Sign in to follow this  
Laraqua

Cocktails

GreveMagnus

The Cruzan Single Barrel is highly drinkable, but the 2-year old was a disappointment. I won't be buying that again.

Zacapa is wonderful (although certainly at the sweeter end of the range). Excellent choice for an after-dinner snifter.

J. Bally is totally great too, at least the 7-year old version ... but my favourite Martinique is St James. Both the Hors d'Age and the 12-year-old are superb.

I haven't tried Mount Gay Extra Old yet, but I do have a bottle of Bristol Classic Rum's 2000 Fine Barbados Rum, which is distilled by Mount Gay.

Recently, I've been drinking a lot of the Plantation Rum 1998 Jamaican.

duckyboy1975
The Eldrich Horror .

1 part Absinthe

1 part Midori ( Crème de Menthe is an acceptable alternative according to taste )

3 parts Vodka ( Gin is an acceptable alternative according to taste )

- Combine ingredients, shake over ice, serve in a fluted glass rimmed with salt, and garnished with a sprig of seaweed.

I was gonna say, any Cthulhu inspired drink has to have some absinthe in it. This drink sounds delectable.

_________

People living deeply have no fear of death. - Anais Nin

led rope light poker sets disc brakes

Fu_Manchu
Recently, I've been drinking a lot of the Plantation Rum 1998 Jamaican.

The 1990 Guyana, 1992 Venezuela, 1993 Barbados, and 1993 Trinidad Plantation Rum offerings that I've tried have all been superb, although for my taste not something that I'd drink frequently. Getting reacquainted with a fine spirit after leave of absence is a favourite pleasure of mine.

Oh, and I don't believe I've tried St.James (a motorcycle riding, ceremonial magician friend of mine living on the Moors was responsible for introducing me to rum in the first place, and since she can effortlessly drink me under the table, my memory of exactly what I've tried, and when is a little sketchy at times), but four fingers of Zacapa in a rocks glass, and a Gil Gonzales Solado Extra Madoro Corona (or instead of a cigar, I'll occasionally enjoy a nice rough shag with one of my churchwardens) after dinner and I'm a happy man.

The Luck Roll

4 parts Bénédictine

2 parts Curaçao, Grand Marnier, or Cointreau

6 parts Champagne

A dash of bitters

Simple syrup to taste

- serve straight up in a highball glass with a four leafed clover.

[basically an ambitious champagne cocktail]

GreveMagnus
I'll occasionally enjoy a nice rough shag with one of my churchwardens

Well, I'm sure that sounds very nice ...

I worked in Holland for a couple of years and I will never forget the time my Dutch boss went up to one of my British co-workers (who was busy rolling a cigarette) and asked, straight out, "Zoë --- could I have a shag?" 8O :lol:

Fu_Manchu

Oh, I have quite an impressive collection of churchwardens that I keep in a special rack, I can often be seen with one of them in my mouth.

The Dunwich Horror

2 parts vodka

1 part white rum

1 part young grappa

2 parts dry vermouth

- stir chilled, serve straight, in a highball glass.

The Leng

2 parts white rum

1 part vodka

3 parts cream liqueur (Baileys Irish Cream is traditional)

3 parts coconut milk

- mix ingredients, serve over crushed ice in a highball glass (frosting the rim of the glass with sugar is optional).

The 93 !

1 part absinthe

2 parts tequila

1 part triple sec (or similar)

1 part dry vermouth

Dash of lime juice

Dash of simple syrup

- mix ingredients, serve over crushed ice in a salt rimmed highball glass garnished with a twist of lime (repeat if necessary).

Fu_Manchu

Space Mead

Take of heavy water what quantity you please, and make it more than blood-warm, and dissolve honey in it till 'tis strong enough to bear an egg, the breadth of a shilling; then boil it gently near an hour, taking off the scum as it rises; then put to about nine or ten gallons seven or eight large blades of mace, thirty nutmegs quartered, twenty cloves, three or four cups of honey oil, two or three roots of ginseng, and a quarter pound of psilocybe cubensis; put these spices into the kettle to the honey and water, a whole lemon, with a sprig of nightshade and a sprig of scullcap; tie the nightshade and scullcap together, and when they have boiled a little while take them out and throw them away; but let your liquor stand on the spice in a clean earthen pot till the next day; then strain it into a vessel that is fit for it; put the spice in a bag, and hang it in the vessel, stop it, and at three months draw it into bottles. Be sure that 'tis fine when 'tis bottled; after 'tis bottled six weeks 'tis fit to drink.

Fu_Manchu

In honour of the finale of the Walker In The Wastes campaign, here's a cocktail to try out, from the rather splendid airships.net.

As the Hindenburg approached New York on its maiden voyage to America, on the first of many successful transatlantic flights in 1936, the passengers learned that the bar had run out of gin.

(The staff of Hindenburg was well equipped to cater to German tastes  a typical dinner was Meatballs in Caper Sauce  but less equipped to satisfy Anglo-American desires.)

In the absence of gin, but with an abundant supply of kirschwasser, passenger Pauline Charteris reacted to the emergency with panache, and improvised a Kirschwasser Martini to the delight of her thirsty companions. She then led her fellow passengers in singing a new song she had just learned in Nassau: “Mamma don’t want no gin, because it makes her sin.â€Â

Pauline was the 24 year old wife of Leslie Charteris, the author who created Simon Templar  better known as The Saint  and in honor of Pauline I have created the Pauline Charteris kirschwasser cocktail.

There is no reliable documentation of the ingredients of Pauline’s actual Kirschwasser Martini aboard Hindenburg, so I used my best mixology skills to create what is more of a tribute than a recreation.

The Pauline Charteris Hindenburg Cocktail

* 1.5 oz kirschwasser

Kirschwasser (pronounced /KIRSH-VAHS-ər/, German for “cherry waterâ€Â) is a clear, colorless fruit brandy traditionally made from double distillation of morellos, a dark-colored cultivar of the sour cherry. However, the beverage is now being made from other kinds of cherries as well.

The cherries are fermented complete (along with their stones).

* A tad less than 1/4 oz dry vermouth

Vermouth is a fortified wine, flavoured with aromatic herbs and spices ("aromatized" in the trade) such as cardamom, cinnamon, marjoram and chamomile. Some vermouth is sweetened; however, unsweetened, or dry, vermouth tends to be bitter. The person credited with the second vermouth recipe, Antonio Benedetto Carpano from Turin, Italy, chose to name his concoction "vermouth" in 1786 because he was inspired by a German wine flavoured with wormwood, a herb most famously used in distilling absinthe. The modern German word Wermut (Wermuth in the spelling of Carpano's time) means both wormwood and vermouth. The herbs in vermouth were originally used to mask raw flavours of cheaper wines, imparting a slightly medicinal "tonic" flavour.

* A splash of Grenadine

Grenadine is traditionally a red syrup. It is used as an ingredient in cocktails, both for its flavour and to give a reddish/pink tinge to mixed drinks. "Grenadines" are also made by mixing the syrup with cold water in a glass or pitcher, sometimes with ice.

The name "grenadine" comes from the French word grenade meaning pomegranate, as grenadine was originally prepared from pomegranate juice or cherry juice, and sugar. However, "grenadine" is also a common name applied to syrups and beverages consisting of other fruit juices (e.g. raspberry, redcurrant, blackberry) and sugar syrup. The characteristic flavor can be obtained from a mixture of blackcurrant juice and other fruit juices with the blackcurrant flavour dominating.

* Lemon peel*

(*A peel… just the oily skin… not a “twist†with the bitter white pith.)

Shake with ice, enough to make cold, but not enough to dilute too badly.

Fu_Manchu

Okay, heres a Walker' character based cocktail round-up.

The John G. Dawson - It's got gold in it.

1 part Goldschläger

1 part Gold Strike

1 part Danziger Goldwasser

3 parts Vodka

3 parts Amaretto

1 part Orange Juice

- Except for the schnapps, pour all the ingredients into an ice-filled Collins glass. Stir and float the schnapps on top. Serve.

The Alice Ffolkes - Variation on the Pink Lady.

2 parts Gin

1 part Grenadine

4 Parts Cream Liqueur (Baileys Irish Cream is traditional)

- Pour the gin, grenadine and cream liqueur into a mixing glass filled with cracked ice. Shake and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Serve and garnish with a cherry if desired.

The Sebastian Ffolkes - Yet another Pimm's cup variation.

1 part Pimms

1 part Damson Gin

1 part Maraschino

3 parts Blackcurrant cordial

6 parts Lemonade

- Mix the blackcurrant and the lemonade together. Add the gin, maraschino and pimms together stirring well but do not shake. Garnish with fruit pieces. Mix a batch and serve in wine glasses liberally.

The Jeff Hendricks - Variation on the Black & Tan.

2 parts Pale Ale

1 part Brown Ale

1 part Barley Wine

2 parts Porter

- Into a pitcher first slowly pour the pale, then the brown ale, the barley wine, and lastly the porter in such a way that they barely mix. Serve in the largest glasses you can find.

The Helga Lipstein - Variation on the German Chocolate Cake (no I hadn't heard of it either).

1 part Advocaat

2 parts Kahlua

1 part Dooley's

2 parts Vermeer Chocolate Liqueur

12 parts Stirred Vanilla Ice Cream

Pecan Nuts (crushed)

- Mix all ingredients and pour into chilled cocktail glasses filled with crushed ice. Garnish with some crushed pecan nuts on top. Serve.

Fu_Manchu

The Harold Goodenough - Variation on the R.A.F. cocktail.

3 parts Calvados

1 part Grappa

1 part Rakia

1 part Lemon Juice

- Shake with ice, and strain into a cocktail glass.

The Dan Hardy - Variation on the Tractor (strayed pretty far on this one).

1 part Kahlua

1 part Creme de Cacao

8 parts Babycham

8 parts Stout

- Pour kahlua, and creme de cacao into a suitably large glass, add stout, and then pour babycham in very slowly.

The Meredith Jones - Variation on the Journalist / Fleet Street cocktails.

2 parts Sweet Vermouth

2 parts Dry Vermouth

3 parts Gin

1 part Curaçao

1 part Triple Sec

1 part Lemon Juice

- Shake all ingredients over ice, strain into a chilled cocktail glass.

The Owen Marshell - An ambitious Grog recipe.

3 parts Dark Rum

3 parts Gold Rum

3 parts Bourbon

1 part Lime Juice

8 parts Hot Water

1 stick Cinnamon Bark

- Combine ingredients together in a large mug, sweeten to taste.

The Pascoe McReady - Variation on the Sweaty Mexican Lumberjack (... what?).

1 part Rye Whisky

1 part Yukon Jack

1 part Tequila

Dash of Tabasco Sauce

- Combine ingredients in a shot glass, top with tabasco.

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this