Tremors (1990 franchise)
The Tremors franchise is a monster movie series centering on the vicious attacks of subterranean worm-like creatures known as graboids. It began in 1990 with the successful release of Tremors, which spawned four direct-to-video films; three sequels and a prequel. In addition to the film series a television series that premiered on the SyFy Channel was produced, only to be cancelled after 13 episodes; there were also video games, comic books, and other tie-ins.
- Tremors 4: The Legend Begins (2015)
- Tremors (1990)
- Tremors 2: Aftershocks (1996)
- Tremors 3: Back to Perfection (2001)
- Tremors the Series (2003)
- Tremors 5: Bloodlines (2004)
- Release Date: 1990-present
- Country/Language: US, English
- Genres/Technical: Comedy, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Horror, Action
- Setting: Modern, Perfection (town), Nevada, Weird Western
- Starring: Kevin Bacon, Fred Ward, Finn Carter, Michael Gross, and others
- Director: Ron Underwood, and others
- Writer: S.S. Wilson, Brent Maddock, and others
- Producer/Production Co: Universal Pictures, No Frills Film Production, SyFy Channel and others
- View Trailer: (link), (link), (link), (link), (link), (link), (link), (link)
- IMDB page: (link), (link), (link), (link), (link), (link)
- TVTropes page: (link)
- Rated: PG-13 (Violence, mild Profanity and Adult Content)
A rough measure of how "Lovecraftian" the work is:
- S____ (One Tentacle: Debateably Lovecraftian; has almost no direct connection to Lovecraft's work)
Not especially "Lovecraftian", aside from some tentacle-monsters which, at a stretch, can be compared to Cthonians. Still, this series wouldn't be far out of place used as part of a Weird West Call of Cthulhu setting.
Note: This rating is not intended as a measure of quality, merely of how closely related to Lovecraftian "Weird" fiction the work is.
- (review needed)
Spoiler Section (Highlight to Read)
- TREMORS IV: THE LEGEND BEGINS - In this prequel, prim East Coast dandy Hiram Gummer arrives in the town of Rejection, Nev., to investigate a series of strange deaths at the silver mine he owns. He receives help from local innkeeper Christine Lord and miner Juan Pedilla. But, when it turns out that gigantic killer worms that burrow underground are responsible for the miners' deaths, Hiram decides he'd better call in expert gunslinger Black Hand Kelly to save the day.
- TREMORS - Repairmen Val McKee and Earl Bassett are tired of their dull lives in the small desert town of Perfection, Nev. But just as the two try to skip town, they happen upon a series of mysterious deaths and a concerned seismologist studying unnatural readings below the ground. With the help of an eccentric survivalist couple, the group fights for survival against giant, worm-like monsters hungry for human flesh.
- TREMORS II: AFTERSHOCKS - After spending all the reward money from his first encounter with the giant man-eating worms called "Graboids," Earl Bassett agrees to hunt more of the deadly creatures at a Mexican oil refinery for $50,000 each. Knowing that he cannot face the monsters alone, Earl recruits Burt Gummer, another veteran of the incident in Nevada, to supply the firepower. There is only one problem: The Graboids have now evolved to attack above ground....
- TREMORS III: BACK TO PERFECTION - Legendary monster-killer Burt Gummer has returned to Perfection, Nev., scene of the original attacks by the worm creatures with razor teeth known as graboids. Sure enough, the creatures attack again, only now they're split into graboids, shriekers and a new mutation known as ass-blasters, which are propelled into flight by combustible flatulence. It's up to Burt, Jack Sawyer and other locals to save their town from destruction.
- TREMORS: THE SERIES - The story for the TV series picks up from where Tremors 3: Back to Perfection leaves off. It follows the residents of Perfection Valley attempting to co-exist with a Graboid called "El Blanco", while dealing with problems caused by failed government experiments, mad scientists, or ruthless real-estate developers.
- TREMORS V: BLOODLINES - Survivalist Burt Gummer and his new sidekick Travis are hired to track down an ass-blaster terrorizing South Africa. As they engage in battles with the aggressive creatures, they discover an even more lethal creature.
Comments, Trivia, Dedication
- A television series planned during the filming of Tremors II would have seen a successful Val and Earl working for a tabloid paper to investigate a variety of weird monster and alien sightings; this series never went into production.
- An upcoming new series on Amazon is planned, with Kevin Bacon ("Val") reported to be reprising his role for the first time since the original film (link).
- A 2018 film is also planned (link): "The sequel finds Burt Gummer and his son Travis at a remote research station, where they must go up against Graboids that have been converted into living weapons."
Associated Mythos Elements
- fiction: compare to Brian Lumley's novel, The Burrowers Beneath (fiction)
- setting: Weird West
- race: "Graboids" (compare to Cthonians), including land- and air-capable variants known as "shriekers" and "ass-blasters"
- location: Perfection, Nevada (formerly known as Rejection, Nevada)