Author(s): Padraic Barrett
Artist(s): none credited for maps, possibly Padraic Barrett?
Appears in: Horror Stories From The Red Room
Reginald Clarke and Madeline Werner disappeared without a trace on the night of 8th August 1914. Over seven years have now passed and the lawyer handling Clarke’s estate intends to have him declared legally dead. To assist him he has enlisted the aid of the investigators.
Spoilers - Keepers Eyes Only
Players should not read any further.
Reginald Clarke abducted and murdered Madeline Werner, a young scullery maid in his employ. She was the sacrifice for a ritual from the Seven Cryptical Books of Hsan, which Clarke wrongly believed would raise his dead wife from the grave. When the ritual appeared fail, so Clarke buried Werner’s corpse in the basement of his mansion, and began to hide the evidence of his crime. Too late did he realize that the ritual had in fact actually succeeded, although not in resurrecting his beloved. In his ignorance, Clarke had in fact invoked Nyarlathotep in the form of the Bloated Woman, and thereby drew its malevolent attention. Clarke was driven insane and then his life snuffed out; and his spirit cursed to re-enact the events of that fateful night over and over again. His mansion in life became his prison in death, and the investigators must navigate hauntings and mysterious time slips at the Clarke mansion to solve the mystery of what happened that fateful night, lay the unquiet spirits to rest, and complete the investigation into the family heirs that they were hired to look for.
- Maps of the four stories of the haunted mansion
- Handout #1 (a police report)
- Connecticut (just long enough to be sent on the adventure)
- Sandisfield, Massachusetts
- Grand Hotel
- Sandisfield Police Department
- Library, etc.
- Jethro & Judith Brown's home (Bramble Cottage on West Street)
- Clarke House
- Bloated Woman avatar of Nyarlathotep (mentioned in background, but should not appear on-screen)
Tomes and Artifacts:
- Seven Cryptical Books of Hsan
- miscellaneous texts for translating Chinese
- The Emerald Tablet
- I Ching
- Nameless Cults (1909 edition)
Campaigns / Scenarios: (none)
List dedication, trivia, images, anything else of note.
Comments to Keepers about this scenario; Possibly how to run it successfully. Keep general DISCUSSION on the talk page.
Setting: Nominally set in 1920s Lovecraft Country, but could easily be moved elsewhere.
- The "time slips" (weird events repeating over and over in the various rooms) might not appeal to all players, and some may find it annoying. * The scenario background mentions Nyarlathotep and "The Bloated Woman", but any Mythos nasty can be substituted with virtually no changes to the scenario.
Dependence on Halloween: Halloween is hardly mentioned at all, so the scenario requires no "buy-in" from players unfamiliar with the holiday.
Sequel Plot Hooks: (none)