The Curse (1987 film)
- The Curse AKA The Farm, The Well (1987 film)
- The Curse II: The Bite (1989 film)
- Curse III: Blood Sacrifice AKA Panga (1991 film)
- Curse IV: The Ultimate Sacrifice AKA Catacombs (1988/1993 film)
The first film is loosely based on "The Colour Out of Space (fiction)"; a boy and his sister wisely avoid food and drink after a meteorite lands on their Tennessee farm. Subsequent films in the series are sequels-in-name-only.
- Release Date:
- Country/Language: USA and Italy, English
- Genres/Technical: Horror, Science Fiction
- Runtime: 1 hr 32 min
- Starring: Wil Wheaton, Claude Akins, John Schneider
- Director: David Keith
- Writer: David Keith, H.P. Lovecraft (original story)
- Producer/Production Co: Trans World Entertainment (TWE)
- View Trailer: (link), (link), (link), (link)
- TVTropes: (link)
- IMDB: (1987), (1988), (1989), (1991)
- Rated: R (Violence, Adult Content)
A rough measure of how "Lovecraftian" the work is:
- SSS__ (Three Tentacles: Lovecraftian)
The first film is loosely based on "The Colour Out of Space (fiction)".
Note: This rating is not intended as a measure of quality, merely of how closely related to Lovecraftian "Weird" fiction the work is.
- HorrorNews dot-net, (link) - "This one is definitely worth its cult status and should definitely be checked out by everyone who enjoys some toe curling, bile rising, eyes shut tight gross out horror."
- Ken Wynne at Attack from Planet B (link) - "...The Curse is remarkably faithful to the source material; albeit poorly executed."
- THE CURSE: A boy and his sister wisely avoid food and drink after a meteorite lands on their Tennessee farm.
- THE CATACOMBS: AKA "Curse IV: The Ultimate Sacrifice", an American woman and a monk investigate an Italian monastery plagued by supernatural forces.
- CURSE II - THE BITE: Young lovers go through an old desert test-site full of nuclear-mutated snakes.
- CURSE III - BLOOD SACRIFICE: An African witch doctor summons a creature to torture an American who interrupted a tribal ceremony.
Comments, Trivia, Dedication
- Curse IV was completed in 1988 with the title Catacombs, but when its intended distributor went out of business, the film was not released. The film debuted instead on video and laser disc in 1993 with the title Curse IV: The Ultimate Sacrifice in an attempt to capitalize on the mild success of the Curse films. This however, is illogical, as the film was made before both Curse II: The Bite (1989) and Curse III: Blood Sacrifice (1991).
Associated Mythos Elements
- fiction: "The Colour Out of Space (fiction)"