Cthulhu Mansion (1992 film)
Cthulhu Mansion, AKA La mansión de los Cthulhu and Black Magic Mansion (1992 film)
"Beyond evil. Beyond Terror. Beyond the gates of Hell." Fugitive teens hide out in a carnival magician's mansion, stirring ancient soldiers of Satan.
- Release Date: 1992
- Country/Language: Spain/UK, English
- Genres/Technical: Horror
- Runtime: 1 hr 35 min
- Starring: Frank Finlay, Marcia Layton, Luis Fernando Alvés
- Director: Juan Piquer Simón
- Writer: Juan Piquer Simón
- Producer/Production Co: Dister Group, Filmagic Pictures, Golden Pictures
- View Trailer: (link)
- IMDB: (link)
- Rated: R (Violence, Profanity, Adult Content)
A rough measure of how "Lovecraftian" the work is:
- S____ (One Tentacle: Debateably Lovecraftian; has almost no direct connection to Lovecraft's work)
Sort of a blatant rip-off of Evil Dead (1981 franchise), with almost nothing to do with Cthulhu except the title of a standard-issue Evil Tome, and some schlocky Deadite slasher action; one gets the impression that everything the film-makers knew about Lovecraft's work, they learned from The Evil Dead and Re-Animator.
Note: This rating is not intended as a measure of quality, merely of how closely related to Lovecraftian "Weird" fiction the work is.
- Horror and Sons, (link) - "Now 100% Cthulhu-free!!!! ...Chandu finds an ancient book on the shelves, entitled simply enough, “”Cthulhu”. Think of it as the Necronomicon from the Evil Dead series, only this one was made with a notebook and Sharpie marker by a 'misunderstood' 15-year-old...."
- Horror News dotnet, (link) - "What I thought was lacking is the level of Lovecraft association. It was clear that it had a relation to the man’s work but lacked the kind of depth and integration that we’d expect from a marketing ploy using the man’s name.... It’s not great 90s work but Cthulhu Mansion does have a few decent parts that might entertain horror fans."
Spoiler Section (Highlight to Read)
Chandu the magician finds an evil tome called Cthulhu, and is soon beset by meddlesome teen ne'er-do-wells who kidnap his assistants and hole up in his mansion to hide from the law following a drug deal gone bad, where they accidentally unleash the satanic army of hell in the form of a few zombies and molesting vines....
Comments, Trivia, Dedication
Associated Mythos Elements
- compare/contrast Evil Dead (1981 franchise)