Laraqua

Cocktails

Laraqua

Shoggoth.net worked out a cocktail...

Miskatonic

1 tonic water

1 Midori

1 Frangelico

I think we should do similarly and work out a bunch of different CoC-inspired drinks. Not least because of the CoC-type LARP I wanna do for my party.

Here's one I made (originally called the River Murry) but which I think would make a neat ...

Shoggoth Slime

1 shot Midori

1 shot coca cola

Fill glass half full of lemonade

Add scoop of icecream

If done right, the lemonade and the icecream should interact to create a frothy mess of greeny-brown slime.

Fu_Manchu

The Eldrich Horror .

1 part Absinthe

1 part Midori ( Crème de Menthe is an acceptable alternative according to taste )

3 parts Vodka ( Gin is an acceptable alternative according to taste )

- Combine ingredients, shake over ice, serve in a fluted glass rimmed with salt, and garnished with a sprig of seaweed.

The Sanity Check .

1 part tincture of Kelp (combine one tablespoon of dried, powdered kelp with half a litre of ethanol, and store - stirring occasionally - in a cool, dark place, for at least one lunar month, strain before serving).

3 parts Absinthe ( Aragh, Oghee, Cachaça, Rakia, Tapetusa, Chirrinchi, Chicha, Cococho, Chirrinche, Slivovice, Meruňkovice, Lotoko, Hjemmebrændt, Cleren, Pitrinche, Berunte, Puro, Trago, Puskar, Pontikka, Kotipolttoinen, Ponu, Ponantsa, Tuliliemi, Korpiroju, Korpikuusen Kyyneleet, Moscha, Brlja, Eau de Vie, Gnôle, Goutte, Lambic, Chacha, Schwarzgebrannter, Pακή, Tσικουδιά, Tσίπουρο, Cusha, Clarin, Házipálinka, Landi, Desi, Desi Daru, Tharra, Dheno, Mohua, Chullu, Narangi, Kaju, Saaraayam, Santra, Poitín, Filuferru, Doburoku, Changaa, Kumi Kumi, Lao Lao, Katchasu, Langkau, Montaku, Pакија, Rakshi, Oogogoro, Kainkain, Abua, Agbagba, Akpeteshi, Aka Mere, Sapele, Hjemmebrent, Heimebrent, Heimkok, Heimert, Chirrisco, Pisco, Bimber, Samogon, Księżycówka, Łącka Śliwowica, Pitorro, Pitrinche, Pitriche Cañita, Lágrima de Monte, Lágrima de Mangle, Cañita, Desi Daru, Tzuika, Palinka, Samogon, Tabouretovka, Siddique, Peatreek, Slivovica, Borovička, Tropinovec, Mampoer, Kasippu, Lao Khao, Sura Khao, Heli Arrakku, Katukambi, Suduwa, Yadong, Ba-Bash, Moonshine, Rubbing Alcohol, Cough Medicine, or Horse Linament is an acceptable alternative according to how shaky you happen to be feeling )

3 parts Parfait d'Amour ( Grand Marnier, Curaçao, Cointreau or Triple Sec is an acceptable alternative according to taste )

1 part Simple Sugar Syrup

6 parts Champagne ( various effervescent, mildly alcoholic drinks can be substituted here as a more, or less acceptable alternative )

- combine ingredients, shake (quietly) with trepidation, keep serving until you feel better.

Guest squashua

The Roaring 20's

1 shot of Club Soda.

Guest squashua

C'mon people.

PROHIBITION!

Fu_Manchu

Well,... I thought it was funny.

MikeC

Being that my old crew were a bunch of unreconstructed anglophiles, the

cocktail of choice was your basic G&T.....

MikeC

GreveMagnus

Next time my group passes through Shepheards Hotel, Cairo, I intend to serve that establishment's signature cocktail, the Suffering Bastard:

I oz fresh lime juice

4 oz chilled ginger beer

1 dash Angostura bitters

1 oz brandy

1 oz gin

Stir and serve in a double old-fashioned glass filled with ice cubes. Garnish with mint sprig and slice of orange speared with maraschino cherry.

Nodens

"Take the juice from one bottle of that Ol' Janx Spirit.

Pour into it one measure of water from the seas of Santraginus V

Allow three cubes of Arcturan Mega-gin to melt into the mixture (it must be properly iced or the benzene is lost).

Allow four litres of Fallian marsh gas to bubble through it (in memory of all those happy Hikers who have died of pleasure in the Marshes of Fallia).

Over the back of a silver spoon float a measure of Qualactin Hypermint extract, redolent of all the heady odours of the dark Qualactin Zones.

Drop in the tooth of an Algolian Suntiger. Watch it dissolve, spreading the fires of the Algolian suns deep into the heart of the drink.

Sprinkle Zamphour.

Add an olive.

Drink...but very carefully."

zackspacks
"Take the juice from one bottle of that Ol' Janx Spirit.

Pour into it one measure of water from the seas of Santraginus V

Allow three cubes of Arcturan Mega-gin to melt into the mixture (it must be properly iced or the benzene is lost).

Allow four litres of Fallian marsh gas to bubble through it (in memory of all those happy Hikers who have died of pleasure in the Marshes of Fallia).

Over the back of a silver spoon float a measure of Qualactin Hypermint extract, redolent of all the heady odours of the dark Qualactin Zones.

Drop in the tooth of an Algolian Suntiger. Watch it dissolve, spreading the fires of the Algolian suns deep into the heart of the drink.

Sprinkle Zamphour.

Add an olive.

Drink...but very carefully."

Cheers Zaphod ! :lol:

Nightshade
C'mon people.

PROHIBITION!

Well, to be fair, the cocktail really took off during Prohibition . . .

NB: the book includes recipes for period cocktails. ;)

<Channeling the spirit of David A. Embury> If by cocktail you mean juiced up, egg or creamed concoction designed to mask the taste of alchohol during prohibition, then yes. :)

A wonderful and in my mind definative work on Coctails is The Fine art of Mixing Drinks by David Embury, found here. It too has perioed coctails and many preceeding the roariing twenties such as Negus, Bishop and Tom and Jerry.

blackstone

I discovered a new drink just this past week: Dark & Stormy.

1 8 oz glass

ice cubes

dark rum

ginger ale or ginger beer

1. put several cubes of ice in glass

2. pour 1 shot of dark rum

3. fill rest of glass with ginger ale/beer

4. stir and enjoy!

I like to have 2 shots myself.

Apparently it's the drink of the island of Bermuda.

So...to CoC. A "Dark & Stormy" (dark and stormy nights) plus the drink of Bermuda (Bermuda Triangle).

It just might fit.

:twisted:

Karloff

Speaking as a Bermudian: yes, it is, and yes, it's tasty.

Where did you pick it up? There are a few NY bars I used to go to that serve it and I know it's gone as far as London, but I don't think Black Seal Rum (which is what you really need to make one) has penetrated overseas markets all that much.

Here's something to warm the cockles of your cockles:

Shrub

1 bottle dark rum (eg. Black Seal)

1 bottle light/gold rum (eg. Cockspur's)

1/2 bottle falernum

1/2 bottle grenadine

1 glass Cointreau

1 glass white wine

Mix.

Drink slowly. ;) I used to make this for LARP events. It made being hit repeatedly by a rubber sword that much more bearable.

sapper-joe
C'mon people.

PROHIBITION!

I tried to do my own home brewing, but got out of it do to the fact that I am always traveling and it was too much of a shock on the yeast, which keep dying. I have been in several homebrewing clubs, and tasted some really nasty 'bathtub gin'. But I have also had the pleasure of meeting and drinking some the finest Kentucky moonshine that was so smooth, it was amazing (yes, I had to first convince them that I was not a T-man as well!) :wink:

blackstone
Speaking as a Bermudian: yes, it is, and yes, it's tasty.

Where did you pick it up? There are a few NY bars I used to go to that serve it and I know it's gone as far as London, but I don't think Black Seal Rum (which is what you really need to make one) has penetrated overseas markets all that much.

Shrub

1/2 bottle falernum

1/2 bottle grenadine

1 glass Cointreau

1 glass white wine

Mix.

Drink slowly. ;) I used to make this for LARP events. It made being hit repeatedly by a rubber sword that much more bearable.

OK, I'll admit, I cheated a little. I used Sailor Jerry rum. Still was pretty good.

But you can find real dark rum in the States: Captain Morgan Tattoo.

Damn good stuff. Been taking a bottle with me to cons for the past 5 years, I think.

Rev_Danno

The Margrave

1 oz. Vodka

1 oz. Gin

2 oz. Campari

4 oz. Grapefruit Juice

-dash of bitters

-Garnish with Orange twist.

GreveMagnus
I don't think Black Seal Rum (which is what you really need to make one) has penetrated overseas markets all that much.

Royal Mile Whiskies in Edinburgh usually carries it and can ship to most places.

Shrub

1/2 bottle falernum

1/2 bottle grenadine

1 glass Cointreau

1 glass white wine

Mix.

Drink slowly. ;).

Whereas falernum is just about impossible to find.

Karloff

Bah! The struggle's worth it. ;)

Must admit I'm not fond of Captain Morgan's; it's a bit too rough. A good dark rum ought to be drinkable on its own. The best I've found so far is sold by Samuel Smith's in their pub chain - very tasty!

Someone once told me that they sell Black Seal in some supermarkets in the UK now. I'm not sure which chain it is. I think it may be something like Sainsbury's . . . . probably not Asda, tho. ;)

GreveMagnus

My standard dark rum for mixing is Myers's.

My absolute favourite dark rum is another Jamaican, Appleton 12 year, which is really too good to mix. Goes well in a so-called Hundred Dollar Mai Tai, though.

I've also experimented with Wood's Navy Rum in a Dark & Stormy. That one is certainly available in UK supermarkets.

Karloff

Appleton is exceptionally pleasant.

A friend of mine who works for a food tasting company used to get in bottle after bottle of obscure rums, of which they'd use say, one glass. Then the rest of the bottle went to whoever wanted to take it home with them. That was the first time I had Appleton's; the memory lingers on!

Nightshade

For Rum I like Purto Rican Ron del Barrilito and Don Q Anejo. Both are hard to get in the United States but are worth it.

Rev_Danno

Here are a few drinks that require a San. check.

Ghoul Drool

2 oz. Gin

1 oz. dry Vermouth

4 oz. Coca Cola

-garnish with salted rim

The Mind Blasting Horror

2 oz. Tequila

2 oz. creme de mint

4 oz. root beer

-served warm

-garnish with creme de mint infused whipped cream

Fu_Manchu

On the subject of Rum, there's several small plantation brands that are the equal of any other aged spirit on Earth. Appleton, Doorly's and Gosling's Black Seal get talked about a lot but they're highly over-rated, and very middle of the road products.

Mount Gay extra old, from Barbados is quite easy to get hold of, as is Ron Zacapa centrenario (a bottle of which I always keep close at hand for emergencies) from Guatamala, J. Bally from Martinique (which tastes like some insane Frenchman p*ssed off to Martinique, and decided to try making cognac out of sugar cane,... guess what actually happened?), and Matusalem from Cuba. Now those are proper Rums.

The Spot Hidden.

4 parts chilled Café Mocha

2 parts chilled Espresso

2 parts Dark Rum

2 parts Bourbon

4 parts Guaraná Antarctica

Guaraná Antarctica "Guaraná Antarctica is the most popular guaraná-flavored soft drink in Brazil, created in 1921 by Pedro Baptista de Andrade for Companhia Antarctica Paulista, now part of Anheuser-Busch InBev. The drink is also available in Portugal, Spain, Honduras, Denmark, Switzerland, parts of the United Kingdom and the United States. The drink is produced only in three countries - Portugal, Brazil, and Japan. It is the second soft drink brand most sold in Brazil, behind only Coca-Cola, and absolute leader in its segment. Currently, it is ranked among the 15 brands most sold in the world."

Badger

All this talk about dark rum and no one's mentioned Cruzan Black Strap yet?

Well, let me be the first then. :D

-=b

Fu_Manchu

I've only ever tried Cruzan Single Barrel, and while I'd have to admit that it was undeniably an exceptionally fine rum, it wasn't a patch on Mount Gay Extra Old, probably the equal of Matusalem (by any yardstick), not as interesting as J. Bally, and not in the same league as Zacapa.

Sign in to comment.

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this