "the lurking fear", i don't think anything from the mythos are mentioned but it sure has a mythos feeling to it.

Anyway i found it pretty entertaining and worth watching.

It got a horrible rating over at imdb thou, but then imdb ratings shouldn't be taken to seriously.

Toad-Killer-dog

Hmm, the last good Lovecraft movie I saw was The Resurected, suprisingly good for a modern update of a Lovecraft story.

It had a very CoC rpg like feel to it, you be the judge if thats a good thing in a movie or not. 8)

CharlesDexterWard
Since The lurking fear was mentioned here i thought i should mention Hemoglobin.

<snip>

It got a horrible rating over at imdb thou, but then imdb ratings shouldn't be taken to seriously.

It's also been released as "The Breed" (as on the IMDB) and "The Descendant" (the title under which I saw it on cable a few years back).

Sometimes you have to look extra hard to find the obscure films. :)

Mr_Lin
Last Lovecraftian thing I saw was Quatermass, by the BBC, as endorsed by Sandy P...

I watched Quatermass 2 a few days ago. The monsters at the end are very Lovecraftian (quite Shoggoth like I thought). It's also a major influence on the British section of Delta Green: Countdown. Really good film although I gather Nigel Kneale wasn't over impressed. Would quite like to see the TV series version now.