The Confessions of St. Augustine, Chapter CCLXVIII
Author(s): Tim Hutchings
Artist(s): Tim Hutchings
Appears in: Dead Leaves Fall and Other Halloween Horrors
Your band of Investigators have led long, hard lives doing the world one good turn after another. You’ve fought eldritch evil, Nazis, dark things from beyond – alien threats are commonplace to you. Through it all you’ve kept a tenuous grasp on your sanity and your ethics. You are good people who have done great things, and now is your time to rest. You’ve earned it, but there’s one last thing you need to do, one last project is soon coming to its culmination. Now lets all listen to the radio and wait for morning…
- review by Skyman and NeferSutekh at Yog-Sothoth.com
- Reviews by Skyman and NeferSutekh, with Feedback from Scenario Authors
Spoilers - Keepers Eyes Only
Players should not read any further.
Spoiler Section (Highlight to Read)
A one-shot campaign of tragedy in which a group of investigators must cover up an accidental death until a Great Work is completed in the morning, designed to disintegrate into a Fiasco as the investigators are goaded into setting in motion a series of events that can only end in self-inflicted disaster.
- Six retired investigator pre-gen characters, most with illustrations
- Several pages of handout-friendly descriptions of weird artifacts, including an illustration
- Prologue (meant to be read aloud, could be copied/printed and cut out as a hand-out, too)
- Happy Vale rest-home/safe-house in 1950s Connecticut
- Small Shoggoth
- Insane reanimated corpse
Tomes and Artifacts:
- The Great Work (something the investigators must stay in the house to complete by morning)
- The Confessions of St. Augustine, by one of the investigators
- Reanimation Machine
- Wooden War Club of mute idiocy
- Book of Baneful Bargains, Spell to Contact Nyarlathotep
- Blessed Bushman Spear, guaranteed to slay its mark
- Shoggoth in a Jar
- Cheap Suitcase Full of Money
- Napoleonic Powder Horn Enchanted to Speak With the Dead
- Hideous Manikin
- Soporific Powder
Campaigns / Scenarios: (none)
List dedication, trivia, images, anything else of note.
Trivia: The editor left an editor's note in the scenario.
Comments to Keepers about this scenario; Possibly how to run it successfully. Keep general DISCUSSION on the talk page.
Setting: A rest-home/safe-house in 1950s Connecticut, and probably best left in that setting as a one-shot scenario.
Special Notes: Wonderfully detailed pre-gens in the form of elderly retired investigators are included. The scenario is set up with the understanding that the PCs will take a bad situation, and make it worse, resulting in a darkly ironic fiasco the investigators are unlikely to walk away from unscathed. There's a vaguely "pulp" feel to the backstories and investigator histories, but the scenario is more of a subversion of Pulp Cthulhu than it is a straight use of the genre; I'll categorize it under "comedy", but it's like the sort of dark, cynical, ironic humor that appears in classic Film Noir than straight comedy. The investigators are set up to fail spectacularly, and have already created one disaster before the scenario even starts; even in a one-shot scenario with pre-gen characters, this sort of doomed setup won't appeal to every group.
Dependence on Halloween: Minimal. A Halloween prank by costumed visitors goes wrong before the scenario actually starts, but aside from the fact that a victim was wearing a costume, there's no other reference to the holiday. As a one-shot scenario, it's probably not worth writing the holiday out of the scenario, and it doesn't really demand any "buy in" from groups unfamiliar with or uninterested in Halloween to use the scenario as-is.