The Library (1993 short)
"The Library", a segment from the anthology film: Necronomicon: Book of the Dead (1993 film)
In the wrap-around story for the anthology film Necronomicon: Book of the Dead (1993 film), "The Library", H. P. Lovecraft (Jeffrey Combs) learns of a monastery where a copy of the Necronomicon is held. With sinister cultists in pursuit, Lovecraft steals the infamous tome, and scans the volume for story ideas....
- Release Date: 1993
- Country/Language: USA, English
- Genres/Technical: Anthology, Horror, Science Fiction, Fantasy
- Starring: Jeffrey Combs et.al.
- Director: Brian Yuzna
- Writer: Brent V. Friedman ("The Library")
- Producer/Production Co: Takashige Ichise, Brian Yuzna
- View Trailer: (link)
- IMDB: (link)
- Rated: R (Adult Content, Sex and Nudity, Violence)
A rough measure of how "Lovecraftian" the work is:
- SS___ (Two Tentacles: Lovecraftian)
A misguided pastiche, featuring H.P. Lovecraft as a character.
Note: This rating is not intended as a measure of quality, merely of how closely related to Lovecraftian "Weird" fiction the work is.
- Y.Whateley: "The Library" is a somewhat goofy but fun story in which the famous author Lovecraft breaks into a mysterious monastery library to steal the forbidden Necronomicon from shape-shifting cultist-monks, so he can loot the tome for story ideas; with heavy makeup, Jeffrey Combs even looks a bit like Lovecraft. It's passably entertaining, but not great, though, and sadly the anthology film this wrap-around segment comes from doesn't get very much better than this.
THE LIBRARY: In the wrap-around story of the film, H. P. Lovecraft (Jeffrey Combs) learns of a monastery where a copy of the Necronomicon is held. Lovecraft steals the infamous tome, and scans the volume for story ideas, with sinister cultists in pursuit....
Comments, Trivia, Dedication
Associated Mythos Elements