Il Mistero di Lovecraft – Road to L. (2005 film)
A group of young documentary film-makers discover unprecedented evidence that the reclusive American horror writer may have journeyed to Italy to find inspiration from local folk stories...
- Release Date: 2005
- Country/Language: Italy, English and Italian
- Genres/Technical: Horror (found footage), Thriller, Drama, mockumentary
- Runtime: 1 hr 32 min
- Starring: Eraldo Baldini, Alfredo Castelli, Donatella Ceccarello
- Director: Federico Greco, Roberto Leggio
- Writer: Federico Greco, Roberto Leggio, Igor Maltagliati, and some material from H.P. Lovecraft
- Producer/Production Co: Digital Desk
- View Trailer: (link)
- IMDb: (link)
- Rated: (not rated) (perhaps equivalent of a PG or PG-13, for some Profanity and Adult Content?)
A rough measure of how "Lovecraftian" the work is:
- SSS__ (Three Tentacles: Lovecraftian)
What is allegedly a found-footage film following Lovecraft's footsteps through a fictional trip to Italy for inspiration actually becomes a sort of loose, low-budget adaptation of "Shadow Over Innsmouth (fiction)".
Note: This rating is not intended as a measure of quality, merely of how closely related to Lovecraftian "Weird" fiction the work is.
- Jocke Andersson at RubberMonsterFetishism (link) - "If you are a fan of Lovecraft you will probably like this a lot, it is one of the better movies of that genre, but you end up wanting more. A wasted, yet excellent opportunity."
- Fred Anderson at Schmollywood Babylon (link) - "What makes this one so fresh and intelligent is that it stays away from the - nowadays - most over-used gimmick in these kind of movies: ghosts. ... For fans of Lovecrafts and lovers of mystery and the occult, Road to L is a minor masterpiece."
- D.W. Bostaph Jr at Dread Central (3.5/5 Stars) (link) - "This is an effectively creepy film. From the interviews with locals over their encounters with fish men to houses with music erupting from them when no good soul lie alive in any direction for miles, to a final scene that for all true fans of subtlety is a goose bump... ... it keeps its poker face stoic all the way till the nerve shattering end."
- Mitchell Wells at Horror Society (link) - "The Road to L is a exceedingly well made and well acted “mockumentary” in the tradition of, yet far superior to The Blair Witch Project..."
Spoiler Section (Highlight to Read)
A group of young documentary film-makers discover unprecedented evidence that the reclusive American horror writer may have journeyed to Italy to find inspiration from local folk stories, and follow his foot-steps into a Gothic nightmare.
Comments, Trivia, Dedication
Associated Mythos Elements
- TO DO
- fiction: "Shadow Over Innsmouth (fiction)"
- location: Po Delta, Italy
- character: H.P. Lovecraft is a minor "character" in the film's occult mystery story
- tome: The Filò Tales
- location: Santa Maria Punta, Italy
- race: Deep Ones