Saturday the 14th (1981 franchise)
"Just when you thought it was safe to look at the calendar again." Saturday the 14th is an American horror comedy spoofing classic horror movies, followed by Saturday the 14th Strikes Back in 1988. In the original film, an all-American family move into a haunted mansion where the TV will only play The Twilight Zone all day, and discover a sinister evil tome which, once opened, allow a handful of bizarre monsters to escape from their prison....
- Release Date: 1981
- Country/Language: USA, English
- Genres/Technical: Comedy, Fantasy, Horror, Sci-Fi
- Runtime: 1 hr 15 min, 1 hr 18 min
- Starring: (various; none of the cast of the original film returned for the sequel)
- Director: Howard R. Cohen
- Writer: Jeff Begun, Howard R. Cohen
- Producer/Production Co: Julie Corman (wife of Roger Corman, New World Pictures, Pacific Trust
- View Films: (link), (link)
- Rated: PG (TV-friendly mild horror and mild adult humor)
A rough measure of how "Lovecraftian" the work is:
- S____ (One Tentacle: Debateably Lovecraftian; has almost no direct connection to Lovecraft's work)
The film sort of affectionately parodies many standard weird fiction and Gothic tropes, with the family summoning weird demons using a book that is essentially The Necronomicon.
Note: This rating is not intended as a measure of quality, merely of how closely related to Lovecraftian "Weird" fiction the work is.
- Horror News dotnet, (link) - "There are some movies that stand the test of time and no matter how long ago they were made still manage to enthrall audiences. I really wish I could say the same for Saturday the 14th.... I think the main problem with the film as I watch it all of these years later is that it is a product of the times.... Be warned if you decide to watch this: most will find it dull and while mildly humorous, not laugh out loud funny. Fans of eighties horror movies will like it more if not for the simple fact they saw it once upon a time and remembered it fondly."
Spoiler Section (Highlight to Read)
SATURDAY THE 14TH: A family moves into a house inhabited by scary creatures and a number of close calls ensue. SATURDAY THE 14TH STRIKES BACK: A 16-year-old learns that the monsters lurking in his parents' new home are actually guardians to the gateway of hell.