Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (2010 film)
A young girl sent to live with her father and his new girlfriend believes that she has released creatures from a sealed ash pit in the basement of her new home.
- Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (1973 made-for-TV)
- Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (2010 remake)
- Release Date: 2010
- Country/Language: US/Australia/Mexico, English
- Genres/Technical: Horror, Fantasy, Thriller
- Runtime: 1 hr 39 min (1 hr 14 min for the 1973 version)
- Starring: Katie Holmes, Guy Pearce, Bailee Madison (1973 version stars Kim Darby, Jim Hutton, Barbara Anderson)
- Director: Troy Nixey (2002), John Newland (1973)
- Writer: Nigel McKeand (1973 teleplay), Guillermo del Toro and Matthew Robbins (screenplay)
- Producer/Production Co: Miramax, FilmDistrict, Necropia
- View Trailer: (link), (1973)
- Rated: R (Violence)
A rough measure of how "Lovecraftian" the work is:
- SS___ (Two Tentacles: Barely Lovecraftian; could be a very loose adaptation)
Strange little creatures try to lure a little girl into a sort of sinister Dreamland....
Note: This rating is not intended as a measure of quality, merely of how closely related to Lovecraftian "Weird" fiction the work is.
- Andy Kaiser at Andy's Film Blog (link) - "However, the film does not go for as many scares as you would think and the ones it does go for are not handled particularly well."
- Richard Scheib atg the Science Fiction, Horror and Fantasy Film Review (2/5 Stars) (link) - "On the other hand, what Don't Be Afraid of the Dark resembles is a well oiled and polished scare show, one that produces a good deal of creepiness and atmosphere, that wheels out all the expected moves perfectly capably, but in the end never pushes the material past a point where it rattles an audience in their seat..."
Spoiler Section (Highlight to Read)
A remake of the 1973 made-for-TV movie. Lonely and introverted, young Sally has just arrived at the 19th-century mansion that her father and his girlfriend are restoring. While exploring the sprawling estate, Sally discovers a hidden, long-undisturbed basement. Unwittingly, she unleashes a race of malevolent, dark-dwelling creatures who intend to drag her and her family down into the mansion's bottomless depths.
Comments, Trivia, Dedication
Associated Mythos Elements