The Halfway House (2004 film)
"Halfway between our world... and theirs!" In this low-budget women-in-prison-meets-tentacle-monster exploitation film, a woman investigates the disappearance of her sister at a halfway house run by an evil nun.
- Release Date: 2004
- Country/Language: US, English
- Genres/Technical: Adult, Horror, Comedy
- Runtime: 1 hr 30 min
- Starring: Mary Woronov, Janet Tracy Keijser, Shawn Savage
- Director: Kenneth J. Hall
- Writer: Kenneth J. Hall
- Producer/Production Co: BV Entertainment Inc.
- View Trailer: (link) (NSFW / Not Safe for Work)
- Rated: R (strong Sexual Situations and Nudity, Violence and Profanity; an unrated version exists, presumably with even stronger sexual content)
A rough measure of how "Lovecraftian" the work is:
- S____ (One Tentacle: Debateably Lovecraftian; has almost no direct connection to Lovecraft's work)
I've not seen this, but a glance at the film trailer reveals what looks like a standard-issue low-budget women-in-prison exploitation film, with tentacles.
Note: This rating is not intended as a measure of quality, merely of how closely related to Lovecraftian "Weird" fiction the work is.
- T. W. Anderson at Severed Cinema (link) - ""The Halfway House" is sensory overload of the highest order; a veritable orgy of every conceivable genre cliché."
- Rick Blalock at Terror Hook Reviews (7/10) (link) - "...this film calls for a unique sense of humor and apparently I'm fortunate enough to have one I guess......."
- Jorgen Lundin at Independant Flicks (6/7) (link) - "The Halfway House isn´t scary but it´s very entertaining and it´s an example of a that sometimes you can get a positive result of mixing of horror and comedy."
Spoiler Section (Highlight to Read)
A woman investigates the disappearance of her sister at a halfway house run by an evil nun.
Comments, Trivia, Dedication
Associated Mythos Elements
- race: Tentacle Monster
- race: Human Cultists
- race: Deadites
- location: Mary Magdalene Halfway House for Troubled Girls