Sphere (1998 film)
"Terror can fill any space." A spaceship containing a mysterious alien artefact is discovered under three hundred years' worth of coral growth at the bottom of the ocean.
- Release Date: 1998
- Country/Language: US, English
- Genres/Technical: Sci-fi, Drama, Thriller
- Runtime: 2 hr 14 min
- Starring: Dustin Hoffman, Sharon Stone, Samuel L. Jackson
- Director: Barry Levinson
- Writer: Michael Crichton (novel), Kurt Wimmer (adaptation)
- Producer/Production Co: Warner Bros., Baltimore Pictures, Constant c Productions
- View Trailer: (link)
- Rated: PG-13 (Violence, Profanity)
A rough measure of how "Lovecraftian" the work is:
- S____ (One Tentacle: Debateably Lovecraftian; has almost no direct connection to Lovecraft's work)
There are ancient aliens, an mysterious artefact, and some tentacles....
Note: This rating is not intended as a measure of quality, merely of how closely related to Lovecraftian "Weird" fiction the work is.
- The Film Connoisseur, (link) - "3/5 - had potential, but wasn’t given the time and dedication needed to make a truly special film...."
Spoiler Section (Highlight to Read)
When psychologist Norman Goodman wrote a report for the government on how to deal with extraterrestrial life forces, he didn't expect his recommendations to be used. Now that a secret government agency is investigating what may be an alien spaceship that has been discovered partially buried on the floor of the Pacific Ocean, Norman finds that the plan he outlined is being put into effect and that the team he named in his report has been assembled.
Comments, Trivia, Dedication
Associated Mythos Elements
- TO DO
- race: tentacle monster (giant squid)
- artefact: sphere
For more soggy deep-sea tentacle horror movies, see: