The Faculty Party
Author(s): Jon Hook
Artist(s): (none credited)
Appears in: Plan 09 From Halloween.
The Investigators are invited to a Halloween party at the Miskatonic University faculty of English.
Spoilers - Keepers Eyes Only
Players should not read any further.
Spoiler Section (Highlight to Read)
The Hermetic Order of the Silver Twilight has a long-term plan to infiltrate the MU English Department as a means of gaining access to forbidden tomes. The first step in this plan involved "buying" a Teaching Assistant position in the department and installing a young cultist in the role; the plan is to leverage that into escalating privilege through nefarious means, whether romantic or murderous. The Investigators stumble into these machinations: while attending a faculty party they witness what seems to be a grisly suicide as a female professor throws herself three stories down into an atrium.
- Maps of the Miskatonic University English Department
- ground floor (U.S. 'first' floor)
- upstairs (English 'first' floor, U.S. 'second' floor)
- top floor (English 'second' floor, U.S. 'third' floor)
- Suicide Note
- Poem for Janice
- Love note for Janice
Tomes and Artifacts:
- Glass From Leng (broken)
- Enchanted African spear, etched with its folklore in Swahili (2d8+2 damage, doubles throwing skill) (belongs to the Dean)
- Other African art, statues, shield, and artifacts (non-magical items) (belongs to the Dean)
- Protective Magic Circle on floor of Simon's office
- Blood-soaked Knife and hooded cloak (non-magical items)
- Scroll containing the spell "Create Ward of Naach-Tith" (hidden in handle of Blood-soaked Knife)
Campaigns / Scenarios: (technically none, but it does reference Shadows of Yog-Sothoth)
Scenario includes a new spell "Create Ward of Naach-Tith" which is a variant of the "Create Barrier" spell of the same name.
Special notes: The scenario indicates that investigators could have any profession or background, but suggests that the easiest characters to integrate into the story would be university professors and students. There doesn't seem to be a way to "win" this scenario (the most successful plan could probably be for the characters to just stand at the back of the party with their eyes closed and hope nothing eats them before the monsters achieve their goals and return to wherever they came from!) Theoretically, the investigators might try to defeat both a Shoggoth and a Hound of Tindalos in combat, but....
Dependence on Halloween: Minimal; the scenario takes place at a faculty Halloween party, but could as easily take place at any faculty party or assembly with no changes to the scenario.