Insidious (2010 franchise)
A team of paranormal investigators struggle to prevent evil spirits from trapping vulnerable people in a terrifying realm called The Further.
- Release Date: 2010-present
- Country/Language: US/UK, English
- Genres/Technical: Horror, Fantasy, Thriller
- Starring: Patrick Wilson, Rose Byrne, Ty Simpkins, Barbara Hershey, Lin Shaye, Leigh Whannell, Angus Sampson
- Director: James Wan, Leigh Whannell
- Writer: James Wan, Leigh Whannell
- Producer/Production Co: Alliance Films, IM Global, Haunted Movies
- View Trailer: (link), (link), (link), (link)
- Rated: PG-13 (Violence, Profanity, Adult Content)
A rough measure of how "Lovecraftian" the work is:
- S____ (One Tentacle: Debateably Lovecraftian; has almost no direct connection to Lovecraft's work)
This film franchise has very little in common with Lovecraft on the surface, but it does make use of a portion of a brand of Theosophical mysticism that Lovecraft was familiar with and used as part of the basis of his fantasy and science fiction, in the form of astral Dreamlands, and disembodied (and perhaps alien) intelligences which seek to escape from their prisons in "The Further" and transplant themselves across time and space into human bodies.
Note: This rating is not intended as a measure of quality, merely of how closely related to Lovecraftian "Weird" fiction the work is.
- (review needed)
Spoiler Section (Highlight to Read)
- INSIDIOUS (2010) - Parents take drastic measures when it seems their new home is haunted and their comatose son is possessed by a malevolent entity.
- INSIDIOUS: CHAPTER 2 (2013) - Soon after their showdown with evil spirits that possessed their son, the Lamberts, Renai and Josh, are ready for their lives to return to normal. However, something still is seriously off, especially with Josh, who -- unbeknown to Renai -- is possessed too. In order to free Josh's soul and finally defeat the malevolent forces around them, Lorraine Lambert and her ghost-hunting friends investigate the past to save her family's future.
- INSIDIOUS: CHAPTER 3 (2015) - When teenager Quinn Brenner senses that her late mother is trying to contact her, she seeks help from gifted psychic Elise Rainier. However, Elise's tragic past makes her reluctant to use her abilities. After Quinn is attacked by a malevolent entity, her father (Dermot Mulroney) pleads with Elise for help. With support from two parapsychologists, Elise ventures deep into The Further -- where she finds a powerful demon with an insatiable craving for human souls.
- INSIDIOUS: CHAPTER 4 (2017) - (plot unknown at this time, but likely to explore psychic Elise's rediscovery of her gifts for astral projection, second-sight, and mediumship....)
Comments, Trivia, Dedication
Associated Mythos Elements
- To save a vulnerable victim from possession by an alien intelligence, a group of paranormal investigators must enter a trance and make a dangerous astral expedition into a distant region of the Dreamlands known as "The Further", to thwart the demonic attacks, and lead the dreamer back to the waking world of the Daylands....