The Case of Howard Phillips Lovecraft (1998 short)
The Strange Case of Howard Phillips Lovecraft (1998), AKA The Case of Howard Phillips Lovecraft, or just Howard Phillips Lovecraft
A documentary about and against Lovecraft with a focus on psychoanalyzing his fiction and letters, portrayed through wooden puppets on a stage.
- Release Date: 1998
- Country/Language: US, English
- Genres/Technical: Documentary, Art/Experimental
- Setting: (documentary)
- Runtime: 45 min
- Director: Pierre Trividic, Patrick Mario Bernard
- Writer: Pierre Trividic, Anne-Louise Trividic
- Producer/Production Co: Facets, Arte Video
- Rated: (not rated) (perhaps equivalent to a G or PG?)
A rough measure of how "Lovecraftian" the work is:
- SSS__ (Three Tentacles: Lovecraftian, was probably written by Lovecraft himself.)
Apparently a fairly negative documentary about Lovecraft, focusing on and perhaps exaggerating and caricaturing his worst qualities. Not "Lovecraftian" in the sense that the term might be used to describe works of fiction, but still of peripheral interest to fans of Lovecraft and his work.
Note: This rating is not intended as a measure of quality, merely of how closely related to Lovecraftian "Weird" fiction the work is.
- Aaron Vanek at Amazon.com, (link) - "...Not only do we get a nice overview of Lovecraft's life, but we also explore the moods and feelings of his stories. By the end of the picture, I felt I could almost see the world through Lovecraft's eyes. I think that's a rare accomplishment for a biography..."
Comments, Trivia, Dedication
Associated Mythos Elements
- TO DO