In the Mythos
A bipedal monstrosity whose hind legs resembled those of a batrachian, with forelimbs uplifted almost as if in menace, sucker-tipped, webbed hands extended toward the viewer. The head was a seething mass of pseudopods or tentacles, amidst which a single glaring eye could be discerned.
— Lin Carter, “Perchance to Dream”
Ythogtha, appearing in "The Thing in the Pit" as a colossal, cyclops-like Deep One, is a one of the Great Old Ones and the (first? second?) son of Great Cthulhu. He was imprisoned by the Elder Gods beneath the seabed near Ponape and R'lyeh, in the Abyss of Yhe.
Heresies and Controversies
Claimed in Lin Carter's Xothic Cycle to be the son of Cthulhu and Idh-yaa, brother of Zoth-Ommog, Cthylla, and Ghatanothoa, and like his younger brother Zoth-Ommog, Ythogtha is served by Father Ubb and the Yuggs.
Description of Cult:
Associated Mythos Elements
- race: Deep Ones
- race: Ubb and the Yuggs
- race: Star-Spawn of Cthulhu
- tome: The Ponape Scripture
- location: Abyss of Yhe, near Ponape and R'lyeh
- planets: Xoth, home planet, which is clustered with Abbith, Ymar, and Zaoth
- deities: Claimed in Lin Carter's Xothic Cycle to be the son of Cthulhu, brother of Zoth-Ommog, Cthylla, Ghatanothoa