White Noise (2005 franchise)
- White Noise (2005); White Noise: The Light (2007) AKA White Noise 2,
"There are nearly 7 billion audio and video recording devices in homes around the world. Everyone of them is a portal. There are on average 774 near death experiences in the USA every day. 80% of people report seeing a blinding white light before being brought back from the dead. Sometimes they don't come back alone." A pair of indirectly-related films that add a technological aspect to paranormal and supernatural investigations and phenomenon; the title refers to the neutral, random mix of "static" noise frequencies which are believed to best allow ghostly electronic voice phenomena to be transmitted, heard, and recorded.
- Release Date: 2005-2007
- Country/Language: UK/Canada/USA, English
- Genres/Technical: Horror, Science Fiction, Fantasy, Drama, Thriller
- Starring: Michael Keaton, Deborah Kara Unger, Ian McNeice; Nathan Fillion, Katee Sackhoff, Craig Fairbrass
- Director: Geoffrey Sax; Patrick Lussier
- Writer: Niall Johnson; Matt Venne
- Producer/Production Co: Universal Pictures, Gold Circle Films, White Noise UK Ltd.; Brightlight Pictures, Gold Circle Films
- View Trailer: (link), (link)
- Rated: PG-13 (Violence, Profanity, Adult Content)
A rough measure of how "Lovecraftian" the work is:
- S____ (One Tentacle: Debateably Lovecraftian; has almost no direct connection to Lovecraft's work)
Very little "Lovecraftian" content, though the (pseudo-)scientific investigation and high-tech equipment are reminiscent of Lovecraft inspiration William Hope Hodgson's Carnacki the Ghost-Finder, and perhaps of some Call of Cthulhu RPG investigation styles.
Note: This rating is not intended as a measure of quality, merely of how closely related to Lovecraftian "Weird" fiction the work is.
- (review needed)
Spoiler Section (Highlight to Read)
- WHITE NOISE (2005) - An architect's desire to speak with his wife from beyond the grave, becomes an obsession with supernatural repercussions.
- WHITE NOISE: THE LIGHT (2007) - Following the loss of his family, a man attempts suicide only to discover upon waking that he can identify people who are about to die
Comments, Trivia, Dedication
Associated Mythos Elements
- TO DO
- tome: the audio recordings serve a similar purpose
- The investigators get involved in crime investigations when paranormal researchers discover that their specialized equipment is recording ghostly clues to the killers' activities....