Your basic, generic tentacle Monster.
Origin: Perhaps Greek Mythology, in the form of Scylla and Charybdis, if not earlier.
Arkham is the home of many strange things.
A big monster like that on such a pointy roof?
You may ask: How does it stay up there, if it's so difficult?
That, I can tell you in one word: Tentacles!
Tentacles, tentacles! Tentacles!
Tentacles, tentacles! Tentacles!
— H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society (HPLHS), "Tentacles"
The lowest common denominator of "Lovecraftian" monsters: if you need a monster fast and don't feel like being very creative, just say "TENTACLES", and IT appears: the Tentacle Monster. You generally never see it, it remains safely off-screen somewhere where you won't need to describe it much... except for the tentacles reaching up out of bottomless black pools or pits, or out of unspeakable black books, or out of some poor sap's mouth or ears or eyes or brain or whatever.
Wherever you can find the generic Lovecraft pastiche, the generic Tentacle Monster is usually not far behind. You know the routine: A bland New England antiquarian buys a sinister book in a book shop, rushes home with it, begins reading from the pages, and accidentally summons the Nameless Namelessness With No Name. Then, IT appears, and eats the antiquarian's face: The Nameless Namelessness With No Name, named TENTACLES!
Tentacles are also easy to find in your standard sci-fi Alien rip-off, menacing buxom and scantily-clad girls on Weird Tales magazine covers, lurking around standard fantasy dungeons, and under the standard nerd's bed, menacing Hentai girls.
Your basic Tentacle Monster is probably a minion of some wizard or a denizen of some alien world or just a random Monster In Your Closet - no name needed.
However, just as common is the same monster, given a name generated by beating your forehead into your keyboard repeatedly to get a random collection of letters (Qouq'Outi-Glrha), maybe added to a lazy appellation or title (Qouq'Outi-Glrha, the Nameless One, Eater of Faces!), and you have a virtually instant, royalty-free, copyrightable "Great Old One". (The events, characters, and Great Old Ones depicted in this fanfic are fictional. Any similarity to copyrighted Great Old Ones, dead, living, dreaming, or undead, is purely coincidental.)
Heresies and Controversies
- There is only one Tentacle Monster, and it can be everywhere at once. It's name is Tentacle Monster.
- Tentacle Monsters enjoy pistachio ice cream and tapioca pudding.
- Tentacle Monster loves surprise parties. Or being surprised by parties of investigators. Or investigator party surprise, its favorite dessert.
Associated Mythos Elements
- tome: The Mumblenomicon
- mortal enemy: You - The Chosen One!
- cult: the "Dark Ones", a cult dedicated to wearing black hooded robes, mumbling chants, chanting mumbles, explaining their plans to heroes, and waiting around for the "stars to be right" before doing anything fun; fortunately, the stars are right weekly, every Friday night at about midnight....
- location: The Forbidden Zone
- domain: Evil, Darkness, Dark Evil, and Evil Darkness
- My collection of Naughty Tentacle Furry Fan-Fic pictures on Deviant Art.
- My generic Lovecraft fanfic collection.
- I think I saw some in an August Derleth story, once.