To Sleep, Perchance to Dream
Author(s): Jeff Okamoto
Appears in: H.P. Lovecraft's Dreamlands
In this introduction to the Dreamlands, an old friend of the investigators and an ardent follower of their exploits has sent a gift of a box of chocolates; those who partake of the chocolates have remarkably vivid dreams: dreams of the strange dimension of the Dreamlands.
Spoilers - Keepers Eyes Only
Players should not read any further.
Spoiler Section (Highlight to Read)
A short introductory adventure in which an old friend of the investigators, weary of the waking world, has decided to commit suicide after mailing the gift and reside completely in Dream; the gift chocolates are laced with a drug that will allow the investigators to share the Dream so that their friend can say a proper farewell.
- Note from Friend
- Anywhere in the Waking World
- Dreamlands: Deeper Slumber, Cavern of Flame, Nir, Temple of the Elder Gods, Ulthar, etc.
- (none, by default, aside from hints of Dreamlands creatures in the background)
Tomes and Artifacts:
- Drugged candy (helps investigators enter the Dreamlands)
Campaigns / Scenarios: (none)
List dedication, trivia, images, anything else of note.
Comments to Keepers about this scenario; Possibly how to run it successfully. Keep general DISCUSSION on the talk page.
Setting: Non-specific outside of the Dreamlands aspect; this scenario can be plugged into any Waking World campaign in any location or era without any special re-writing.
- This scenario is very short and non-violent, making it a nice introduction to the Dreamlands.
- However, keepers may wish to find a more reliable and less sinister-sounding mechanism for hooking the adventurers into the scenario than having a friend drug the investigators:
- For example, if a fellow investigator died or went mad in a previous adventure and it seems appropriate, perhaps have the investigators dream of getting an invitation from that character which leads the investigators into Deeper Slumber to meet the departed investigator-turned-NPC to say a proper farewell.
- Alternatively, give the investigators news of a trusted mentor's suspicious suicide first, then have a to-be-sent-upon-my-death package arrive with a ritual to be followed explicitly telling the investigators that following it will take them to the Dreamlands for a proper farewell, and clues to help solve in the next adventure what is actually the mentor's murder, which in turn can lead to a bigger conspiracy and campaign arc....
- Having the priests at the gate of Deeper Slumber force some investigators unsuited for Dreaming to awaken seems like a wasted opportunity; some keepers may prefer to leave those investigators behind with the priests for a chat that can relieve insanity, answer the PCs' questions, and reveal clues to a larger campaign... perhaps with the conversation drifting from time to time into more ordinary dreams and nightmares due to the characters' instability and low Cthulhu Mythos score interfering with the Dreaming.
Sequel Plot Hooks: Nothing specific, beyond being explicitly an introduction to future Dreamlands scenarios; the PCs will have a friend and ally in the Dreamlands following this scenario.