Dead Light (Scenario)
Author(s): Alan Bligh
Appears in: Dead Light (Supplement)
Campaign: (none, but could be adapted into an introductory scenario)
"Dead Light: Surviving one night outside of Arkham!" The storm had been brewing for days and now it hits on a lonely stretch of counry road through the wooded hill country north of Arkham, just as the investigators are passing through! Combined with restless, idle youth and the desire for easy money, something has been released out there amid the darkness, the howling wind, and lashing rain, something unnatural: the Dead Light. A 1920s Call of Cthulhu encounter taking place over one dark and stormy night, set north of Arkham, in which the investigators stray into the hunting grounds of a newly unleashed terror from beyond, and may not live to see the morning.
Link to outside reviews or helpful pages.
- Review/Tips by Seth Skorkowsky on YouTube
- Pookie at Reviews from R'lyeh, (link) - "...Although not quite suitable for an inexperienced Keeper, Dead Light is more than suitable for new players, whilst experienced players will enjoy an evening’s play up against something other than a traditional threat, whether drawn from traditional horror or that of the Cthulhu Mythos. Containing (almost) everything necessary to play an evening of survival horror tinged with Cosmic Horror, Dead Light: Surviving One Night Outside Of Arkham is a solid scenario and the best title released by Chaosium in years...."
Spoilers - Keepers Eyes Only
Players should not read any further.
Dead Light is a short, encounter-based scenario for Call of Cthulhu set in Lovecraft Country during the 1920s. It involves the investigators quite literally running into a chain of unnatural and nightmarish events that are a threat both to the lives and sanity of all who are entangled in them. Essentially an exercise in Lovecraftian-flavored survival horror, the scenario takes place during a dark and stormy night on a lonesome road outside Arkham, and its course (in narrative time) lasts for the duration of that storm—some several hours at the least or until the dawn at most. Although there is option to investigate the whys and wherefores of what is happening, ultimately the investigators’ chief goal will be to survive the night. Engaging with the unfolding events, rather than fleeing from them, will likely be the best path to ensuring survival.
- Handwritten Note: Instructions on how best to handle the "deadlight"
- Map: Map of Orchard Run
- Map: Map of the Diner/Rest Stop/Service Station
- Map: Greenapple Acre Cottage (doctor's house)
- Illustration: Picture of the Diner/Rest Stop/Service Station
- NPC Character Sheets (Not intended as handouts, but do include character portraits)
- Service Station
- Greenapple Acre Cottage
Creatures: "Dead Light"
Tomes and Artifacts:
- Doctor's Journal (contains sparse entries concealing a horrible secret)
- Doctor's Bible (contains only an inscription of significance)
- Metal Coffer
- Funny-Smelling Wax (seal for Coffer)
- Antique Chain and Coin-Like Aklo-Letter Medal (unspecified significance; left open to Keeper as plot seed)
Campaigns / Scenarios: (none)
- This book was given away free to backers of the Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition Kickstarter at Christmas, 2013. It was also made available more generally as a paid PDF product available from Chaosium's website.